Sign in with
Your question

My newly built computer keeps hiccuping

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2011 5:07:52 AM

Hello I'm experiencing a really annoying "Hiccup" or "Skipping" problem with my new system build. My computer was totally fine for the first week, but recently ever so often it will start doing full system hiccups which causes not only my computer to freeze, but my mouse, keyboard and sound as well. This freezing can occur anytime, no matter what I'm doing.

It's also worth noting that the computer makes a buzzing sound when it does these freezes.

Although I built this computer myself, I got a lot of help from an experienced friend, so "dumbing" down your answers is much appreciated.

Here is my System:

SAMSUNG 470 Series MZ-5PA064/US 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) which holds my windows 7.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive which holds anything else.

NZXT H2 H2-001-BK Black Steel / Plastic Classic Silent ATX Mid Tower Chassis (Probably don't need to know this, but it's here anyways)

ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Xonar DG Sound Card

ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express 150/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate Wireless Adapter

LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM

CORSAIR Gaming Series GS600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

I really really appreciate the help. I only have 14 days left on my return policy, so if it's a hardware issue that would be great to know.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2011 5:20:55 AM

I'm guessing that you have some sort of virus that is causing this behavior. If that's the case, head to malwarebytes.org and download their free tool. Run the system sweep and see if that turns up anything.

EDIT: P.S. You probably don't have any hardware problems, unless someone else recognizes your symptoms as being a hardware malfunction/failure they've dealt with.
m
l
September 4, 2011 5:34:46 AM

Ok I'm running the scan, I wasn't even thinking of a software issue, kind of hoping it finds something actually, as I really don't want it to be a problem with my hardware.

Edit: The quick scan finished, and didn't find anything unfortunately. :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2011 5:59:44 AM

Did you try a deep scan? It can't hurt and it often finds more than the quick scan. Do you ever get any alerts or errors associated with these hiccups?

EDIT: Reread your first post and saw that I had missed the part about the buzzing. I'm assuming this sounds like hardware malfunctioning, and not a system beep?
m
l
September 4, 2011 6:01:39 AM

No I havn't gotten any alerts or anything that I know of. Trying the deep scan now. I'm also going to try to update my Bios and see what that does.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2011 6:02:47 AM

That was fast. Read my edit.
m
l
September 4, 2011 6:05:19 AM

What OS are you running?
m
l
September 4, 2011 6:06:13 AM

it sounds like you have a hardware problem. Start with the basics, re-seat your ram and graphics card's in the slots, update BIOS and all drivers. If it still fails after that, start running diagnostics, download and run memtest 86+ and your hard drive manufacturers diagnostic utility. Also a good idea to check your temps to make sure nothing is overheating. Also noticed you have a dedicated sound card, make sure you disable the on-board sound in the BIOS.
m
l
September 4, 2011 6:06:52 AM

Yeah if I am playing a game or watching a video the buzzing kind of compliments the sound from the game or video while it is doing the freezing, if that makes sense. Otherwise there is no buzzing when I am not listening to audio.

EDIT: I am running windows 7

EDIT 2: Deep scan completed. Didn't find anything.

EDIT 3: For some reason when I try to update my Bios from the Asus utility it gave me, it tells me "No proper BIOS image files on the server!"

EDIT 4: I went through and attempted to update each driver through my windows device manager. Every driver said it was up to date except my wireless adapter which had an update for two of its special things.

EDIT: 5 I re-seated ram and graphics card and things seem better, but sometimes my computer is fine for a long time after turning on and then starts doing the hiccuping, so I'll post back maybe tomorrow with more info on the situation.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I really appreciate it.
m
l
September 5, 2011 7:02:57 AM

Well, the hiccuping seems to have ended, hopefully for good. It seems too good to be true, but if a simple re-seating of my ram or graphics card fixed it, that's amazing.

If it starts up again I'll be sure to post it here, so please don't lock this thread quite yet.

Thanks for all your help again everyone.
m
l
September 19, 2011 2:06:50 AM

Well it seems that resetting my motherboard to factory settings by changing the pin covers from 1-2 to 2-3 and then back to 1-2 seemed to end the strange hiccuping hopefully for good.
m
l
!