Radeon 5770 with Killer NIC - worth it?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Today/Tomorrow BUDGET RANGE: $130/$110 (w/SH)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (RPG, RTS, light FPS, mostly pre-2010)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: None (new build), Thermaltake TT-450 450watt PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2Ghz, 4GB Corsair XMS3, ECS A880LM-M, Thermaltake V2 case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, TigerDirect COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer ATI/AMD in this case, could go Nvidia if good deal arises

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would prefer the coolest, quietest, least-power consuming card available, due to the loud GT240 I have running right now (even at idle!).

I was thinking of getting this card for my new build since I saw it on sale for $109, Visiontek Radeon 5770 with NIC

Would I get any noticeable performance over a Sapphire 6770 ? The Sapphire is my other choice for a card. I've heard that even though it is a rebadge, the 6-series fixes some graphical issues with older games that the 5-series had, and I still play many of my older games from time to time. Any feedback is much appreciated!
3 answers Last reply
More about radeon 5770 killer worth
  1. Weird, haven't seen a NIC on a video cards before..Well seems like a decent add-in. In the past the Killer NICs didn't really have much to offer over motherboard network adapters, but I understand they are getting better.

As long as your drivers are updated, I don't think you'll have any issues.
  2. Well I've seen a KNIC alone go for 110 my htpc uses a HIS 5770 it games alright I usually have the fan set at 60% it's cool and silent it runs New Vegas at ultra at 1920x1200.As for the 6770 I think they are just an updated version of the 5770 it is probably more efficient power wise but I haven't heard if that's true or not.
  3. knic cards are pretty much useless. onboard nic is just as good. reviews have been done and all point to these results. in some cases knic cards give 0.1% better performance. if your paying extra to have that feature, i would not bother.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product