Question Regarding Power Hook Ups On Video Card

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2011 5:26:04 PM

It has been a while since I have installed a new video card as my card that just died was an 7600 GT 256 MB PCI E. So I am in the market for a new one however, I have noticed a lot of them have power hook ups on them. As such I have a question regarding that as my mother board is sorta odd.

On my motherboard itself it has a 4 pin connector that looks identical to the connector of a case fan. According to my manual it says that is a "ATX4P1 Auxiliary power connector for graphic card". My Question is, if the video card I purchase requires a power hook up like a 4 pin or 6 pin pci express power connector, do I need to hook up that Auxiliary power connector on the motherboard as well in addition to the power hook up on the card? If it helps any here is an excerpt from the manual regarding the video card install.

Excerpt:

"1. The two PCIE x16 slots (SLI Mode: x8+x8, single PCI-E is x8 mode) run in two modes. With
only one PCI Express Graphics card, install it onto PCIE2 slot by default. Having two PCI
Express Graphics cards at hand, set them up onto PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots simultaneously.
2. The Scalable D.G.E. supports a four-monitor configuration when PCIE2 slot and PCIE
4 slot are working simultaneously.
3. Please note that the graphics card driver supports Windows 2000/XP only.
4. Make sure to connect a 4-pin ATX power cable to the ATX4P1; otherwise, the system will
be unstable."

POWER SUPPLY: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (
Motherboard: Nforce 570 SLIT-A v.5.1
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail...

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86Ghz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557e6300

Memory: 3 GB 240 Pin DDR2 SDRAM 533 (PC2 4200)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: My PCI Express slots are 1.0 a and say that if only one card in the slot it runs at 16x if two however, the slots down clock to 8x.

More about : question power hook ups video card

a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2011 5:34:08 PM

4-pin as in molex? Thats for "stability" and really doesn't power the GPUs. Its really optional if you want to hook it up.

GPUs now require either 1 or 2 6-pin PCIe or 8-PCIe and it depends on which card you get.
m
l
July 3, 2011 5:46:18 PM

But it shouldn't hurt the video card or anything if I hook up both the 4 pin auxiliary motherboard power connector and any power connectors on the video card itself should it? Even if I am running one card vs two cards SLIed.? In regards to the molex question, not sure how to answer it, its the same style connector that you would plug into an IDE drive or case fan that is on the motherboard saying "ATX4P1 Auxiliary power connector for graphic card"
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2011 5:49:15 PM

Then that is molex.
It won't hurt if you do both, just more "stability" that probably wont do anything.
m
l
!