Sign in with
Your question

PSU problem

Last response: in Components
December 3, 2011 9:03:59 PM

PC shuts off and won't turn on
Well it seems i've hit a bit of a snag with my PC. I was gameplaying for a couple of hours until it unexpectantly turned off and now it fails turn on. I tried resetting the CMOS to no effect.

I suspect there might be something wrong with my PSU. However, taking a peak inside the motherboard each time i turn the rear switch on/off the little green LED on the mobo comes on/off. Does that mean that power is still going in the PSU?

After a few more failed attempts of unplugging and plugging in the pc of which the pc still doesn't turn on, i've decided to remove the psu. I'm having a hard time removing the CPU cooler so i can't check if its damaged.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Hopefully its just my PSU that's the problem and it hasen't affected anything else.

My specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 @3.4 GHz
M4A87TD USB3 motherboard
8gb ram
Corsair TX 850M
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922

More about : psu problem

December 3, 2011 9:49:05 PM

Normally with PSU problems you will experience all sorts of odd dramas before it finally gives up the ghost. Sudden failure in the manner you describe indicates a motherboard issue IMHO. The only way to be sure is to swap out the PSU. The green light on the motherboard does indicate that the power is still being delivered by the PSU. You need to to check both the motherboard and the PSU as the motherboard may have failed because of the PSU. I think however it is likely your motherboard has failed.
December 4, 2011 7:52:42 PM

hi thanks for the reply

well i checked both psu's and unfortunately it still doesn't work. guess its safe to say my motherboard is scewed. Any reason for this?

Any other suggestions are welcome.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 7, 2011 8:59:00 PM

Fix!
Well it appears i've found some solution to this.

It seems neither the psu or the motherboard was at fault but rather my graphics card being the actual problem. After reading some solutions from other forums about this type of problem, i removed the graphics card and the computer booted up normally - psu and motherboard was active and the platters inside the hard drive sounded to be spinning and all the fans were spinning. The computer sounds to of booted up as normally as it should do so i suppose that's a relief.

However, without the graphics card i don't have an alternative display port (no port for integrated graphics as such) for my monitor at all so i can't actually be sure to see what's going on each time i boot up from here on. Is there like a monitor that supports usb or anything like that?

So i guess im gonna need a replacement for my graphics which for all i know seems to of fried, maybe.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Any other suggestion are welcomed.
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2011 7:58:12 AM

There might have a VGA connection on the back of your PC, so you should be able to connect it through a VGA to DVI adapter, if your monitor doesn´t have a VGA connector.

If you have a TV set with a VGA connector you´d also test it.

EDIT: Just checked it, there isn´t a VGA connector, sorry.
!