Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't seem to OC gpu any, help?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2011 5:24:23 AM

My display driver stops responding then shortly recovers if I keep my graphics card over clocked. It takes it about a few seconds when In game for the driver to mess up.

500 watt psu, 500CX Corsair
GTS 250 (Runs at stock speeds, just trying to clock it to 730) Makes a 15 frame improvement for me in WoW
8.17.0012.6658 Driver Version
On screen display of graphics card & cpu temps say the gpu is 75c and the cpu is 42c. These are the average temps when the display driver stops responding then recovers. (The PC is clean of dust, spiders, and that sort)

Could it be that my CPU is causing such a bad bottleneck that Vista triggers a tdr event? My CPU model is e2180, isn't much but good enough to play some older games at about 30 frames. I plan to buy a core 2 duo processor soon so if it could be the CPU then no loss, ill just replace it when I have the time.

Edit: Ive re-installed the driver twice incase of it being bugged, but that hasn't made a difference.

More about : gpu

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2011 5:44:01 AM

Your PSU have a 12v at 34A(12v X 32a = 408)... It's 408Watts and the VideoCard requires minimum of 450Watts... It could be your PSU problem as some people got some Problem Overclocking even by a little bit and it wouldn't work even by +1... Your PSU is the problem... Get a $80 Corsair TX650 V2 and it should solve your problem...
July 3, 2011 5:48:07 AM

legendkiller said:
Your PSU have a 12v at 34A(12v X 32a = 408)... It's 408Watts and the VideoCard requires minimum of 450Watts... It could be your PSU problem as some people got some Problem Overclocking even by a little bit and it wouldn't work even by +1... Your PSU is the problem... Get a $80 Corsair TX650 V2 and it should solve your problem...

Ahh ok, ty
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2011 5:48:31 AM

Best answer selected by Nevintsha.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2011 6:11:25 AM

you might want to adjust your voltage settings - might not be your psu if it has a recommended threshold of 500w, but a max of lets say, 620. If thats the case, your voltage might be off
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2011 6:14:55 AM

your GPU might be using too much core voltage as designated by the stock bios and might need to be adjusted higher. 10mv bumps till you get it right would be viable for your situation instead of replacing your power supply and spending the money unless thats the actual problem. just a suggestion
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2011 10:06:54 AM

There is nothing wrong with your PSU its fine for running a 250.
LegendKiller is clearly misinformed regarding PSU's and GPU's
Not all cards can over clock if its fine at stock settings then you just have a card that cant overclock that well is all. Some people have reported worse performance with overclocks.
You are just unlucky is all there is to it.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
July 3, 2011 5:30:21 PM

mactronix said:
There is nothing wrong with your PSU its fine for running a 250.
LegendKiller is clearly misinformed regarding PSU's and GPU's
Not all cards can over clock if its fine at stock settings then you just have a card that cant overclock that well is all. Some people have reported worse performance with overclocks.
You are just unlucky is all there is to it.

Mactronix :) 

Corsair CX500 Power Supply (CMPSU-500CX)
Voltage +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb
Max. Current 25A 20A 34A 0.8A 3A
Max Combined Wattage 130W 408W 9.6W 15W
500 Watts @ 30°C ambient temperature

The power supply and graphics card are just 2 months old. Oh well, I think its more of the model then a stoke of luck; Ive been googling on the same situation and people with a card like mine have the exact issues, not being able to over clock it much past stock settings without it freezing, even with a power supply without a much higher output then my own. I figured since my computer wasn't crashing/BSOD/ re-botting/ Artifacting, just the display driver tends to not respond then shortly recovers then it wasn't a power issue. I can max OC my shader to 2400MHz without a problem in the world, but I leave it on stock since the shader never makes a differences for me. The core clock stays at 675MHz and the mem clock is at 900MHz; If i bump the core clock to 738Mhz (Which is the normal Clock settings for a gts 250. I bought the non over clocked card so I could jus do it myself) That's when the driver acts up. If I bump the mem clock up to what it should be 1836 MHz, the driver acts up again >:| Ive changed drivers and I get the same problem on them all
m
l
!