What is the best Z77 chipset motherboard currently?

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
In your opinion, what is the best Z77 chipset motherboard, and why.

I have decided to go with a Z77 LGA 1155 socket since they're coming out with a new 1150 socket so investing in the 2011 socket would be a waste of money imo.

I don't really know about all the key fancy smancy bonuses that come with the z77 mobo's (z77 is the newest right?), so I need your guy's help in choosing a mobo that will fit my needs.
The Z77A MSI "military grade" mobos look really nice and intriguing. The Asus sabertooth is even sexier with the all black finish.

Important question; will these mobos support my old hard drives that I'm using right now? I don't know what the model is or anything i looked on dxdiag. (also I have never built a computer before)

Other info:

The MSI Z77A-GD55/ and 65 are $50 off.
There's an Intel DZ77GA70K ATX LGA1155 Z77 on sale for $210 regular $270, not sure if that's any good.
The sabertooth is on sale for like $20.
ASRock Z77 Pro 3 ATX LGA1155, ASRock Z77 EXTREME4/EXTREME 6 are also on sale, for $60, and the Pro 3 for $50.
These seem like top tier mobos that are on sale, so I'd prefer to get one on sale. Bottom line my max budget is $250.

Most important to least:
-Gaming (top priority by far)
-Video editing
-Coding in c++ / learning code and coding
-Making music/ playing instruments
-Server hosting (wont be doing a whole lot of this, might not even do any)

Solution

It is definately capable, and the of 3D, Gigabyte 680 OC is definately affordable in the $500 range. I haven't heard anything about DC2 matching DC2T after firmware...

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

I think you got it backward, the socket 1150 will replace the socket 1155, not socket 2011. Going for socket 2011 is not a waste of money if you need number cruching, video editting as well as socket longevity and compatibility to next gen Ivy Bridge E.

The MSI Z77A-GD65 is a good choice if its on sale for cheap. I'm not a fan of Asrock since I had nothing but bad experience with them.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

What I'm saying is if there's a new socket, why get a 2011 when I can get the 1150 when it comes out? Unless 1150 chipset is also compatible with 2011? I'm confused...

I meant that it's $50 off not on for $50. What do you think of ASUS Z77's?

Intel uses a split socket strategy.
Mainstream CPU's (so the Core i3/5/7 series and some Pentiums) use the LGA1155 socket. Its the socket that the vast majority of people use. This will soon be replaced with LGA1150 when the Haswell CPU's come out mid next year-ish.

Then there's the uber-enthusiast/business server socket, LGA2011. That's where you find the highest end i7's and Xeon CPU's. This socket is basically useless for your usage though, the amount of grunt these CPU's can put out is simply not needed for gaming (or even video editing unless its a workstation type machine). Also its quite expensive, the lowest end CPU will cost you $300, and the mobo's have a hefty price on them as well.

I personally would go with the AsRock Z77 Extreme4. Has most of the features of higher end boards, great value for money and looks good IMO. I have had no problems with my unit.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Ah okay I egt it now. Yeah I decided awhile ago not to go for the LGA 2011 because someone said the same thing.

The Extreme4 looks nice, altough why not go with the Extreme6 since they're both on sale? What does the Extreme 6 have that the Extreme 4 doesn't? Also, since you know about the Extreme 4, what nice features does it have? Apparently the Extreme6 lacks good documentation/detail (which is bad for a first builder like me) and it also requires a PS2 keyboard for bios... which I don't have :/, and some experience it not allowing their ram to run at 2133.

As for the the MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 "To use Intel Smart Response Technology with SATA III you need to have the SSD and the HDD plugged in to SATA ports 1 & 2." what does that mean?

I would go for the ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77 since it's more my color scheme, but in the end it doesn't really matter especially since I have a HAF912 that is just going to hide everything. Unless this is a better mobo.

As far as I know the only difference between the Extreme4 and 6 is a Displayport video out, useless IMO. Displayport monitors are expensive, and if you have a screen of that calibre you would have a graphics card for it.
My Extreme4 can use a USB keyboard in the BIOS, dont know why the 6 wouldn't.
Wouldnt worry about the 2133Mhz problem, thats a situation you wont have to deal with, and is a pointless battle given that Ivy Bridge doesn't support above 1866Mhz (I think).

Intel Smart Response (SRT) is a way using an SSD as a cache drive for a Hard Drive. Basically it stores commonly accessed files in the SSD so most of the time you are getting SSD speeds on a HDD. Wouldnt bother using it though.
The actual instruction mean that you need to plug the cache (SSD) and the cached (HDD) drive into those two ports for it to work.

Q - What's the purpose of your build?

The 'best' Z77 MOBO's with Ivy Bridge (K) processors:
1xHD Gamer (2-WAY SLI) - ASUS Maximus V FORMULA/THUNDERFX
3xHD Gamer (4-WAY SLI) - ASUS Maximus V EXTREME
Highest quality consumer (4-WAY SLI) - ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM
Best value (2-WAY SLI) - ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Now if I'm going to 4-WAY SLI it isn't going to be on the Z77, it's going to be on the X79/LGA 2011.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
The Xfast utilities apparently are really annoying and hard to close and aren't the greatest. The Extreme4 apparently is really small, and will flex when you put in the atx power connector. Also it doesn't come with IDE ports* or something so I'd need to get a SATA based drive. The Extreme4 also has some minor small flaws. These two boards aren't looking to good from what I see.

XXStavrosXX

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

According to the greek edition PC Magazine, Asrock z77 OC Formula comes slightly ahead from ASUS maximus V Formula performance-wise (pc mark vantage)

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

Check the Spoiler. Also I just like new technology, a durable z77 with no annoying applications or notable flaws will do fine for me. The ASRock Z77 is the only one that I can afford right that you listed unless I waited which I don't really want to but still $380+ for a motherboard is a lot for me.

hmm did some digging. ASRock stole the design from some guy for their Xfast logo: http://bency.deviantart.com/art/Encide-Battlebay-2010-186396806 and they aren't crediting him of course. Plus their Xfast stuff is super gimmicky, programs cannot make your internet speed faster, or your ram faster, and the usb only goes from 275mb to 425mb and that is not 5 times faster. I don't like the idea of supporting a company like this, but if you guys persist that this is the way to go then I guess...

What about the Intel DZ77GA70K ATX LGA1155 Z77? I can't find a single review or even an unboxing, is it new technology or something?

If you dont want the XFast stuff, just dont install them.

The board is slightly smaller than ATX standard, so the far right mounting holes wont line up with the case. I dont see it as a problem though, just slip your fingers under the board when you plug in the 24pin to support it.

As far as I know there is only one Z77 mobo on the market that supports IDE (AsRock Fatal1ty Z77). Its a defunct standard, just like DDR2, you just wont find it anymore.

What are these flaws? In my usage of it I haven't found anything.

If you read a bit closer on the XFast RAM, you will realize it doesn't claim to make it faster. XFast RAM is a utility for the creation of RAM disks, not increasing their speed.
Though the XFast USB I have found to have no difference, in some cases it degraded performance (tested on a 500GB external USB3 HDD, a USB flash drive may improve though).

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Apparently there is a lack of fan controllers and settings and it doesn't report voltage completely accurate (extreme4), their support is decent /lacking/ not very helpful apparently. These would make me go for the Extreme6 but the ps/2 keyboard requirement and lack of clear documentation and manuals is a huge turn off as a first time builder.

Other than the Xfast stuff and other apps that I most likely will not use, what makes the extreme4/6 better than the sabertooth z77 or the MSI Z77A-GD65?

Only info I could find on the voltage's for the Extreme4 was that it has a variance between 1.039 and 1.065, we are talking tiny amounts of energy here. Well within acceptable ranges.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5793/intel-z77-motherboard-review-with-ivy-bridge-asrock-asus-gigabyte-and-msi/3

Cant vouch for their support, haven't had to use it. But there will always be horror stories about any company's customer support and they will always be over-represented on the Internet.

What do you mean a lack of documentation?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme6/?cat=Manual
Right there on its product page, and with the board itself.

Also where have you got this idea for only PS/2 in the BIOS? Cant find anything on it. My USB keyboard works fine in the Extreme4 BIOS, cant imagine why it would be different (wouldnt be surprised if it was the same BIOS).

Sorry I missed the bottom, I would have assumed it to be in the top:
Most important to least:
-Gaming (top priority by far)
-Video editing
-Coding in c++ / learning code and coding
-Making music/ playing instruments
-Server hosting (wont be doing a whole lot of this, might not even do any)
Okay Gaming at what resolution?
How many monitors?
How and what are you Rendering and for what end source?

I appreciate reviews, but they're not entirely reliable or accurate. I wish they were.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
My Extreme 4 still works very well, even though I thought I flexed it multiple times during installation(my first computer), turns out I didn't. Just remember to support the 24 Pin socket on the backside with your finger when you plug the 24 pin in it, I also recommend install your Rams before your drop the mobo into the case(do so on your motherboard box).

Fan controller functions works just fine as well, I didn't bother installing any of the XFast features but the board is still a great value with Realtek Audio Drivers+7.1 HD & 2 extra Sata III.

If you are so paranoid about the ASRock horror stories then feel free to spend $20 extra for a Gigabyte Z77-ud3h, it is full ATX size, offers less features( Audio driver not as good & only 2 Sata III) but other than that it is a great board.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
All I know is that the voltage reporting tends to be 0.01-0.02 volts less than what is set, not sure if this is a big deal.

Here is a few quotes regarding the extreme6:

"Documentation is disorganized, talkes about software drivers in the middle of hardware description and lacking in detail. Many components of the board are not described in words. Page 2 shows the Sata connectors facing up. Actually they face sideways. Clearance here would be a problem with short cases and two right angle plugs would not work."

"My eyesight prevents me from reading much of the small print and most of the print is small. The motherboard graphic is almost impossible for anyone to read and decipher. Info on loading updated drivers is lacking."

I'm not sure if people are lying or their keyboards are disfunctional, but numerous people reported that it requires ps/2.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

I find the user manual to be very helpful and quite organized, I had no problem with it.

The voltage being under reported by a little bit thing isn't just ASRock I believe, and either way not a serious issue for that small amount.

People who complained about P/S2 only during Bios Plugged their USB Keyboard/Mouse in the wrong port, with any Z77 board your top 2 USB 3.0 port(Intel) on the back panel is disabled when you plug-in the front panel USB 3.0 header to your board, every other USB3.0 ports are third party and require a driver to be installed to work.

You have to plug your USB mouse/keyboard into a usb 2.0 port to make them work during BIOS.

Extreme 4(134.99)/6(160-180 range, changing quite often) are not better in Sabertooth($220+ minimum, but they are significantly cheaper while not lacking in core features, what they don't have (wifi/TUF armor/dust defender) aren't that vital for everyday use, and you can get a USB/PCI wifi solution for a lot cheaper than the difference in price.

Extreme 4's greatest advantage is price/performance, you aren't going to find a board that offers more feature for less. I also find the 2 4 pin fan header on top of the CPU socket to be very useful as it allows me to run 2 PWM(adjust speed with temp in real time, less noisy) fans on my CPU cooler instead of using an adapter, not to mention it offers the most fan header for a sub $160 board(6) most others have either 4 or 5.

Read all the bad reviews you want, it won't help you decide what product to buy one bit. I read through all the 1 egg reviews on newegg and it made me think my new PC is doomed to fail, guess what: none of what they said happened to my new PC, it runs just fine.

Do realize people who are dissatisfied with their products are much more likely to post reviews than those who feel great about theirs.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

Uhm, I'm sure I will be using 1920 x 1080 on the BenQ XL2420T. One monitor. I will be using video editing software like Power Director 10 or adobe after effects. Might try photoshop. I also will be making music but that will have to wait until I can get a PCI card w/ firewire port. Don't know what you mean by end source, never gotten into coding yet, although I most likely will be using c++ or java. But it is something I WILL be getting into, I will force myself to learn, maybe even heavily into.

Yeah that's the thing with reviews. It's best to get first hand advice on forums like this.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

I don't understand what this is
"I also find the 2 4 pin fan header on top of the CPU socket to be very useful as it allows me to run 2 PWM(adjust speed with temp in real time, less noisy) fans on my CPU cooler instead of using an adapter, not to mention it offers the most fan header for a sub $160 board(6) most others have either 4 or 5."
So does this mean you can put fans on top of an after market heatsink? I'm confused. Does the Sabertooth have that as well or no?

So bottom line is the extreme 6 better or the sabertooth, and is the extreme 6 worth the extra $50 to upgrade from the extreme 4 (both are on sale).

I'm going to be getting off and I will be back in 8 or so hours, please reply with as much detail within that time, I have like 24 hours to decide what mobo to get before the sale is over. Thanks again.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Most Z77 board in the Extreme 4's price range(110-160) only have 1 CPU fan header(4 pin) if you want t use 2 fan on your aftermarket heatsink you will need an adapter or plug it into one of the 3 pin chasis headers(not optimal in term of fan control and might be too far).

Sabertooth is better if you don't consider the price, but in term of price/performance I'd take 6(much cheaper while still having all the core features). However 6 don't offer anything significant that 4 doesn't offer(except maybe size but you can get around that by being careful during installation) for $50 more, plus on Newegg right now you get 8 G of G.Skill DDR3-1600 Ram when buying a 134.99 Extreme 4, much more useful than the 60G SSD(too small for anything once you installed the OS) you get with Extreme 6 .

Okay from what I seen so far and unless you're rendering large DVD/BR quality movies then:
CPU: i7-3770K
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
RAM: 4x4GB, 2x8GB or 4x8GB DDR3-1600 CAS 9, 10 in 8GB density
4x4GB - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB Model 993995
2x8GB - CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10
4x8GB - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 32GB Model 994055
GPU: Depends on the games. For starters either the GTX 660 Ti or HD 7950 or higher in non-reference cards.