Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I7 930 Stock heatsink + skryim these temps look high?

Last response: in CPUs
December 4, 2011 9:11:59 AM

Anyways I got a Noctua D-14 on the way because i'm annoyed by the numbers but i'd like to play my computer in the meantime if its possible. Hw monitor shows my cores 0,1,2,3 in the 40c range but when I load up skyrim and play for a bit, It gets into the 60-70c range. Is this normal for a stock i7 930 cooler?

I have artic silver 5 and i've let it burn in. The stock heatsink was a little dirty so I sprayed it with a can of air. I thought the temps were 62c max for i7 930? Is this true? Or should I game and just make sure it doesn't hit 80?

Any suggestions at all would be nice.

Thanks Cole
December 4, 2011 9:46:29 AM

Does your i7 930 overclocked?
What is your room temps?
Score
December 4, 2011 9:59:57 AM

Stock coolers are terrible, my 950 id overclocked and peaks at 60 C. Just buy a cheap aftermarket cooler and it will be far superior to the stock one.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2011 10:11:32 AM

Without overclocking it your i7 930 should not go over 68C.

X58 plataform is known for runing it hot. Intel says their stock heatsink is enough to keep things cool, however it didn´t work for me. So I took a Hyper 212 plus for my i7920 and temps dropped 20C.

Score
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2011 10:16:18 AM

70 isn't abnormal under heavy load with the stock hsf. I'd just keep playing till the new one shows up. wont hurt to check your case airflow though. you can always pull the side and see if they drop
Score
December 4, 2011 10:18:16 AM

Sorry guys my room temps are 76 degrees. Yes its a stock cooler. Not overclocked although I hope to be able to do that with the noctua d-14. Seems like the top it has gone right now but I haven't been playing for long is 67c. SO I guess as long as it doesn't go above 68c i'm good until I get that new cooler I take it? Yeah I almost laughed when I unboxed this 930 at first. I actually think my girlfriends stock amd 965 fan was better. =/

Sorry for not being more specific on my first post guys.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2011 10:25:23 AM

Stock cooler sucks.. I bought an aftermarket cooler Tt V1 AX for $50 and it can cool it down at 4GHz stable... My CPU OCed is currently stable but reaching 100*C in about 3-4 mins... Note, Lapped your CPU&Heatsink so you get better temp like me because before i lapped, my temp was 55*C Idle minimum and 90*C on stock clock, now on stock clock, it's reaching around the mid 70s instead of 90s after Lapped...

EDIT: My Spec:
i7 950
Sabertooth x58
Tt V1 AX cooler...
Score
December 4, 2011 10:29:43 AM

Sorry I wanted to add this instead of edit because I think its pretty important. I have a haf 922 case and I haven't modified it any. I thought that would cool well enough? While were on the convo of fans I have a question. Would it be wise for me to mount my Noctua d-14 like this guy did in the same case as mine? I've seen that it can be turned a different way. Not really sure what would be the best. Another reason it might be so hot is because I got a 480, lol.

Does this look correct?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUhGfeU5fbw

I gotta google what lapped means. I keep hearing people talking about that but I heard it wasn't needed with the noctua d-14 that's another reason I ordered it. I had a coolermaster v8 and it was same temps as my stock fan, really frustrating. I tried two different thermal pastes also. Rma'd it to newegg and ordered the noctua it will be here Tuesday :) 
Score
a c 80 à CPUs
December 4, 2011 10:32:59 AM

stock cooler does the job, it keeps it within thermal limits for the chip that intel is happy with for the warranty they offer.
Now anyone who is an enthusiast wants it cooler, so they declare that it doesn't work.

No-one has asked the question about your case however, how well ventilated is your case? no cooler will work without fresh cool air to cool with.

Oh! and make your pushpins are fully fitted, you'll see high idles if they are not as well as high load temps, so you are probably ok.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2011 10:42:40 AM

I used the stock cooler to overclock a 920 to 3.2ghz, and it stayed under 70C Prime 95 load... I had to lower the voltages a little bit, but the stock cooler was decent enough for the OC and is good enough for stock settings.

Now I'm rocking a CM Hyper 212+ with the 920@3.8 with load temps near 60C.

You can lower the Vcore to much lower than the stock setting if you don't raise the clocks at all. This will keep your cpu cool enough until you get the new heatsink.
Score
December 4, 2011 10:42:50 AM

I think its pretty well ventilated. Only a few wires are missing from my tie in beside the back of the case where you hide all the wires. Probally could do a little better but not much better. When you say pushpins im assuming you mean the ties correct?
Score
December 4, 2011 10:44:14 AM

I appreciate all the help i've been given after the noctua d-14 answer is done I guess im done asking questions. How am i supposed to select a best answer when so many are the same. LOL :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2011 10:58:26 AM

cmaki2008 said:
I appreciate all the help i've been given after the noctua d-14 answer is done I guess im done asking questions. How am i supposed to select a best answer when so many are the same. LOL :) 

Just select the one with the best feelings like for my post, i said lapped and your planning to lap, choose mine but if you dont and think my post is worthless, you can select others that make more sense to get 1st place lol...
Score
a c 80 à CPUs
December 4, 2011 10:59:33 AM

its the legs that go through the mobo, they don't always make it all the way through unless you use a bit pressure. What are your front and rear fans doing?
Score
December 4, 2011 11:05:07 AM

Yep those are all the way through. Took a few try's though, not gonna lie. I haven't modified my fans any from the way they were shipped with the case. It's a older Haf 922. I believe it only has a fan at the bottom front one at the top and one at the back if im not mistaken. I didn't change the orientation of them thinking coolermaster knows better then me and honestly I couldn't tell you. I'm a idiot. lol
Score

Best solution

a c 118 à CPUs
December 4, 2011 11:10:00 AM

under 70 is fine for the stock cooler. average idle temps will be 38-42 if your running with c1 haltstate enabled and intel speed step enabled in bios.
the noctua should knock 10%-15% from idle temps and anything up to 50% at load. think 34'c-ish idle and 52'c ish @100% load for stock temps.
crank the cpu to 3.6ghz on stock volts shouldnt be to hard for that cpu and still stay under 65 but the noctua really shows its stripes when you get to 4.2. if working propperly it should keep you under 72'c.

btw forget about arctic silver 5, arctic make better. arctic mx-4 or tuniq tx-4 are currently 2 of the best. they dont require heat cycling, so perfom straight away... unlike AS5 which can take 200+ hours.
December 4, 2011 11:13:23 AM

HEXiT said:
under 70 is fine for the stock cooler. average idle temps will be 38-42 if your running with c1 haltstate enabled and intel speed step enabled in bios.
the noctua should knock 10%-15% from idle temps and anything up to 50% at load. think 34'c-ish idle and 52'c ish @100% load for stock temps.
crank the cpu to 3.6ghz on stock volts shouldnt be to hard for that cpu and still stay under 65 but the noctua really shows its stripes when you get to 4.2. if working propperly it should keep you under 72'c.

btw forget about arctic silver 5, arctic make better. arctic mx-4 or tuniq tx-4 are currently 2 of the best. they dont require heat cycling, so perfom straight away... unlike AS5 which can take 200+ hours.

Thanks for all the info. I was thinking about using the Noctua Nh-1 paste. I think that's what comes with it. Although i've heard if I apply to much I might kill my motherboard because its "non conductive"?

I will probably have to buy a tube of what your referencing after my wallet cools off from all this spending. *grin

Alright I think that answers all my questions, I'm going to assume that I should just put it in the case the same way as the other people with the haf 922 did.
Thanks to EVERYONE 100% if I could pick you all I would.

Really thanks alot, Cole.
Score
December 4, 2011 11:31:23 AM

Best answer selected by cmaki2008.
Score
a c 80 à CPUs
December 4, 2011 11:44:53 AM

cmaki2008 said:
Yep those are all the way through. Took a few try's though, not gonna lie. I haven't modified my fans any from the way they were shipped with the case. It's a older Haf 922. I believe it only has a fan at the bottom front one at the top and one at the back if im not mistaken. I didn't change the orientation of them thinking coolermaster knows better then me and honestly I couldn't tell you. I'm a idiot. lol

move the one at the bottom to the front, it'll have better air to draw on. And it'll help keep the gpu cool to.
Score
!