Sign in with
Your question

Why did Microsoft call it Windows

Last response: in Windows 8
January 15, 2013 4:49:28 PM

Why call it windows? Is that to confuse the Market. Why not call it what it is 'Apps 8' or I think they were going to call it Metro.

It certainly isn't windows as many expect. There is a desktop of sorts but you need a third party program to make it act like the old desktop. There is a rush at the moment to buy old windows 7 pc's new or refurbished.

They never listened to the feed back on windows vista and haven't for this bodge of an OS. Should we now say goodbye Microsoft's CEO??

More about : microsoft call windows

a b * Windows 8
January 15, 2013 4:57:44 PM

Here is why it is called Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/history

As to liking Win 8, or not, that is certainly a matter of taste. Every time MS changed the user interface, over the years, comments like yours were made. There is no doubt that change can be a pain.

Personally, I won't be using Win 8 for a very long time (if ever). I don't see a compelling need to do so at this time.

m
l
January 15, 2013 5:04:07 PM

I remember Windows 1 came out after the Macintosh was cutting into MS's market share. Gates did not like the competition. Of course the Mac was cloned from the Lisa which was losely based on the Xerox Alto. Microsoft wanted a short, catchy name and therefore "Windows". It didn't work worth a darn until version 3.1. Now we have 8 which is OK when you get used to it.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2013 10:38:12 AM

zdbc13 said:
I remember Windows 1 came out after the Macintosh was cutting into MS's market share. Gates did not like the competition. Of course the Mac was cloned from the Lisa which was losely based on the Xerox Alto. Microsoft wanted a short, catchy name and therefore "Windows". It didn't work worth a darn until version 3.1. Now we have 8 which is OK when you get used to it.

Nice one. I know the history if the Windows operating system but why call something that is inherently a different style of OS with the old name. It is for a different market sector so should be given a different name
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 18, 2013 11:23:38 AM

Any of you remember OS/2? IBM's "Windows" that MS actually helped develop and then bailed on?
m
l
January 18, 2013 11:51:30 AM

Oh, yeah. We used it on the IBM PS/2 systems. Very proprietary and hard to upgrade. I like our current ATX and variants much better.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 18, 2013 12:18:28 PM

I ran OS/2 for a while and even OS/2 for Windows. Great OS at the time, but hard (and expensive) to find apps and it was a pain to support. Still, it was a great tool, at the time, to bring forth one's inner geek.

Just think if IBM had taken what they started with OS/2 and then combined it with early Linux development as an open source product....
m
l
January 18, 2013 4:51:47 PM

COLGeek said:
I ran OS/2 for a while and even OS/2 for Windows. Great OS at the time, but hard (and expensive) to find apps and it was a pain to support. Still, it was a great tool, at the time, to bring forth one's inner geek.

Just think if IBM had taken what they started with OS/2 and then combined it with early Linux development as an open source product....

Microsoft didn't bail on it. It was a joint development and Gates went off on his own. OS/2 was a very good OS initially as good as windows but Gates was the business side and did his marketing better. He jumped most of the basic windows from others because some wasn't patented quick enough and others were open source.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 18, 2013 5:01:59 PM

As I recall, MS (Bill Gates) had an agreement with IBM to share the work up through Windows 3.xx, but when MS went down the Win 9x path, OS/2 was put aside.

It was certainly a business decision on the part of MS. Can't say that I blame them, but it did effectively kill off OS/2 as a consumer OS.
m
l
January 18, 2013 5:45:31 PM

Yes, IBM used it for proprietary stuff for a while (maybe they still do) but it died out quick. That's when MS got serious about NT and Server, and look where it leads to now? I still think Windows 7/8 are just newer versions of NT with a few bells and whistles....
m
l
!