Sign in with
Your question

4D Wave (DX) Sound Card

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2000 3:48:47 PM

Ok, I am at a loss. I have a Pedator 4D Wave (DX) sound card.......trident chipset. I have downloaded the new drivers, updated the bios, installed the new 4in1 drivers for the Mobo, checked for conflicts, checked support on web sight and still no answers. In every game that I play I get distorted sound. Some of the games consist of Unreal Tournament, Star Trek Klingon Academy, Star Trek New Worlds, Requiem........and some others. At the desktop the sound works fine. Sometimes when I get online the sound (beeps or clicks) repeats non-stop......until I reboot. I have also installed directx 7.0a.....which is required by a couple of the games. I tried installing directx 8.0, but some of the games don't recognize that as a valid directx version so I went back to 7.0a. If anyone has any suggestions other than the card sucks I would appreciate it.

My system consists of:
AMD K6-III 450 (soon to be a K6-III 450+ so I can overclock)
384 Meg PC133 Sdram
Soyo 5EMA+ ver 1.1
USRobotics 56k PnP (hardware)
Hercules Prophet II MX Video card
Predator 4D Wave(DX) sound card (Trident Chipset)
Windows 98 Second Edition

I have also checked in addition to Tridents web sight, and Shark (manufacture of sound card).....Microsofts sight to see if there are any known issues with this soud card and Windows 98SE.

Thanks again

More about : wave sound card

December 19, 2000 5:03:35 PM

Here is a little tibit of info.......DON'T BUY ANYTHING WITH A VIA CHIPSET ON A SOCKET 7 MOTHERBOARD........THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! Ok.....got that out. It turns out that the sound card works great. It's not the top of the line or anything but it's decent for what I need. The VIA MVP3 chipset on the motherboard is what the problem is. There seems to be an issue with sound cards on that board......mainly when you also use an AGP video card. I ended up getting a different motherboard and everything works great. The new board has an ALi chipset. It is an Asus P5A socket 7. If anyone knows if there is a work around for the crappy VIA chipset so that I COULD use that board in the future that would be great. I guess I shouldn't expect much since it is a crap board (chipset) and many other people have had the same problem with no work around.
!