2x 5770

beath245

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
hey guys, having major issues with my 2 5770's. in benchmarks i get double the frames then with one card but in games i get a frame loss of about 20-30 frames. got any idea what it could be? ive done everything you can think of pretty much, ive even formatted my hard drives and done a clean install of everything. my specs are

2x power color 5770
8gig corsair vengeance 1600mhz
asrock 870 extreme 3 mobo
athlon 2 x4 640 3.2
coolermaster vortex cpu fan
coolermaster 650 psu

any help at all will be appreciated. also my pcie lanes run 8x8 in xfire mode and x16 with single gpu.

beath245

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
im mainly playing cod4 but also age of conan. ive tried drivers from 10.2 up no change at all :( i know a fair amount about pc but have no clue what bottlenecking is lol.

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Two games is not enough to tell if Crossfire is working correctly. I wouldn't be surprised of COD4 no longer works in Crossfire, because it is such a old title now. You shouldn't even need two 5770 cards to max it out. I am not even sure if Age of Conan is supported in crossfire, so cant tell you there. You should try games actually known to support it fully, like Bad Company 2 or Dawn of War 2, etc. I doubt your cpu would cause performance issues. I have a Athlon II X4 635, and I dont have any issues with my Crossfire 5770 setup.

beath245

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
ive tried it on a few titles aswell like far cry 2, black ops, MOH, fallout and left for dead. crossfire works on each of these games but still causes less frames in crossfire. most of these i dont need crossfire on to play of course but i want to play them with amazing performance and also got the extra card for new titles like bf3 and so on. both cards work great on there own. do you know what the best drivers would be for a crossfire 5770 set up?

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

If it causes less frames, then you are getting negative scaling, so its not working. I think I had no problems getting it to work on Farcry 2 late last year, but i hated that game and didn't play it too much. I remember on release month that Black Ops and that last MOH that were released were not supported well. I have not played them since then, so I cant say if they are now or not. Fallout 3 and L4D do not require that much power to run well (HD 3850 on up), so I imagine you would not see very positive scaling on them anyway unless you maxed everything out and ran the games at 1920x1080. Metro 2033, Dawn of War 2, Dirt 2, Resident Evil 5, Company of Heroes, Call of Pripyat, and Bulletstorm I know for sure run well in Crossfire, if you want to try any of them. Just Cause 2 is a mixed bag. Some areas of the game benefit from Crossfire, and some do not. The benchmark for that game made that issue clearly evident.

What I can also tell you is this. I am not sure what OS you are using, but Crossfire works poorly in XP. In Win7 32 it works well, but overall performance is simply the best in Win 7 64-bit. Also, performance gains are usually seen at the higher res settings with eye candy turned on, not the lower resolutions, so playing at a res like 1440x900 probably wont bring a noticeable performance gain. Sometimes the gain is going to be something like maybe just 10-15 fps too, nothing drastic. It will vary from game to game. You may want to uninstall your motherboard and video card drivers, and uninstall catalyst application profiles too, and run driver sweeper to clean out everything. After that, install the newest drivers and CAP and try again. Google game names specifically too, with "crossfire support" attached, to read up and see if others are having the same issues as you, and if the game is currently supported.

beath245

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
thanks for the link i might just get a 6core phenom like i was going to and if that doesnt work ill get a new mobo aswell. if that doesnt work im just gonna sell the thing and get a new graphics card too lol. have you got the parts yet dokioto? or had any luck at all?

beath245

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
its real cheap its about $230 for a 6 six core. people keep saying its not a good idea for a 6 core. is that because its overkill? maybe wasting 2 cores or whatever? if its gonna improve my games and overall speed of my pc then to me its a smart buy. ill overclock to lol.

beath245

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
im running win7 64 bit. if i try again to uninstall all drivers including mobo driver then clean with sweeper will i need to take out a card install its drivers then swap it and install drivers again or can i just keep them in xfire and install my drivers that way? also i took a look at some intel parts and im almost convinced although its gonna cost me around 600 bucks for cpu,mobo and case. need a new case for a bigger mobo.

Dokioto

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

No that post is around 2 days old lol- Think i'll try another CPU and see what i can do

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
No you should not need to take any cards out of your build when doing new driver installs. I have never needed to myself. Like I said, just remove the old drivers via uninstall. After that, run Driver Sweeper and scan for ATI video drivers, and clean them off. Then reboot and reinstall your motherboard, then video card drivers. After that is all done, install the Catalyst Application Profile install and restart your system again.

beath245

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
all done didnt work lol didnt expect it too though tbh. is there anyone out there that has had this issue and just bought a new mobo and fixed it? been like 3 months still no luck lol

beath245

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
so ive decided im just gonna buy a gtx 570 phantom, a new case and mobo then maybe buy another down the line. ive had so many ati issues that an nvidia switch is due.

that is basically what I did and having a single card has been reliable, I think I got a lemon of a gtx 570 to begin with so once I get it RMA'ed (sent it to PNY today) then ill be back in business so for the next ten days or so ill have to use a 5770 which is surprisingly powerful imo

for me it just felt that AMD treated their midrange crossfire customers as a minority, also the problems never went away after several drivers so I was fed up and did just what you are planning on doing and have been more then satisfied since.

beath245

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
yeah this whole 5770 crossfire stuff is just wasting my time and all my friends have nvidia cards so i think its time i make the switch. im also gonna get the nzxt phantom case. cant wait for tax haha

If a single card is all it takes to get the job done, I always recommend that first.

You might find the only problem you have is that you have a CPU bottleneck, and you'll still be limited with a new Nvidia card.

beath245

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
how can i fix the bottleneck? do i get a newer cpu or do i have to go intel? and do you really think the nvidea card will bottleneck? i gave my second 5770 to a mate and my pc runs way better now. crossfie is just a bad idea