Building a gaming PC, want input

G

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I'm building a gaming computer and this is what I have so far.

Motherboard:
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

CPU:
Intel i7 2600K

GPU:
MSI GTX 560 Ti OC

Memory:
G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600

HDD:
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

SSD:
Intel 320 Series 120GB

Optical Drive:
Lite On DVD Burner

PSU:
Corsair TX650 V2

Heat Sink/Fan:
Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Case:
Cooler Master Storm Scout

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

My only concerns right now:
- Drop the i7 2600K for the i5 2500K since I mostly will be using the computer for gaming? Does streaming change anything?
- Drop the Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3 for the P67 Extreme4? I really don't think I need the Z68 chipset; I just want it. -_-;;
- I don't feel right about the PSU. At all. I think it's mostly because I know so little about them and don't want to make a poor decision.

Does my list look okay overall?

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
keep the z68 to make use of intel irst.....and save a cppl bucks by going down to a 60gb ssd......

and id save further by going with the 2500k.........

and then spend the 250 you just saved on more games!!!

ps.....corsair makes GREAT psu's worry not.....

good luck

Are you planning on SLI in the near future if so you might want to think about increasing the power supply , maybe 750w , it is always better to have more than not enough. If you drop down to the 2500 k then you can put the extra money into the psu. If there is any left over you can double your ram to 16 gb , the only reason I say that is because ram is extremely cheap right now and it would be a good time to take advantage of it.

malindar

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Get a Corsair TX750 V2 Awesome Power supply....and pesonaly i think 16Gb is overkill unless you run a lot of VMs and other High memery Demanding stuff...8GB is more than enough for gaming

and try to get a SSD a "64 GB Crucial m4" maybe Awesome SSD i have to say...go for 2500K and OC that son of a bitch to 4.2 ~ 4.5 :D

if you have space on your budget sawp the casing to Cooler Master HAF X..just saying its way better to have a full tower..

G

I've decided to go with the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 motherboard and the Corsair TX750 V2 for my PSU.

SLI is something I'm considering for the future. Either I'll replace the GTX 650 Ti with a whole new card in the future, replace it with a pair of cards in the future, or in the near future simply add another GTX 560 Ti.

With those two changes, will that make this build viable? Or am I missing anything else?

malindar

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Well you can Drop and Processor and use that money 2500K is on per with 2600K only HT is missing which some people disable when OCing.
use that money for an SSD fir the boot Drive or Save it for Games. or a good audio card like Xonar DX \ D2X

G

I made some revisions.

Mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme4
CPU: i5 2500K
GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti OC
Memory: G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
SDD: Crucial M4 128GB SATA III
Optical Drive: OEM DVS Burner
Heat Sink and Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Will the i7 2600K really help for streaming enough to warrant the $95 difference?

Is the 650W PSU overkill when I think I only need ~500W?