Random Freezes even in BIOS with new computer

greenpaladin7

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Here is the story. I just bought all new parts to build a new computer. I got everything assembled nicely. Loaded Windows 7 64-bit without a problem. Got all the drivers updated and windows patches. Was playing games like Battlefield 3 for about 1 1/2 hours and all of a sudden it freezes. So I reboot and I play some more and it freezes again. The problem only seems to get worst and it's freezing anywhere, even while I'm in the BIOS. It freezes while surfing the web, playing games, running tests, loading windows, or even when it's sitting at the desktop idle. I've tested each and every hardware piece. All tests passed for RAM, HD, Video Card, CPU, Temperatures, Voltage. Everything seems to be running right except when it freezes. Only a couple times has it crashed and only once have I got a BSOD of which I didn't catch what the error was. Does anyone have a clue on what's going on or what else I can do to test? Here are my specs...

MB: Asus Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W
GPU: XFX HD-695X-CNDC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb

We would love to know how you came to the conclusion that everything was fine with all the parts in the rig. What were the stress tests you put the rig through? what were the resulting temps & Voltages?
What resolutions do you work on?
And what programs did you use to stress the CPU and the GPU?
Screenshots of the results would be a big help.
Also one slight thing remains is the comparison of the Memory Module you have in the rig with the QVL of the Mobo.
that would be a plus if you were to mention if it exists in the QVL and what is it's exact model.

greenpaladin7

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Ok, I was looking at the QVL a third time around and found out something disturbing....
The memory on the QVL says
CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB )

and when I look at my memory I have
CMX16GX3M4A1600C9

I thought I got the right kind of apparently I either ordered the wrong kind or newegg.com sent me the wrong memory. My actual memory model isn't listed on the QVL.......should I switch the memory?

Also, does the (XMP) at the end of the model number mean anything because I can't find a model with (XMP) at the end. Only "B" or nothing at all.

As for the stress tests I did the following...

Used Window Memory Diagnostics for the RAM
Used Prime95 for the CPU/RAM and did Small FFTS and Blended testing
I used Seagate SeaTools to test the HD with all their different tests
For the video card I played Battlefield 3 and Skyrim on max settings while monitoring temp/voltage

As for the temperatures and voltages I'll do my best to remember.....
CPU got a constant 1.3-1.4V I believe (for all cores)
CPU temperatures stayed around 40C to 46.5C during stress tests
RAM got a constant 1.5V
GPU never climbed over 70C during intense gaming
I don't remember the GPU voltage

I hope this is what you needed

Quick note, I'm going to exchange my RAM for Corsair Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9. It's the exact model number I stated from above but it doesn't have the (XMP) at the end of the model number...Does that make a difference?

greenpaladin7

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I still haven't fixed the problem. I got the new RAM and I get error messages of beeps. One long and two short. I looked this up and this is memory. So I got another set of 16GB RAM because I thought it was defective. I just got the new RAM and same thing happens. I don't know what to do

greenpaladin7

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Ok, this issue is getting out of control. I'm on my third set of memory and 2nd motherboard now. The memory automatically clocks at 1333 of which I usually keep it there. Basically what happened to the 1st motherboard is that 2 of the DIMM slots stop reading memory. So I got a RMA for a new mobo. I installed the new mobo, had some starting up issues that I was able to resolve and it worked okay for about a day. I was able to play games and everything with the occasional freeze with vertical lines. Well, then all my USB ports ended up not working as I uninstalled the display driver to fix the vertical line freezes. So, Asus just came out with BIOS 1003 of which I got and successfully updated the BIOS. Now the computer will not boot up. I get 6 beeps (long or short, I can't tell). Everything points to a memory problem again. The DIMM LED on the motherboard is red and the computer will not POST at all. Could I have a bad PSU, or could I have gotten another bad motherboard? I don't know what else to do to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

P.S. The RAM model is cmz16gx3m4a1600c9