Which way to Gooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hi- I don't mean this to sound like a 'dumb' question. I have the opportunity to get a new PII X4 955BE or a i5-2500k. I know that the Intel chip is much more performance driven. I am just trying to update my XP Pro x86 machine with a mobo/cpu combo and don't want to break the bank. I am not a stand alone gamer at this point, but do use some graphic arts programs. The extent of my current gaming is on the social network-ie-Zynga Games.
Looking at both of these chips, could I ask for some opinions, and also some suggestions on mATX mobo's for the above chips. A decent onboard video scheme would be nice, along with enough RAM support to consider an upgrade down the road to W7 64bit.
I appreciate any sound advice, and wish all a Merry Christmas. :)

Solution
Yes, those RAM sticks are great. As for DDR3 working with XP, it will work fine. Intel says to use 1333 or 1600mhz memory with the 2500k, but you can use better. Basically anything you want. I would stick to 1600 though because it is pretty cheap and you most likely won't tell the difference. As for that board, it is h67, which means it does not OC. You will need a p67 or z68 board to overclock. But, good to see you doing research! :) Always good to know what you are buying!
Nope, not a dumb question! The core i5 2500k is probably 2 times as fast. The core i5 2500k hands down! If money is an issue though, obviously the 955 is cheaper, but if you have the money go for the 2500k. I own a 2500k and it is very fast! Even BFBC2 does bring it past 55% usage usually.

G

Get the 2500k (make sure of the k), even though you may not use it at its full extent right now, it should be good enough for a long while considering it overclocks nicely without issues. It also has the HD3000 onchip graphics which work well enough.

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Yes, integrated. Down the road I would like to add a discreet VC, singular, no crossfire or multi GPU. Of the big name OEM mobo suppliers, which would be the easiest to set up and OC? I know I am stretching it with this thread... :sweat:

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I like the first one you refer to...Thanks! No problem with leaving future options open, I suppose. Like I said earlier, initially I am going to run XP Pro SP3 x86 on it. I like the smooth, seamless nature of W7 64bit but I am a die hard XP sort. I suppose it will function OK with DDR3 RAM. I'll just have to do a little research as to which speed works with the 2500k. I certainly appreciate your tolerance with my lack of expertise in this field. At least, as a retired engineer, my research skills are strong and I don't mind humbling up and asking questions. Thanks a bunch! Peace.

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Thanks, Bruce!- Yes, I play with Print Shop, MicroGraphics, AutoCad, and PhotoShop.

HostileDonut- What your opinion on this piece of hardware?: Intel DH67BLB3
The reason I ask is because this firm called Portatech offers this as the best mATX board for the 2500k. It is an upgrade on their mobo/cpu
combo. I think their pricing is reasonable because they do all the set up, burn in, etc. and have a great 3 yr. replacement warranty plan.
I know that there are a lot of hardcore guru's out there who would vehemently disagree with me. I am just looking at a lot of options now.

Yes, those RAM sticks are great. As for DDR3 working with XP, it will work fine. Intel says to use 1333 or 1600mhz memory with the 2500k, but you can use better. Basically anything you want. I would stick to 1600 though because it is pretty cheap and you most likely won't tell the difference. As for that board, it is h67, which means it does not OC. You will need a p67 or z68 board to overclock. But, good to see you doing research! :) Always good to know what you are buying!

Solution

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Yep, you are quite right about the OS scenario. I had a laptop that was W7 64 powered and, although it wasn't as 'powerful' as my XP pc, it was so frickin' smooth. It was chipped with the 1st Gen i3 and had 4GB RAM. (Don't beat me up too bad on this, but it was a Dell Inspiron 1545). XP seems so, well, choppy in comparison. I have been having good luck with Corsair brand products, RAM included. I like my Velociraptor, too, but down the road I am hoping to integrate an SSD as a boot drive and run the raptor as storage in a RAID array. More study required here, though. One step at a time! Mobo/CPU first!...OS, too! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.