Sign in with
Your question

Compatibility Problems with Bulldozer Processor and freshly built

Last response: in CPUs
December 4, 2011 2:51:20 AM

So I'm having trouble getting my system to boot properly with the following components, I've gone through two different motherboards and have tested the components on my other setup to make sure they're still working. I need help!

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz (not overclocked yet)
Two Motherboards: ASUS M5A97
GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2
Memory: Cosair 1600 DDR3 8GB Vengeance
HD: Hitatchi 500GB 3.0GB/sec SATA
PSU: Cool Master 500W
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4850 HD

With the GIGABYTE board, I could boot my system using the on-board graphics and managed to install Windows 7, then also the ATI drivers for the Radeon. Couldn't get it to boot through the ATI Radeon 4850 and saw no signal to the monitor. I am also using a DVI to VGA converter as my monitor doesn't support DVI connectors.

I plugged this video card into my other comp, which runs a Phenom X4 940. Had no problems installing it and getting it to work properly with my other setup. This setup also uses a VGA to DVI converter on the cord.

I RMA'd the GIGABYTE board back to Newegg and bought the ASUS board from Fry's today. This board has no on-board video but I could not manage to get a video signal after installing everything and attempting to boot through the Radeon.

I'm beginning to thing the problems are either:

1) My PSU is not supplying power to my video card properly and I should maybe try getting a different one.
2) The VGA to DVI converter doesn't work properly.
3) The Bulldozer processor is not compatible with my older Radeon 4800.

If anyone could help me or has similar experiences, please help.
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2011 7:22:39 AM

Between CPU and GPU can't exist compatibility problems.You can put togheter any CPU with any GPU. Try to put another video card in your PC to see what is the problem. Maybe the problem is your video card.
a c 184 à CPUs
December 4, 2011 7:34:05 AM

I have not owned a amd system before, but just out of curiosity in the bios have you set it so that it displays out a graphics card not the onboard video?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2011 7:39:03 AM

did you check if your motherboard's bios is compatible with running the fx? if it wasn't compatible, did you upgrade your motherboard's bios?
a c 90 à CPUs
December 4, 2011 8:11:33 AM

getting it to boot with onboard then failing to boot with dedicated gfx. look at the gfx card then the psu. try both on different builds. most likley its the psu not having enough grunt. normaly it should have but it may be damaged.
December 27, 2011 12:06:32 AM

Hi, I had the exact same issue with the ASUS M5A97, and cursed myself for not buying a motherboard with onboard video. I've RMAed it back, and just ordered the same Gigabyte motherboard (before reading your article). I have the Corsair 2x4gb memory also, the only different in our systems is that my video card is a Radeon HD6670. Can you tell me if you were able to resolve your issue, and what the resolution was??
Thanks and have a happy new year!

Tranceypants said:
So I'm having trouble getting my system to boot properly with the following components, I've gone through two different motherboards and have tested the components on my other setup to make sure they're still working. I need help!

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz (not overclocked yet)
Two Motherboards: ASUS M5A97
GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2
Memory: Cosair 1600 DDR3 8GB Vengeance
HD: Hitatchi 500GB 3.0GB/sec SATA
PSU: Cool Master 500W
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4850 HD

With the GIGABYTE board, I could boot my system using the on-board graphics and managed to install Windows 7, then also the ATI drivers for the Radeon. Couldn't get it to boot through the ATI Radeon 4850 and saw no signal to the monitor. I am also using a DVI to VGA converter as my monitor doesn't support DVI connectors.

I plugged this video card into my other comp, which runs a Phenom X4 940. Had no problems installing it and getting it to work properly with my other setup. This setup also uses a VGA to DVI converter on the cord.

I RMA'd the GIGABYTE board back to Newegg and bought the ASUS board from Fry's today. This board has no on-board video but I could not manage to get a video signal after installing everything and attempting to boot through the Radeon.

I'm beginning to thing the problems are either:

1) My PSU is not supplying power to my video card properly and I should maybe try getting a different one.
2) The VGA to DVI converter doesn't work properly.
3) The Bulldozer processor is not compatible with my older Radeon 4800.

If anyone could help me or has similar experiences, please help.

February 18, 2012 10:45:27 AM

dalewilbanks said:
Hi, I had the exact same issue with the ASUS M5A97, and cursed myself for not buying a motherboard with onboard video. I've RMAed it back, and just ordered the same Gigabyte motherboard (before reading your article). I have the Corsair 2x4gb memory also, the only different in our systems is that my video card is a Radeon HD6670. Can you tell me if you were able to resolve your issue, and what the resolution was??
Thanks and have a happy new year!

I have a similar issue. My system boots and functions normally but the PSU makes electrical humming whizzing sounds. I suspect it's the PSU functioning at or close to it's limit and perhaps over it's limit in your system which is why it fails to boot. notice we have the same PSU. Ordered a beefy XFX 650w PSU with a single 12v rail @ 54amps. I suspect the new FX chips don't like this dual 12v rail PSU's.

ASUS M5A78LM-USB3
FX-6100
Radeon 4850
8gb corsair 1600mhz
90gb agility 3 SSD
500gb 7200rpm HDD
250gb 7200rpm HDD
Cooler Master 500watt dual rail PSU 500w (460w dual rail also tested and both make the same noise although the 460w to a lesser degree).

I think a single rail PSU at 500w won't have any problems, but better be safe and get a 600w or so.
!