Intel GMA driver and ATI CCC 11.6 incompatability/issues

brigada37

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Hi,

I am having an extremely annoying problem that I have been trying to fix for the past couple of days and can not. I just built myself a brand new PC and one of the things that is bothering me is that whenever I uninstall the ATI display driver, the screen goes black and then stays that way. It never turns back on (the monitor is still on, it just remains black) and so the only way I can get back into Windows 7 is to restart the computer. Also, when I uninstall the ATI display driver, I hear that specific sound that you hear when you unplug a USB or an IPOD.

Now, here is the interesting thing - the uninstall works perfectly fine when there is NO Intel GMA driver present. I have it present right now, because it is one of the required drivers for my motherboard from the GIGABYTE website (it also fixes the yellow ! in my device manager).

Here are my specs:

GIGABYTE z68x-ud3h-b3
XFX ATI 6950 1GB
CORSAIR 750TX V2
8GB G. SKILL RAM 1600
Core i5 2500K
WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 6.0

P.S. please feel free to add any comments concerning the build; I am relatively new to computers but I did a LOT of research on the parts and hope that I got everything right.

Thank you,

Sebastian

Timop

Distinguished
I'm not too sure, but I think you need the virtu drives before the Intel ones. Uninstall everything then Catalyst->Virtu->Intel and see if it works.

Though with your setup you'd want the AMD drivers to be active, so why uninstall it?

brigada37

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Oh that's right! I didn't even think of that for some reason. I thought that the Virtu technology would just be there and would not need any drivers but not that I looked into it, it definitely does.

As for uninstalling the drivers, at first I installed the drivers that were on the cd that the video card came with. But then I realized that the drivers on the AMD website were newer so I uninstalled the old ones, and wanted to install the new ones. That's where the problem came in.

I will do as you said and then let you know what happened, Timop.

Thanks,

Sebastian

brigada37

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Yeah, I tried installing the Virtu drivers as well, but the uninstall process still failed (the screen turned and stayed black during the uninstallation of the ati display driver). Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks