Need info for NAT's and booting up a computer for the first time

Jimcricket

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
So i'm just about to start to put my first build together and will inevitably have to connect it up to the internet for Windows updates, driver updates, and so on. I was reading that before I do so I should hide my computer behind a NAT connection before I do this. Now i've been reading a little about a NAT connection and it sounds as if it keeps my ip address from being disclosed to outside connections keeping out potential unwanted threats especially before i get an antivirus program installed.
What i am not clear on is is a NAT connection a piece of hardware i would hook up between my router and modem/computer, or is it something i can set up on my computer say in my network sharing center?

Please feel free to elaborate on any of this, plus anything that may have been missed and help keep my new build from falling apart before it even gets going. :D

Jimcricket

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

Emerald is there anyway to tell if my router has a NAT built into it? Or is this type of router something I will have to buy separate from the router provided by my internet provider? Or is NAT a common feature in routers?

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Look at the IP addresses on any of the other computers behind the router. If the address are any of the following you're using NAT:

192.168.?.? (most common)
10.?.?.? (see it sometimes)
172.16.?.? through 172.31.?.? (fairly uncommon, but valid nonetheless)

? = wild card / meaning those numbers don't matter. If the rest matches it's a private network meaning your router is doing NAT prior to it going out to the internet. The above address space is defined under RFC 1918 and will not route on the internet.