Problem connecting to the Nokia PC Suite via BT

Last response: in Technologies
April 30, 2004 5:39:29 PM

I'm quite new to this whole BT-thing, so please excuse me if the
following _may_ sound stupid .. I'm not that familiar with BT yet, but
I'm working on it. :-]

[Hard- & Software: Windows XP SP1, Epox BT-DG02A BT-Dongle, Widcomm
1.4.2.10, Nokia 6230.]

Problem No. 1:

I installed the Widcomm-Software that came with the Dongle and managed
to "pair" the devices. After this, I was able to connect some services
just fine ("COM 1", "Audio Gateway", even the "OBEX File Transfer"
works), while I've got strange effects when trying to connect the "Nokia
PC Suite" service. When i click on "connect" there, it says "connected"
on the computer, while the phone-display says "connecting to (my
computer's name)" and is stuck with that for about 30 seconds, after
which it cancels the connection ("connection failed").

I read somewhere in an older posting here that this is like the way it
"should" work - i.e., it's supposed to make the connection from the
phone to the PC instead of the other way round. The message on the phone
display is in fact the same as when I try to connect to the PC from the
phone. But the _result_ is the same - on the phone, I can try to connect
to the PC, and after a few seconds it just says "connection failed".

Any suggestions on where I should look for getting this fixed?

Problem No. 2:

I installed an Epox BT-PA01 printer adapter (wireless printing, via BT).
It's found in the neighborhood, paired, and "seems to work" - but only
when I connect to it right before I want to print something. Is there a
way it _stays_ connected? Right now, every time I need to print, I have
to open "My bluetooth places", click on "Epox BT-PA01" and "connect"
(the service is called "cable replacement"), then I've got some seconds
to start the print job. If I don't do that, as soon as I try to print
something, my phone (!) tells me that a "connection has failed". The
printer is connected via COM6, which is correctly the port that shows up
in the BT-PA01-properties-dialogue.

So - why does the phone think I want to print something on it, and why
do I have to reconnect every time before I want to print?

Again, I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, some pointers to FAQs or
archived postings would be nice then, though. I'd appreciate any form of
help and of course I'm willing to provide every information I may have
forgotten in this description, just ask.

Thanks in advance!

--
| http://www.argh.de/ · icq #83271428 | o. o o o o oo |
| - the key to joy is disobedience. - | oo o o o o .o |

Okay, so, for the sake of completeness: I somehow managed to get it
working, here's how.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:39:29 +0200, Frank Lachmann wrote:

> So - why does the phone think I want to print something on it, and why
> do I have to reconnect every time before I want to print?

In some web-board (dunno where anymore, sorry) I read about another
mobile phone (Sony-Ericsson T610) which had two seperate Bluetooth
Serial Ports installed by the corresponding software. I gave it a try
(advanced configuration -> client applications -> add com port) and,
well, knock on wood, no problems anymore yet (after setting different
local COM-ports for the two services again afterwards).

So it seems like it's not enough that the serial port for the
printer-adapter-service has a different number from the one for the
mobile phone serial port service, but there have to be two seperate
"serial port applications" provided by the PC. I'm not quite sure what
I'm talking about here, but I hope you'll understand .. :-)

This fixes both "bugs" I encountered - I can print a document now
without having to reconnect the printer adapter first, and the
connection with the Nokia PC Suite service also works (well, at least
it looked like it does). I just have to start the application (PC
Suite, OPM2, whatever, ..) while the phone tries to "connect back" and
everything's fine.

Let's hope it wasn't just a "random hit" and stops working again
tomorrow .. :-)

--
| http://www.argh.de/ · icq #83271428 | o. o o o o oo |
| - the key to joy is disobedience. - | oo o o o o .o |
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 12:48:19 PM

Hi!

I'm also new to BT and I have a similar problem, I think my problem is worse :-)

I have a Nokia 3660 which I want connect to my PC.
I bought a Mobile Action Bluetooth device (MA-700) for the purpose but
I cannot make it work through the PC suite provided by Nokia. Nokia
connection manager cannot detect the bluetooth device (connected thru
USB). I can only use the bluetooth device using the program bundled
with the bluetooth device (from mobile action) but the features are
very limited, for example, I cannot use it to transfer programs
designed for N3660 (symbian). I was able to make a mork-around by
changing filename extensions (from .sis to .jar or .jad), but there is
the limit in file size for transfer.

I also downloaded a 3rd party PC suite, it can detect the phone but
cannot make a connection.

Please help.

Thanks,

Dheniss

Frank Lachmann <frank@argh.net> wrote in message news:<c6tkui.1jk.1@frank93.argh.net>...
> I'm quite new to this whole BT-thing, so please excuse me if the
> following _may_ sound stupid .. I'm not that familiar with BT yet, but
> I'm working on it. :-]
>
> [Hard- & Software: Windows XP SP1, Epox BT-DG02A BT-Dongle, Widcomm
> 1.4.2.10, Nokia 6230.]
>
> Problem No. 1:
>
> I installed the Widcomm-Software that came with the Dongle and managed
> to "pair" the devices. After this, I was able to connect some services
> just fine ("COM 1", "Audio Gateway", even the "OBEX File Transfer"
> works), while I've got strange effects when trying to connect the "Nokia
> PC Suite" service. When i click on "connect" there, it says "connected"
> on the computer, while the phone-display says "connecting to (my
> computer's name)" and is stuck with that for about 30 seconds, after
> which it cancels the connection ("connection failed").
>
> I read somewhere in an older posting here that this is like the way it
> "should" work - i.e., it's supposed to make the connection from the
> phone to the PC instead of the other way round. The message on the phone
> display is in fact the same as when I try to connect to the PC from the
> phone. But the _result_ is the same - on the phone, I can try to connect
> to the PC, and after a few seconds it just says "connection failed".
>
> Any suggestions on where I should look for getting this fixed?
>
> Problem No. 2:
>
> I installed an Epox BT-PA01 printer adapter (wireless printing, via BT).
> It's found in the neighborhood, paired, and "seems to work" - but only
> when I connect to it right before I want to print something. Is there a
> way it _stays_ connected? Right now, every time I need to print, I have
> to open "My bluetooth places", click on "Epox BT-PA01" and "connect"
> (the service is called "cable replacement"), then I've got some seconds
> to start the print job. If I don't do that, as soon as I try to print
> something, my phone (!) tells me that a "connection has failed". The
> printer is connected via COM6, which is correctly the port that shows up
> in the BT-PA01-properties-dialogue.
>
> So - why does the phone think I want to print something on it, and why
> do I have to reconnect every time before I want to print?
>
> Again, I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, some pointers to FAQs or
> archived postings would be nice then, though. I'd appreciate any form of
> help and of course I'm willing to provide every information I may have
> forgotten in this description, just ask.
>
> Thanks in advance!
May 16, 2004 4:27:33 AM

Dheniss Manalo <dhenissmanalo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi!

> I'm also new to BT and I have a similar problem, I think my problem is worse :-)

> I have a Nokia 3660 which I want connect to my PC.
> I bought a Mobile Action Bluetooth device (MA-700) for the purpose but
> I cannot make it work through the PC suite provided by Nokia. Nokia
> connection manager cannot detect the bluetooth device (connected thru
> USB). I can only use the bluetooth device using the program bundled

I have the same problem...If I start a bluetooth serial connection
before I start PC Suite then it finds the phone, but it won't actually
talk to it.:(
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 4:32:55 AM

Mark E. Daniel <mark@atarimax.com> wrote:
> Dheniss Manalo <dhenissmanalo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi!

> > I'm also new to BT and I have a similar problem, I think my problem is worse :-)

> > I have a Nokia 3660 which I want connect to my PC.
> > I bought a Mobile Action Bluetooth device (MA-700) for the purpose but
> > I cannot make it work through the PC suite provided by Nokia. Nokia
> > connection manager cannot detect the bluetooth device (connected thru
> > USB). I can only use the bluetooth device using the program bundled

> I have the same problem...If I start a bluetooth serial connection
> before I start PC Suite then it finds the phone, but it won't actually
> talk to it.:(

Mine is a 3650 with D-Link DBT-120. I have two machines and two dongles
since one is xp and one is linux. I had to get another dongle since the
3650 uses the dongle's MAC address to tell it apart.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 1:24:33 PM

Thanks Mark.

So what can you suggest?
Do I have to buy another BT?

When I bought this thing I thought I could use it just like the IR
port I used to have in my old notebook. With the IR (using XP), I can
use any Phone manager and use the IR port seamlessly with other IR
devices.

Dheniss

"Mark E. Daniel" <mark@atarimax.com> wrote in message news:<2gnr5mF4ouldU2@uni-berlin.de>...
> Mark E. Daniel <mark@atarimax.com> wrote:
> > Dheniss Manalo <dhenissmanalo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hi!
>
> > > I'm also new to BT and I have a similar problem, I think my problem is worse :-)
>
> > > I have a Nokia 3660 which I want connect to my PC.
> > > I bought a Mobile Action Bluetooth device (MA-700) for the purpose but
> > > I cannot make it work through the PC suite provided by Nokia. Nokia
> > > connection manager cannot detect the bluetooth device (connected thru
> > > USB). I can only use the bluetooth device using the program bundled
>
> > I have the same problem...If I start a bluetooth serial connection
> > before I start PC Suite then it finds the phone, but it won't actually
> > talk to it.:(
>
> Mine is a 3650 with D-Link DBT-120. I have two machines and two dongles
> since one is xp and one is linux. I had to get another dongle since the
> 3650 uses the dongle's MAC address to tell it apart.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 8:20:33 AM

Dheniss Manalo <dhenissmanalo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So what can you suggest?
> Do I have to buy another BT?

I don't have an answer...But another bt dongle might well do it. I
posted as I am looking for the same answer. I just use the obex
transfer to send things to the phone in the bluetooth connectivity
software..I wish pc suite worked though.
June 17, 2004 8:29:01 PM

"Mark E. Daniel" <mark@atarimax.com> wrote:

>Mine is a 3650 with D-Link DBT-120. I have two machines and two dongles
>since one is xp and one is linux. I had to get another dongle since the
>3650 uses the dongle's MAC address to tell it apart.

That's funny, I have a Dlink DBT-120 too. It finds other devices OK,
gets their services even, but beyond that I cannot get it to
communicate usefully with anything (Nokia 6310i, Toshiba E800 PDA,
another DBT-120) although a Bluetake BT500 mouse did occassionally
work with it, on a laptop with win98se.

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter4400@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.