Brand New i5 2400 - High Temps?

exittoexist

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
While playing bf3 the cores run around at 60-63C and the max cpu temp monitored is 68-69 @ core 3. Are these temps okay or should i be worried

Those temps are high, but you should not worry too much.
The chip will downclock itself if you start to reach a damaging temperature.

Still, I would look for the problem.
If you are using the stock cooler, it is probably not mounted well.
Look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are fully through and locked.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with it.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the direction of the arrow,(counter clockwise) as far as they can go.
Place the cooler so that all 4 pins are oriented over the holes in the motherboard.
The trick to getting it on is to push down on a diagonal pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard must be out of the case to do the job.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins clockwise to unlock them. You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.

I would spend about $30 for an aftermarket cooler with a slow turning 120mm fan. Look for a Xigmatek gaia or cm hyper212.

exittoexist

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
the stock cooler is perfectly seated. All i can think of it is that the mega store i bought the cpu from is selling refurbished items.

I doubt that even a refurb cpu(I did not know they existed) would have a problem.

How is your case cooling?

Is your graphics card cooler a direct exhaust type, or does it dump heat into the case?

Is the room unusually hot?

You can get an aftermarket cooler with a 120mm fan for about $30 that will be more efficient and quieter.
Look for Xigmatek gaia or cm hyper212.

Those temps are high, but not dangerously so, and not entirely unexpected for the stock cooler. You can try remounting the cooler with new thermal paste and that might shave off a few degrees, but if you really want lower temps I would recommend an aftermarket cooler. I used to run the stock cooler on my i5 760 and my gaming temps would range from 65 to 70 degrees celsius. Replaced it with a Coolermaster Hyper N520 and my gaming temps dropped to 50 to 55 celsius. If you do look at a cooler with a 120mm fan as suggested above, just make sure the cooler will fit into your case. Some of the larger CPU coolers will only fit properly into full towers, or at best just barely fit into some midtower cases.