Sign in with
Your question

More Ram or SSD ?

Last response: in Memory
September 10, 2012 2:10:17 PM

Hi, I have a question before buying anything . I have some freezes/Hiccups in games like Skyrim or The Witcher 2(especially). Now I have 4gb of ram and 4-5 years old HDD 7200Rpm . When game freezes sometimes I hear strange sound in HHD like it was stuck and unstuck for a second . I want to know is this happens because of low ram or because HHD can't keep up with texture Loads ?

More about : ram ssd

a c 347 } Memory
September 10, 2012 2:48:15 PM

Well the HDD can have bad sectors <or> might be failing 'Clicks of Death.' I would schedule and run SFC (see below) upon rebooting; 1TB takes 1~1.5 hours to fully scan. If the clicking continues especially on other Data or Games then I would backup all critical data ASAP.

As far as more RAM vs SSD, I prefer the SSD if given a choice but don't even bother unless you're looking at a 128GB or larger SSD. Also, some game do benefit from 8GB vs 4GB of RAM. RAM is dirt cheap.

Even BF3 on an SSD can 'stutter' from mini-saves...

SFC/Disk Scan:
September 10, 2012 3:07:55 PM

jaquith said:
Well the HDD can have bad sectors <or> might be failing 'Clicks of Death.' I would schedule and run SFC (see below) upon rebooting; 1TB takes 1~1.5 hours to fully scan. If the clicking continues especially on other Data or Games then I would backup all critical data ASAP.

As far as more RAM vs SSD, I prefer the SSD if given a choice but don't even bother unless you're looking at a 128GB or larger SSD. Also, some game do benefit from 8GB vs 4GB of RAM. RAM is dirt cheap.

Even BF3 on an SSD can 'stutter' from mini-saves...

SFC/Disk Scan:
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Scan-Drives-Windows-7.jpg
few months back I did bad sectors check it seems my HDD is fine and healthy , but I think even if the scanning was OK it's simply slow because the parts are old and too worn .
I'm looking at this SSD SV200S37A/128G , it's really cheap in my country compared to other SSDs 128Gb .
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
September 10, 2012 3:12:05 PM

For an additional $15 ($99) the SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 128GB is a no brainer - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

/Edit - the best time to replace a HDD is before it fails, and I only keep mine for 3-4 years and they're in RAID 1. The 'ideal' configuration is an SSD (OS, Apps & Working Data) and RAID 1 HDD (Data only; Photos, Music, Games, etc). Some folks add to that a second SSD for Games only (e.g. Steam).
September 10, 2012 3:18:39 PM

jaquith said:
For an additional $15 ($99) the SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 128GB is a no brainer - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

/Edit - the best time to replace a HDD is before it fails, and I only keep mine for 3-4 years and they're in RAID 1. The 'ideal' configuration is an SSD (OS, Apps & Working Data) and RAID 1 HDD (Data only; Photos, Music, Games, etc). Some folks add to that a second SSD for Games only (e.g. Steam).
Hm ,I looked at it and in my country it costs 35-40$ more ,I guess I'll stick with a SV200S37A/128G :) 
a c 347 } Memory
September 10, 2012 3:22:14 PM

Good SSD's: Samsung, Intel, Crucial, Plextor, Corsair, and OCZ.
September 10, 2012 3:37:58 PM

jaquith said:

How about this model
ASP900S3-128GM-C (SSD Adata Premier Pro SP900 128GB SATA3, 550/520MBs, IOPS 85K)

it costs only 10$ more but speeds looks better compared to 300MB/s 190MB/s of SV200S37A/128G

And I found another Kingston model

SVP200S3/120G it is 8gb less than previous 128Gb Kingston but speed is incredibly faster :Read 535MB/s Write 480MB/s but the thing is do I really get any benefits in gaming ? maybe read300MB/s write190MB/s is already enough and not worth spending extra $?
a c 347 } Memory
September 10, 2012 3:45:05 PM

You're looking at R/W and I'm looking at reliability and trouble free for years to come. ATTO or similar R/W really means nothing, 99% of performance is 4KB Random R/W and latency (IOPS), sure if you're copying data back and forth from one SSD to another AND the files are large then sure R/W is the 1%.

I'd stick with the Brands that I posted. Then I'll give you my opinions.
September 10, 2012 4:03:30 PM

laimis911 said:
Hi, I have a question before buying anything . I have some freezes/Hiccups in games like Skyrim or The Witcher 2(especially). Now I have 4gb of ram and 4-5 years old HDD 7200Rpm . When game freezes sometimes I hear strange sound in HHD like it was stuck and unstuck for a second . I want to know is this happens because of low ram or because HHD can't keep up with texture Loads ?

Your HDD is on borrowed time however don't expect obvious differences in game performance by using an SSD. All programs will load a little faster as will game levels but hardly "instantaneously" as some imply. Boot time is also shortened. My personal experience with an SSD is that the improved load times quickly become the "norm". IMHO, reliability is the reason to buy an SSD. No moving parts, very rugged, runs cool and low power consumption. Also they are getting cheaper every day. As for RAM, it's cheap enough to experiment with so go for it.
September 10, 2012 4:11:57 PM

jaquith said:
You're looking at R/W and I'm looking at reliability and trouble free for years to come. ATTO or similar R/W really means nothing, 99% of performance is 4KB Random R/W and latency (IOPS), sure if you're copying data back and forth from one SSD to another AND the files are large then sure R/W is the 1%.

I'd stick with the Brands that I posted. Then I'll give you my opinions.
Is IOPS 85K is a good number ?or less is better ? I want to buy SSD specifically for games ,and can read/write speed effect performance in games ?Basically I'm buying not for copying files but for gaming . Sure I could buy your recommended SSDs but my budget is the problem .
here is the SSD Specs is it good ?
http://www.adata-group.com/index.php?action=product_spe...
a b } Memory
September 10, 2012 4:17:40 PM

jaquith said:
Good SSD's: Samsung, Intel, Crucial, Plextor, Corsair, and OCZ.

Take OCZ out of that list and I would agree with you.
September 10, 2012 4:19:17 PM

ram1009 said:
Your HDD is on borrowed time however don't expect obvious differences in game performance by using an SSD. All programs will load a little faster as will game levels but hardly "instantaneously" as some imply. Boot time is also shortened. My personal experience with an SSD is that the improved load times quickly become the "norm". IMHO, reliability is the reason to buy an SSD. No moving parts, very rugged, runs cool and low power consumption. Also they are getting cheaper every day. As for RAM, it's cheap enough to experiment with so go for it.
Yeah I know there will be no higher FPS in games ,but I'm looking to improve smoothness, to play with less lag,freezes,faster texture loading this is my main reason to buy SSD, with HDD my games freezes a lot
a c 347 } Memory
September 10, 2012 4:33:53 PM

ahnilated said:
Take OCZ out of that list and I would agree with you.

The OCZ was the last on the list on purpose but since their 60GB SSD fiasco OCZ has been pretty good.

ALL of them have had super-bad firmware at one time or another.

As far as FPS an SSD has no advantages, and the Load Times are where most of it is not to mention reduced mini-save lags & stutters. The $/GB is expensive so if you have a lot of games it gets expensive; 5GB~15GB+ per game or $4~$12 per game on top of the games cost.
a c 347 } Memory
September 10, 2012 4:41:43 PM

laimis911 said:
Is IOPS 85K is a good number ?or less is better ? I want to buy SSD specifically for games ,and can read/write speed effect performance in games ?Basically I'm buying not for copying files but for gaming . Sure I could buy your recommended SSDs but my budget is the problem .
here is the SSD Specs is it good ?
http://www.adata-group.com/index.php?action=product_spe...

Higher IOPS 4K are better.

Again, it's a quality and reliability thing. ADATA has had more than it's fair share of problems. If you're referring to the ADATA Premier Pro SP900 ASP900S3-128GM-C then is okay. It's not on my or others top list Samsung, Intel, Crucial.
September 10, 2012 4:47:49 PM

jaquith said:
Higher IOPS 4K are better.

Again, it's a quality and reliability thing. ADATA has had more than it's fair share of problems. If you're referring to the ADATA Premier Pro SP900 ASP900S3-128GM-C then is okay. It's not on my or others top list Samsung, Intel, Crucial.
Yes I'm looking in to ADATA Premier Pro SP900 ASP900S3-128GM-C . Thanks
September 10, 2012 4:59:53 PM

+1 on all the opinions/recommendations but it may seem like you have an older system that frankly needs to be upgraded and is no match for todays games thus getting an SSD and increasing RAM will see marginal gains.

Hope this helps...
a b } Memory
September 10, 2012 5:10:18 PM

keep in mind that the throughput (MB/s) and the IOPS rating advertized on the box is per SERIES, and not for the specific model that you are looking at.

As an example, the OCZ Agility 3 line is rated for 525MB/s and 80,000 IOPS, but only the 240GB and 480GB versions will reach anything close to those scores. The 120GB version will be a roughly 2/3rds that performance, and the 60GB version is ~1/3rd of the rated performance.

Here is the general rule of thumb: A SSD is going to be worlds faster than any HDD because of the seek time alone (much less the numbers game of IOPS and MB/s), so don't worry about the specs unless you are building some sort of monster rig from the ground up. Worry instead about reliability, and $/GB.

-Crucial, Intel, and Samsung make great drives with low failure rates
-OCZ and Mushkin make decent drives with 'acceptable' failure rates for home users, but I would never save any important information on one that is not backed up somewhere else.
-All other SSDs are a crap-shoot. Some will work fine for years, while others will die young, and there is no rhyme or reason to it. While I do gamble occasionally on hardware (like my sparkle brand GTX570 that was $100 off retail when I got it) I would never spend serious money on something that 'may or may not pan out', and I would certainly not have it be a part of my machine that I rely on for day-to-day use (maybe a card reader or something, but not a HDD/SSD).
September 10, 2012 5:17:14 PM

ELMO_2006 said:
+1 on all the opinions/recommendations but it may seem like you have an older system that frankly needs to be upgraded and is no match for todays games thus getting an SSD and increasing RAM will see marginal gains.

Hope this helps...
well I have not old system I5-3570 , XFX 6870, CRUCIAL 2x2GB DDR3 PC3-10600 , my main problem is the old HDD
September 10, 2012 5:50:34 PM

laimis911 said:
Yeah I know there will be no higher FPS in games ,but I'm looking to improve smoothness, to play with less lag,freezes,faster texture loading this is my main reason to buy SSD, with HDD my games freezes a lot

You didn't list your specs so I can't say for sure but it sounds to me like you need more CPU or GPU depending upon the game.
a b } Memory
September 11, 2012 12:07:33 AM

That Sammy drive (samsung) looks great if you can afford it. Personally I have been happy with the much cheaper OCZ Agility 3 line, and Vertex 3 line (in my wife's desktop). I was also blown away at the performance of the Mushkin drives I have purchased for other people's systems, but they are not as well priced as they use to be.

Just whatever you get, be sure that it is large enough to fit the following on it:
The OS (~20-25GB)
Programs (typically ~1-2GB ea)
Games (4GB for old games, 8GB for AAA games)
All documents (text, spread sheets, and other small files)
possibility for often used bulk files (like a music or photo collection) (having these on the SSD prevents HDD spin-ups and spin-downs)
Make sure that all of the above stuff that is going to fit on your drive will not take more than 80% of the drive to account for some growth, and prevent hammering the drive.

For most users this all fits fine on a 120-128GB SSD just fine, while for power users would want a 240-512GB drive.
September 11, 2012 4:23:52 AM

Intel SSD 520 (240GB)
Instead of a proprietary Intel chip, the SSD 520 uses the popular SandForce SF-2281 controller, but adds in Intel’s custom-optimized firmware for improved performance and reliability. Speedy 25nm synchronous NAND flash, which promises faster performance than toggle or asynchronous NAND, holds the data.
September 11, 2012 8:37:29 AM

Thank you all for recommendations and information . I ordered SMG 830 SERIES 128G 2.5" SATA3 SSD BULK .
December 13, 2012 11:25:54 AM

Hello Friends,

I also have a similar doubt about choosing a SSD for replacing the HDD for my Dell Studio-1555 laptop (C2D 2.4GHz, GM45 Chipset, WD 500GB SATA HDD, 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM). I bought my laptop around July 2009. I want a SSD of around possibly 250GB. I have never experimented before with an SSD so it would be really helpful to receive a few suggestions :) 

Here are the few possible options I have found within my budget-

1) http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B004W2JL2A/ref=sr...

2) http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B007SV8MOK/ref=sr...

3) http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B003NE5JCY/ref=dp...

4) http://www.mediamarkt.de/mcs/product/SAN-DISK-SDSSDP-25...

5) http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B006EKJ8UI/ref=sr...

THANKS A LOT!
a b } Memory
December 17, 2012 12:55:25 PM

Sammy, please start your own thread.
!