Sign in with
Your question

Sharing over domains

Last response: in Networking
October 21, 2010 6:49:26 AM

hello.
i'm trying to share a folder over two different domains i cannot find the the user from the other domain when i;m trying to assign permissions. what can i do? thanks in advance

More about : sharing domains

October 21, 2010 5:37:03 PM

Do you have a trust setup between the domains? How are you trying to add the users? Are you changing the user domain location in the dialog box?
m
l
October 28, 2010 5:33:46 PM

yes, there is a trust between the domains, in fact the folder was shared for two days, until one morning when stopped working. i'm trying to assign ownership and permissions but i cannot find the user from the other domain(the user that will have to access the folder). i don;t know what you are talking about the user domain in the dialog box. i;m looking forward for your answer. thanks
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2010 7:00:36 PM

You have to search the Entire Directory for the user account. Or select the specific domain to search. Entire Directory will probably be easier.
m
l
October 31, 2010 4:02:38 PM

When you add a user to file rights, the default search is your current domain. Sicne the user you are adding is on a different domain, you need to change the location for that user account. If you look at the add user dialog, you will see a "search in" place where you will find your domain name.
m
l
November 4, 2010 11:06:11 AM

yes, i clicked on locations but the problem is that i cannot see the other location. please help!!:)  thanks
m
l
November 4, 2010 5:52:53 PM

You have Domain Trust issues. Consultant your Systems Administrator to check out AD Domains & Trusts.
m
l
November 4, 2010 5:53:36 PM

Or you just don't have transitive rights to access the users of the other domain. Regardless, it could be a trust issue or setup by design. Consult the person who configured it.
m
l
November 5, 2010 8:08:34 AM

will do... thanks for your help
m
l
!