Dish network and htpc

tdunlap0001

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
hello all,
I am thinking of building an HTPC out of some computer parts i have laying around and a few new ones. But i am a noob when it comes to home theater.

I plan to use my old q9300 processor and some 4gb of ddr2 ocz ripper ram and my old antec 750 watt psu.

Ideally i would love for everything to run through the HTPC: satellite (dish), ps3 and of course all my digital movies and music. Then have a single output to my receiver which will output the video/audio to my surround sound and tv. Is there an internal card to take in the raw satellite signal? Whats the best way to get 5.1 or 7.1 audio out to my receiver?

I don't quit understand how it will work. Is there a way to have HDMI inputs with sound going into the HTPC?
How do you control everything remotely?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,
Terry.

Here's some TV tuner cards for satellite:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Satellite+TV+tuner+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#q=Satellite+TV+tuner+card&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=tCo&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=18YQTrm7MeLiiALstPntDQ&ved=0CDkQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=73153b5ebc87ae60&biw=1902&bih=984

Probably the best signal to send to your receiver is digital optical or coaxial. So you should check your motherboard to see if it has either of those connections. If not, you may wish to look at a sound card for this.

You can try to daisy chain via coax your dish, VCR, DVD player, and whatever else and plug that into the TV tuner card. Although if you have DVD with your PC, I see no reason to do this. Bluray drives for PC have come down to very reasonable prices, if that is an issue.

Otherwise your other components look good. I would also visit Anandtech.com because they do a number of HTPC articles. Just search their site and you should find something useful.

tdunlap0001

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

Thank you for replying.

Will those take in the raw signal then from the dish or does it still require a satellite receiver?

Thanks

BTW, the tuner card will likely be unable to change channels. Because of satellite set top boxes, you will have to change the channel via the satellite box.

If you want to independently change the channels on your PC, you'll have to go with cable. :(

tdunlap0001

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

My phone allows me to react quickly: your response time is also rather impressive. :)

I was afraid that i wouldn't be able to directly, but ist here a way to pull and HD signal (video/audio) into the HTPC?