I have had my computer that I built about a year ago running without any problems until now. Basically, what is happening from what I can tell right now is that the computer goes through POST and starts to load into windows and then the monitor goes black and the accessories (mouse and keyboard) seem to loose power. That is what happens most often in the times that I tried to get it to work, but there are also a few other things that it did:
1. After I saw it do that the first time, I turned it off and then restarted it and went into the BIOS planning on resetting it thinking that it was simply a problem with the overclock I had on it in the past. But I forgot that I had already reset it and there was no overclock because a few weeks ago my ac stopped working in the house and it was like 100f room temp so I turned of the OC because didn't want the computer to run to hot in intensive programs. After being in the BIOS for 30 seconds to a minute, it randomly froze.
2. Some of the times I couldn't even see anything on the monitor, it just kept checking between its different inputs and never found a signal.
3. Yesterday, the computer ran all day long well within normal temperatures without any problems at all.
4. I have all of the most up to date drivers, and as I said it worked fine as of yesterday with absolutely no changes made that I can think of.
I have Win7 64bit and the rest of the specs are in my sig, the only difference is that my cpu isn't overclocked now.
If I think of anything else I will update this immediately, any help would be much appreciated!
Edit: I just turned it on again, and this time it got to where it says "starting windows" (or something like that) right before it lets you type your password and then it just froze, the screen didn't go black or the monitor lose its signal, it just stopped right there.
Looks like your may need a new power supply or memory or VGA or motherboard But since it is new PC you should be covered by warranties.
But first narrow it down.
Unplug all unnecessary components: CD/DVDROM , non-bootable HDDs and try to boot. Wait and see what happens.
It that does not work...
1) Try to boot with only one memory stick. Test them all one by one. If problem is till there, then it is not the memory
2) If you have older power supply or other PC pull power supply out and try it in your PC. If problem is still there it is not the power supply
3)Try the same with VGA. I had similar problem in work when PC would boot to windows and then freeze after few minutes. It turned out to be VGA!!!! So just test it it won't hurt.
If all above won't work RMA your motherboard
Update: It just let me boot in safe mode, so I am running full virus and malware scans just because I had a problem a few months ago that was kind of similar to this and was caused by a nasty virus/malware that caused all kinds of problems. After the scans are done, if that doesn't fix the problem I will go back and use the windows disk repair feature and see if that works.
Well for now it seems to be working after going into safe mode. It has been running normally including playing a few games for about an hour now. I will update this thread later if the problem arises again. Thanks for all the help guys.