Sign in with
Your question

Building my first PC..NEED HELP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2011 7:39:15 PM

this is my first post ever, so please forgive me if my questions are not detailed enought for an accurate reply. I bought a series of parts off Newegg to build my first gaming computer. Today i finally had the time to put the components together and when i try to start my PC, i get no input from my monitor. I am currently using an R6850 cyclone with a Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3 motherboard. The board only has one graphics slot that supports the 6850 and this is the pciex x16. After installing the card and turning on the monitor, nothing happens. The 6850 fan starts running, and all the components in the PC work like normal, but i get nothing on my display. I tried isolating the problem by removing the 6850 and letting the motherboards integrated graphics do the work. After turning on the PC the monitor starts to work and im instructed to install my OS. Im stuck, i dont know what to do. Am i facing a motherboard issue or a graphics card issue. PLease ladies and gentlemen, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

my specs are as followed:

rosewill 530 w psu
gigabyte ga-h67m-d2-b3 motherboard
intel i5-2300 2.8 ghz processor
msi r6850 cyclone 1gb
4g x2 gskill memory

if any additional info is needed please let me know

More about : building

July 3, 2011 8:18:41 PM

Did you go into the bios and configure it for the new video card and turn off the on-board video? Sound like you did plug the required power supply to the card...

I would try that first off, also...

Something that even I was once guilty of... installing a video card, changing the bios but forgetting to switch the monitor cord from the MB port to the card port (heavy forehead smack when I clued in that time)
m
l
a c 1378 U Graphics card
July 3, 2011 8:18:56 PM

Did you connect the external power to the GPU (HD6850) directly from the PSU? If so it is a GPU issue.
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2011 8:24:35 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yes, my psu is connected to my 6850. The fan spins but no video. Ive been connecting the monitor into the mbo port this whole time... Instead of the 6850 port...WOW. Ok lol I'll give it another shot, thanks for the help again guys.
I'll keep this thread updated
m
l
July 3, 2011 9:22:55 PM

Alright. It works. All I had to do was plug my monitor into the graphics card. DOH, lol.thanks for the tips. :) 
m
l
a c 1378 U Graphics card
July 3, 2011 9:52:23 PM

S@#$ happens! Enjoy your new rig!
m
l
!