Sign in with
Your question

After BSOD, HDD not detected by BIOS

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2011 5:14:30 PM

Hello again, this problem is a lot more serious than my last one. My other, more reliable computer has BSOD'd out of the blue, and now, well, the title says it all.

There is one oddity though, the CMOS in the setup menu can recognize the HDD, detect it's space, and volume. However, BIOS blatantly ignores it, listing it as non-existant. At first, I was thinking maybe the drive was blanked, and would not boot, because windows had been disabled or otherwise deleted, however, my windows setup disk agrees with the BIOS, claiming that there is no drive at all.

I realize the possibility that the drive itself might not be the problem, but as I have no money to buy another one, I am looking to see if there are any other possible causes for this problem as well.

More about : bsod hdd detected bios

September 4, 2011 8:13:30 PM

what does your p.o.s.t screen have to say about this???
m
l
September 5, 2011 12:20:48 PM

badtaylorx said:
what does your p.o.s.t screen have to say about this???
It says:

IDE Channel 0 Master : Maxtor ORION RA530JNZ
IDE Channel 0 Slave : None
IDE Channel 1 Master : MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8587 5Z21
IDE Channel 1 Slave : None
Floppy disk(s) fail (40)

the Channel 0 Master is the HDD I'm using. and channel 1 is my DVD drive, this computer has no floppy drive.

Again, the HDD is recognized as being present in the POST, and in the CMOS, but the BIOS refuses to acknowledge it, nor does the windows setup boot disk.
m
l
September 8, 2011 2:06:07 AM

My problem is still unresolved, I'm sorry I can't offer more timely responses, but I'm going to have to Bump this thread. I'd really appreciate any and all theories or solutions offered.
m
l
!