Sign in with
Your question

GTX 550TI graphic driver crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2011 9:47:41 AM

hey all first time iv posted to this forums but i read this site daily, and was hoping you guys could help shed some light on an issue im being plagued by.

the issue i keep having is my graphics driver keeps crashing and then recovering and its starting to get really annoying.
my pc specs are as followed

PSU: PowerUp 550W
CPU: Intel Pent D Dual Core 3.40Ghz
Mobo: Asus P5K SE
Ram: 2x1gb Kingston DDR2 PC6400 800mhz 2x2gb Patriot pc6400 800mhz
Video Card: Galaxy GTX550TI 2048MB

current Driver revision:275.50(beta driver) had the 275.33 drivers installed and it did the same thing.

its not a constant thing where everytime i do a certain thing it causes it its just random. sometimes ill be browsing a page and my screen will go black and then come back and then i get the pop up saying my display driver has crashed and successfully recovered.

not sure if this helps but i have a 19 inch emachine vga monitor hooked up to the dvi input via vga to dvi adapter.

would be great to figure out wth is going on and why it keeps doing this, as it gets annoying being in the middle of a game n my driver crashes n causing the game to crash.
a c 171 U Graphics card
July 3, 2011 9:52:16 AM

Bad PSU? Sounds like you have a junk one. Perhaps the card isn't getting the power it needs and its crashing.
m
l
July 3, 2011 10:01:55 AM

heres a copy of the exact message i get when it crashes

@4745454b im starting to wonder it myself. cause i do believe the min specs for the 550ti is 400 n i do have 2 hdd's as well as a dvd burner

main drive: WD 500GB Black Edition sata-300
storage drive: WD 1TB Green Edition sata-300
dvd: Liteon 22x Sata dvd burner
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 U Graphics card
July 3, 2011 10:40:50 AM

I'd initially think you're dealing with a bad video card, though when your power supply is junk (sorry, but it really is), it's hard to blame anything beyond the power supply.

Though, I've seen symptoms like this with a bad card.

If I were in your situation, I'd first try exchanging the video card with the retailer if I still could. If I can't, I'd hold the manufacturer to their warranty terms and RMA that 550 if I still could.

Additionally, either way, I'd replace the power supply with a seasonic or corsair in the 600W neighborhood when possible.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
July 3, 2011 10:43:43 AM

The drives probably use 15-20W, and thats all of them. I question your power because of the quality (or lack there of) of your PSU.
m
l
July 3, 2011 10:44:02 AM

@ubercake, im not to sure if it is the card because when i had my old evga geforce 9400gt, it started doing the same thing. so im thinking it is my psu. i do have my eyes on the OCZ fatal1ty 750w modular psu as its only $100
m
l
a c 127 U Graphics card
July 3, 2011 10:57:57 AM

dethdeks said:
@ubercake, im not to sure if it is the card because when i had my old evga geforce 9400gt, it started doing the same thing. so im thinking it is my psu. i do have my eyes on the OCZ fatal1ty 750w modular psu as its only $100

That could do it, but I would actually recommend a Corsair TX 650 for a little less money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's actually built by seasonic:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-ma...

You could even use this supply when the time comes to upgrade this PC.

I didn't realize you also had that problem with another video card. Once you get a good power supply in that machine, you'll be able to start looking at other causes to your problem, if that doesn't clear it up altogether. It could be an issue with the motherboard, but like I said if you have bad power, you can't really tell if anything else is bad.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2011 1:59:35 PM

It is your PSU, 90% probability. Weak or cheap PSU's can be the root of many issues from GPU crashes, to RAM instability, to drive read and write errors. The PSU is the very heart of any enthusiast build and I have said this many times you must have a good, clean reliable power supply. It doesn't have to a 1000 watt overkill, it just needs to be of good quality.
Wattage or total wattage supplied is not what is most important. They use that as a simple term and guide for buying, but when you start adding high end components amps being supplied on the 12 volt rails along with steady, clean power becomes most important. This is where a quality PSU leaves the cheapo's in the dust.
m
l
July 4, 2011 2:49:40 AM

dethdeks said:
hey all first time iv posted to this forums but i read this site daily, and was hoping you guys could help shed some light on an issue im being plagued by.

the issue i keep having is my graphics driver keeps crashing and then recovering and its starting to get really annoying.
my pc specs are as followed

PSU: PowerUp 550W
CPU: Intel Pent D Dual Core 3.40Ghz
Mobo: Asus P5K SE
Ram: 2x1gb Kingston DDR2 PC6400 800mhz 2x2gb Patriot pc6400 800mhz
Video Card: Galaxy GTX550TI 2048MB

current Driver revision:275.50(beta driver) had the 275.33 drivers installed and it did the same thing.

its not a constant thing where everytime i do a certain thing it causes it its just random. sometimes ill be browsing a page and my screen will go black and then come back and then i get the pop up saying my display driver has crashed and successfully recovered.

not sure if this helps but i have a 19 inch emachine vga monitor hooked up to the dvi input via vga to dvi adapter.

would be great to figure out wth is going on and why it keeps doing this, as it gets annoying being in the middle of a game n my driver crashes n causing the game to crash.

Hi i noticed you had a asus motherboard,
do you have asus express gate installed,
i recently bought a 560ti and put it in my asus m4n75td,
and had nothing but trouble till i uninstalled asus express gate,
i came to this conclusion as sometimes my bios screen would not even come up and asus express gate starts first,
i would also upgrade your motherboards bios if you havnt as a precorsion,
i heard a lot of people having trouble with 500 series cards and asus boards
m
l
July 4, 2011 4:49:15 AM

why does every body seem to blame power supplys nower days,

if it could not handle the cards demands it would get hot and eventually blow up ,

ive known people blow psu before cause of graphic card demands and they never exprerienced crashes,
i used to run a 8800 gts 640 mb on a 350 watt dell power supply, it never crahsed the power supply just got burning hot till i eventually changed it,
it seems to me there is a bit of a psu badwagen at the minute,
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 6:12:42 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the card isn't getting the power it needs and its crashing.

I agree that it might not be the PSU, but it needs to be changed. Dell uses fairly good PSUs.
m
l
a c 127 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 10:31:08 AM

donkeywax said:
why does every body seem to blame power supplys nower days,

if it could not handle the cards demands it would get hot and eventually blow up ,

ive known people blow psu before cause of graphic card demands and they never exprerienced crashes,
i used to run a 8800 gts 640 mb on a 350 watt dell power supply, it never crahsed the power supply just got burning hot till i eventually changed it,
it seems to me there is a bit of a psu badwagen at the minute,

The power supply is the foundation of your electronic setup. If it's garbage, hardware related issues are that much harder to diagnose.

If a poster has junk for a power supply, this is why you see an all-out attack on it.
m
l
July 4, 2011 7:38:26 PM

@donkeywax not to sure what asus express gate is so im gonna say i dont think i have it lol. i searched for it via windows search bar on the start menu n it didnt come up so again im gonna say i dont? but im not sure lol
m
l
July 4, 2011 9:14:52 PM

asus express gate is a mini operating system that allows you to go online or check emails or go straight into games without starting windows.
you would know if you had it because it starts before your bios screen,
i think its *** so i wouldnt go out and try and get it,

i would still update your motherboards bios though if you havent just to rule it out,

it is really easy on an asus board using asus upgrade utility
m
l
!