White smoke inside case? PSU maybe?

xdnbkingx

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
i turned my pc on and was on it for about 20 mins then i turned around for 2 seconds when i turned back it had turned off...... so i tryed turning it back on and the fans went on for about a second and turned back off. i has a look at the case and there was white powder everywhere. ive only had this pc for 3 months the specs are

Intel i5 2500 3.3ghz
xigmatek asgard case
PNY 560 ti
1tb harddrive
650watt corsair TX

It has a standard CPU cooler and 4 case fans. PLEASE HELP!

It is possible that one of the capacitors got fried. The PSU would be my first suspect. Look into RMAing the PSU after you perform the simple "paper clip" test. The paper clip test will confirm whether the PSU is dead or not (not a test for under load).

xdnbkingx

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

Ok, could you please explain how i paper clip test? sorry ive never heard of it and im not an expert with computers i only know basics. thanks

jemm's link will show you the paper clip test. This test will tell you whether the PSU is dead or alive; it is not a load test.

It could be due to a manufacturing defect resulting from a bad capacitor. Bad capacitors do slip through final inspection and testing sometimes. (The price of perfect quality is infinite!)

ltrazaklt

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
yeah could on the MB , or even a Mosfet ..my buddy had an older were rebuilding ..put everything together , turn it on ..and I could smell burning plastic ..and saw some smoke coming ..upon close inspection it was a little black Mofset on the MB had fried

xdnbkingx

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

Ok thanks alot for your help on another note im going to be getting a better PSU if it fails and it will be for sli 560 ti. i will be getting a 850watt modular PSU can you recommend me one that is good? and i can buy in the uk? thanks

Yes. Get the one I have - Corsair HX850 - been in service for 2 years; works flawlessly. It is available in the UK, but I don't have a link for that.

xdnbkingx

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

Ok thanks alot for your help!