Sign in with
Your question

Two 5770's three 23" monitors, zero Display ports =[

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2011 9:02:22 PM

Hello, quick question here!

I have owned crossfired 5770's with a dual monitor setup for a while now, and had always planned on adding a third for the full eyefinity effect.

having just yesterday purchasing my third monitor, I realise after researching that I need a displayport for eyefinity to work. the 5770's I have do not have a DP and nor do any of the matching 23" monitors I've purchased.

I believe my options are as follows unless I'm missing something:

1: drop the crossfire and use 1 card on two and the 2nd on one monitor to at least make use of the third monitor.

2: spend a ton and purchase an active displayport adapter and then also another dp adapter to hook that up to the monitor (hdmi/vga/dvi)

3: pawn my 5770's off for cash and grab a newer card capable of eyefinity (with a dp adapter for the monitor)

4: hold out for a driver update to possibly allow eyefinity/crossfire

5: some kind of software based solution that I don't know about

this question is probably thrown up alot so I appoligize if I didnt look hard enough!

cpu: phenomII 1090t
ram: 6gb
Mobo: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
HD: 1TB Seagate 7200
gpu: 2x5770 in Crossfire
Psu: 600w best buy special ( fail )
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2011 9:11:56 PM

see if you can get yourself a sapphire FLEX card, they will let you use eyefinity with DVIs without the need of displayport. :D 

i know ebay will have some.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2011 9:17:06 PM

If the cards don't have a Displayport output and you don't have the FLEX cards, then there is no way you can get Eyefinity. Nothing you can do about it. I'd sell the cards and grab a 6950, or use the cards for a while until the HD7K series releases.
m
l
July 3, 2011 9:31:41 PM

thanks for pointing out the sapphire 6950, that might be the way i go. any downside to using an asus cucore 6950 instead with a dp-dvi adapter? I'm a sucker for matching hardware =]
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2011 9:34:47 PM

mgmorrison89 said:
thanks for pointing out the sapphire 6950, that might be the way i go. any downside to using an asus cucore 6950 instead with a dp-dvi adapter? I'm a sucker for matching hardware =]

Other than spending more money, not really.
m
l
July 3, 2011 9:40:13 PM

well the actual price of the card is cheeper, and an adapter is only 10 bucks unless i am mistaken and need the active DP adapter for 100 bucks! then it's sapphire all the way and screw unified branding lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2011 9:51:47 PM

mgmorrison89 said:
well the actual price of the card is cheeper, and an adapter is only 10 bucks unless i am mistaken and need the active DP adapter for 100 bucks! then it's sapphire all the way and screw unified branding lol

Are you looking at the 1Gb?
For the adapter you need this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
July 3, 2011 10:36:40 PM

yeah actually thats retarded of me, might as well get the 2g sapphire, thanks for your help! part is on its way currently =]
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2011 11:00:49 PM

Active Dp hasn't been at $100 for a long time. Plenty on newegg for 30-35$
m
l
!