Are my motherboard and CPU compatible?

pmorgan987

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
A while back, I ordered parts for my first time PC build. Pertinent parts are:

SeaSonic S12II 430B 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151074

ASRock A55 PRO3 FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157278

AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D AD3650WNGXBOX 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103943

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231424

I assembled everything above outside the case and attempted to power up. The CPU fan would spin until I cut power from the power supply, but I wouldn't get any POST beeps from the speaker nor would anything display on the monitor. So based on some research and advice, I RMA's the motherboard as it seemed DOA to me. I received a second motherboard, assembled, and it did the same thing, only the CPU fan spins and nothing else. Previously, I tried switching the RAM sticks and removing one and both of them, but the same result occurred. So I don't think the RAM is causing the problem.

In further research, I found someone that had a similar issue and it turned out that their CPU wasn't compatible with the BIOS on the motherboard. So I pulled up the motherboard's page on ASRock's site and checked the CPU Support List at http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.us.asp?cat=CPU&Model=A55%20Pro3. I'm not seeing the CPU model number I have there so does that mean it isn't compatible? It seems like a really small list to me so I wasn't sure if maybe that list represented “families” of CPU's or something, but it seems like I screwed up and bought an incompatible mobo and CPU. Originally, I used pcpartspicker.com and it noted compatibility there, but I suppose it isn't foolproof since that site deals with multiple mobo's and CPU's. If incompatibility is the case, I can't send the CPU back, however I may still have time to send the mobo back and buy another. Anyone have any advice on a good, similar motherboard that will work with that CPU?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Your board and CPU are absolutely compatible. There is only one generation of FM1 chips and they all work on any FM1 board.

I suspect something else is the problem. Definitely NOT compatibility.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Double check that the board is not touching the case (all standoffs are used), and check to make sure your board has all power plugged in (including the P4 4 pin near the CPU).

THen check the manual and see if your board boots from only 1 specific video out, and switch to use that video port first.

pmorgan987

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Thanks for the feedback everyone

@maxx_power, I haven't installed the mobo so far into the case yet. The PSU is in the case, so I have the side of the case opened and the mobo sitting outside the case on the box it came in. The CPU is installed and the CPU fan is seated and plugged in. My RAM sticks are also in and I have a small speaker that came with the case plugged into the Chassis Speaker Header pins. I'm not sure how to check for the video out; the board has an HDMI out and a D-sub port which I understand to be the same as VGA. I had a VGA monitor plugged into it as I am planning to switch to HDMI later on once I purchase a TV for it.

@jaquith I have both the main and CPU connectors plugged in. I checked them to make sure they were pushed all the way in and the connectors clicked in place. I previously did a paperclip test on the PSU and it seemed to work, but I understand that doesn't always mean the PSU is good. Could something be wrong there even though it seemed to work with the paperclip test?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Okay, to check the video out sequence, look at the manual that came with the board. On some motherboards (modern ones) with more than 1 output port (VGA+HDMI+etc), there SOMETIMES is a main bootup video port. That port must be attached to some kind of display device for you to get any video at all during POST. Try either port, I suppose, if you tried the VGA, try HDMI.

Well the 'paper clip test' only proves the PSU isn't totally blown, and the chances of a bad (DOA) MOBO are 2% so you're at 0.04% chance the MOBO is the problem. SeaSonic PSU's are very good but not infallible.

I assume the 'monitor' works and is connected directly to one of the two video out connections. Cycle though the 'monitors' input selections.
- 1 x D-Sub Port ; VGA
- 1 x HDMI Port ; Video + Audio

IF that's the case then VGA (D-Sub) is the easiest to test with, but if you added a discrete GPU then connect the monitor to the GPU's video ports. By default the BIOS is: Primary Graphics Adapter -> PCI Express not Onboard.

Also, it might be a good idea to Clear CMOS (see page 30). Unplug the PSU for 5 minutes, then move the Jumper from its default position (XXO) to its clear position (OXX) for 5+ seconds then move back and plug in the PSU. If it works then boot into the BIOS and press (F9 ; Load Optimal Defaults) and press (F10 ; Save & Exit = YES).
Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Q - What HSF? Stock or Aftermarket (which HSF)

pmorgan987

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I cleared the CMOS using the jumper reset method in the manual and tried again, no change, same result. I know the VGA monitor works. My HSF is the stock one that came with the CPU. I do not have a graphics card and am plugging directly into the mobo.

I got ahold of a HDTV to hook into the HDMI port; still the same thing though. There was no POST beep from the mobo and nothing showed on the TV set to display from HDMI. I turned the chassis speaker around in case maybe it was plugged in backwards, but no change.

What I have done in all is:

- Unwrap the mobo and put it on the box it came in.
- Installed the CPU by dropping it in the slot and seating it.
- Installed the CPU fan and plugged it into CPU_FAN1 header
- Placed 2 RAM sticks in the white slots on the board
- Attached small speaker that came with the case to the Chassis Speaker header
- Attached 24 pin main power connector
- Attached 8 pin CPU power connector
- Connected output to VGA or HDMI port
- Attached power switch from case to the appropriate pins. Previously I was using a screwdriver to short those pins.

Doing that, the CPU fan just spins however the mobo doesn't seem to be doing anything else. As I said earlier, I already returned the first mobo and got a second identical one and its doing the same thing.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

At the 8 Pin CPU power connection, try with only 4 Pins! There should be 4 MAIN pins and 4 auxiliary.

Do you have any friends who can lend you parts to swap and test ?

Also, might as well try 1 stick of ram, in sequentially all 4 slots to see if it will POST.

I'd try a different PSU and fully breadboard. Breadboard: minimal configuration and the all components outside of the case. No Front Panel connections (none), No USB, no SATA, (1) stick of RAM, 24/8-pins to MOBO, CPU + Stock HSF, monitor, and short (screwdriver or bent wire or paperclip to touch 2 poles and close the circuit <1 second is needed) the PWRBTN + GND (see page 32 @ bottom).

/edit - this is a minimal config and reduces both the number of potentially 'bad' or 'shorted' components including those from the case and other devices.

pmorgan987

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I checked with my friend who has built computers, but all he has extra is some RAM which I am not thinking is the issue. I checked in a few old computers I have laying around and all they have are 20 pin PSU's that are quite old. They still work, but my mobo is 24 pin. I have pretty much been doing the breadboard with the exception of doing the 1 stick of RAM so I have it down to RAM, CPU/fan, mobo, and PSU. I tried cycling one stick of RAM only through each of the four slots. No change.

As I said, I have an old 300W PSU that has a 20pin main power connector and 4pin CPU connector. I'm reading in my mobo manual and it says these would be compatible as maxx_power mentioned. However I am unsure where to plug in things and don't want to fry anything.

For the main power connector, the manual shows the 24 pins with the corners of the connector labeled 12, 24, 13 and 1 going clockwise from the top left corner. It mentions "To use the 20pin ATX power supply, please plug the power supply along with Pin 1 and Pin 13." I put the plugs above the socket and lightly pushed them to see how they fit; it looks like they are aligned all the way to one side as that is the only way it would fit. I figure that's right and OK since that's the only way they would fit, but I wanted to double check as I wasn't sure if I could fry something that way.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

If you are using a 20 pin in a 24 pin board, there is only 1 way the plugin will fit naturally. So don't worry about that. The 4 pin goes where the CPU power is, like usual.

pmorgan987

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Ok, so new development, I got it to boot to BIOS! I remembered I had an old computer in the attic someone else had built a while back and gave me for scrap parts so I pulled the PSU out of it and hooked it up to my breadboard setup, then I shorted the power pins and it booted and loaded video to the monitor. Sounds like my PSU I bought was bad so I'll be submiTting it for RMA. Thanks for your help @Maxx_Power and @jaquith!

EDIT: Now, actually, the PSU I thought was DOA is working. So I'm not sure what the deal is.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Your NEW PSU could be giving you intermittent starts, keep an eye on it.

pmorgan987

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
What I noticed is that if I had the old (working) PSU plugged in and then hooked in the new PSU, it would boot. But if I left the new PSU plugged in and tried booting again later, it would be back to the CPU fan spinning and nothing happening. I was going to RMA the PSU, do you think that is the way to go?

Also, I hooked and unhooked the PSU from 2 mobo's (the first one I sent back and the one now) probably dozens of times over the past couple of weeks while I have been working on this and the first time it worked was only after I plugged in the old PSU.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

If you have a old system (20 pin works fine), try it on that system with your new PSU. It could be an issue with the 5vsb circuit (responsible for PSU startup) acting funny.

So you are getting consistent POSTs with old PSU on new Board ?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Don't worry about POST beeps. A lot of modern boards won't beep anymore if everything is okay. People/customers found the beep annoying.

Then I'd say it is PSU, go ahead and RMA (although if you haven't owned it very long, you should consider a store exchange, a LOT quicker).