Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 5770 with Killer NIC - worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2011 10:10:46 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Today/Tomorrow BUDGET RANGE: $130/$110 (w/SH)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (RPG, RTS, light FPS, mostly pre-2010)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: None (new build), Thermaltake TT-450 450watt PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2Ghz, 4GB Corsair XMS3, ECS A880LM-M, Thermaltake V2 case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, TigerDirect COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer ATI/AMD in this case, could go Nvidia if good deal arises

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would prefer the coolest, quietest, least-power consuming card available, due to the loud GT240 I have running right now (even at idle!).

I was thinking of getting this card for my new build since I saw it on sale for $109, Visiontek Radeon 5770 with NIC

Would I get any noticeable performance over a Sapphire 6770 ? The Sapphire is my other choice for a card. I've heard that even though it is a rebadge, the 6-series fixes some graphical issues with older games that the 5-series had, and I still play many of my older games from time to time. Any feedback is much appreciated!
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 1:38:54 AM

Weird, haven't seen a NIC on a video cards before..Well seems like a decent add-in. In the past the Killer NICs didn't really have much to offer over motherboard network adapters, but I understand they are getting better.

As long as your drivers are updated, I don't think you'll have any issues.
July 4, 2011 2:04:06 AM

Well I've seen a KNIC alone go for 110 my htpc uses a HIS 5770 it games alright I usually have the fan set at 60% it's cool and silent it runs New Vegas at ultra at 1920x1200.As for the 6770 I think they are just an updated version of the 5770 it is probably more efficient power wise but I haven't heard if that's true or not.
a c 169 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 2:48:21 AM

knic cards are pretty much useless. onboard nic is just as good. reviews have been done and all point to these results. in some cases knic cards give 0.1% better performance. if your paying extra to have that feature, i would not bother.
!