[solved] Windows 7 Loads to a black screen. Whats the problem?

OlympusHAXXX

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I built my PC in november of 2010. These are the components:

Motherboard - ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Hard drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

processor - AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX440WFGIBOX

graphics - PNY VCGGTX570XPB GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

power supply - 1 x Rosewill LIGHTNING Series LIGHTNING-1000 1000W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active-PFC Power Supply

memory - 2 x Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT51264BA1339

The monitor is a 1920 x 1080 LED 23 inch monitor

I just bought windows 7 from best buy and I installed it and it was working just fine until I installed the drivers that came with the motherboard. After I installed the drivers and rebooted the computer it would load to a black screen and stay black. I get a windows 7 logo and a progress bar and then the screen goes black right when it is supposed to go to a login screen. I decided to reinstall the operating system again and after the second install it worked fine until I installed the drivers for the graphics card. After I installed the drivers and rebooted it would only load to a black screen right after the windows 7 logo and progress bar. Does anyone know what the problem is? Does anyone know any tests I can run?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
It appears to be a driver issue. Don't use the drivers that come with the CD's that come with the hardware in question. Reinstall Win 7. Service Pack 1 it and download all the updates. Then download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturers websites. For instance download the NVIDIA drivers for that 570 from www.nvidia.com.

OlympusHAXXX

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
It works in safe mode. And when I am not in safe mode it takes a couple of hours for the black screen and cursor to change to the login screen. I hear the loading sound when it goes to the black screen. I am getting a new hard drive on christmas. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
It works in Safe Mode as Safe Mode by passes the drivers. A faulty HDD will act up whether Safe Mode is used or not. You just need to install the OS in the proper manner and obtain and install the latest drivers IMHO. Don't use the drivers on the CD's.

OlympusHAXXX

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I reinstalled the operating system, windows 7, again and before I downloaded any drivers I restarted the computer. After the windows 7 logo I had a black screen for about 35 minutes. So I had a black screen with no drivers installed. I did a hard drive test and there were no errors. I am going to run a memory test next. Anyone have an ideas?

OlympusHAXXX

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I found out what the problem was. I had my monitor connected to the pc by both the VGA cable and HDMI cable. I unplugged the HDMI cable and the problem was fixed. I guess having to connections caused the problem.

chaere

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
A faulty HDD will act up whether Safe Mode is used or not.
g.gif