IWD slowdowns...help please

I've started playing IWD again (with HOW installed, and latest HOW patch
with latest ToTL 1.42 patch). I've noticed that in large battles in the
severed hand with many cold wights my machine slows down like crazy. I have
1 GB of memory, and 3.0 GHz CPU, and NV 5900U 256 MB vidcard. I'm playing
on WinXP, SP1, DX9.0c, latest drivers for all peripherals. Anyone have an
idea what could cause this? I know that the IE has these issues, but I
could not find any solution through google...is there any known solution?

thanks,

old dude

old dude schrieb:
> I've started playing IWD again (with HOW installed, and latest HOW patch
> with latest ToTL 1.42 patch). I've noticed that in large battles in the
> severed hand with many cold wights my machine slows down like crazy. I have
> 1 GB of memory, and 3.0 GHz CPU, and NV 5900U 256 MB vidcard. I'm playing
> on WinXP, SP1, DX9.0c, latest drivers for all peripherals. Anyone have an
> idea what could cause this? I know that the IE has these issues, but I
> could not find any solution through google...is there any known solution?

SoA has a similar issue whenever you're fighting a dragon (at least on
my machine). In that case it helped to switch *off* the DirectDraw
acceleration with dxdiag. Might work for IWD too.
HTH
Martin

"Martin Wächtler" <sandbox@familie-waechtler.de> wrote in message
> old dude schrieb:
> > I've started playing IWD again (with HOW installed, and latest HOW patch
> > with latest ToTL 1.42 patch). I've noticed that in large battles in the
> > severed hand with many cold wights my machine slows down like crazy. I
have
> > 1 GB of memory, and 3.0 GHz CPU, and NV 5900U 256 MB vidcard. I'm
playing
> > on WinXP, SP1, DX9.0c, latest drivers for all peripherals. Anyone have
an
> > idea what could cause this? I know that the IE has these issues, but I
> > could not find any solution through google...is there any known
solution?

> SoA has a similar issue whenever you're fighting a dragon (at least on
> my machine). In that case it helped to switch *off* the DirectDraw
> acceleration with dxdiag. Might work for IWD too.
> HTH
> Martin

Hey thanks, I'll try that out.

old dude