Bottleneck? But that's not possible...

onefearlesssniper

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hey Guys,

So, I recently came home to an odd smell from my PSU, then it starting rebooting on it's own, crashing, and stinking up the room with a burning rubber smell. Before that, I noticed that my preformance in games went way down... (was getting a SOLID 125-150 FPS, now it's going from 55-100.). So, I think this is partly my PSU too, but I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for an RMA - so I tried turning the settings down.

SAME FPS.

This is the sign of a bottleneck..but how? My rig;

i5 2500k @ stock
8 gigs ram
1tb hd
750w antec high current gamer series psu
6950 2gb

I don't see how a failing PSU will reduce your frame rate, in fact it can't the computer will either work or not. What will effect your frame rate is if your processor is getting to hot and is throttling back. I suggest that you check your processor fan and temperatures urgently :sweat:

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Well if you want to turn your computer into the most expensive art project in your house i would say keep your power supply. If you want a more reliable experience with no failures i would say to get a new power supply. Your choice though because i couldnt care less if your stuff dies.

No. If the PSU could not supply the necessary power, the output voltage would drop. Once one of the outputs dropped out of tolerance, the system would either do a reset and reboot if the PSU recovered or it would shut down.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Well you can say its not the PSU all you want but in the longrun if you use a power supply thats dieing aka giving out bad voltages or undervoltaging things it greatly decreases the life of your computer. And the system wouldnt reboot if the power supply didnt support that form of flucuation detection along with the mobo. Ive seen some pretty crappy power supplys give out bad voltage and the computer doesnt reboot.

Just to be safe???????????
You ought to have sent the burnt thing back the moment you came to know something was burning inside.
I can understand you're a youngster, but , come on..... people usually don't dare try to eat a burnt pizza..... what was the point in turning your rig on after you got the burning smell?
Computer are Logical devices, alas, their makers aren't.
Make double sure it's the PSU that was alone smelling. See for signs of a melt up on the mobo too and the wires.