Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Home built systems

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2011 7:29:02 PM

hey guys, i know this system is overkill but thats the point really. ALL i want to ask about is do any of you see any potential problems i might run into. here is the wish list i made on new egg wich i will be ordering on the eight of august

corsair obsidain 650 d
asus maximus iv extreme z 68
core i7 2600 k
16 gb gskill ripjaws 1866
2x asus matrix gtx 580 (i want to sli) i know its overkill but this is my dream system im building here. lol almost
corsair force series gt ssd 120 gb
2x samsung spinpoint f3 1 gb.

ive done my home work and im almost positive these components will work together but any feed back will be appreciated. all this stuff is going to be expensive and i dont want any dissapointments. my bigest concern is about the gpu's and heat. iv'e orderd a couple extra fans to be creative with but...........

More about : home built systems

September 4, 2011 8:15:28 PM

I would bump up the power supply it seems a little low , since this is your dream system why not be safe and go for a 1000w PS. I think those two video cards are going to pull some serious voltage and they take up 3 slots each. Are these cards going to do something for you that a two slot solution can't do , your whole motherboard is going to be two video cards. What about the MSI Lightning Extreme Edition , only two slots and they both would have 3 gb of GDDR5 memory.(599.99 ea.)
m
l
September 5, 2011 7:19:24 AM

yeah i know im gonna be pushin it with an 850w power supply. didnt mention the psu by the way. i already puchased a corsair ax 850. and as for the video cards the aesthetics have a lot to to with my choice.besides the matrix is a kick a## card. the only pcie slot im using in my current build is for a gtx 260. only card in the whole system. push comes to shove ill put one of the matrix's in that one and give it to my son.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 5, 2011 8:07:31 AM

You'll want a triple monitor setup, or a high resolution monitor, otherwise there is absolutely no point in having 2 GTX 580's. I have one and it handles pretty much anything I throw at it.

You really won't use all that RAM unless you do a lot of visualization or video/photo editing. I'd put the money towards some nice monitors before going crazy on RAM.

As far as heat dissipation, instead of buying a bunch of noisy fans just get a really good case that has good airflow and you're fine.
September 5, 2011 10:12:22 AM

850w is really really cutting the line fine running SLI 580s.

900w is the recommended and that's without even overclocking CPU/GPU. Should be looking ideally at 1000w PSU with a good 80 PLUS rating (silver or better).

As suggested above, those ASUS 580's take up a fair bit of space. MSI or Gigabyte might be worth looking into, also i believe the Gigabyte 580 has 3 cooling fans while would help keep those nice low desirable temps.
m
l
September 6, 2011 3:17:31 AM

thanks for all the helpful replys guys. i agree about the triple monitors as well. ill eventualy try a 3d gaming setup but for now ill only be using two monitors. im also in school right now working toward a degree in manufacturing design so ill be using solidworks a lot. i know a workstation video card would be better suited to that but im also a gamer so the build will be for work and play and i tried to balance that out. ill have to look into getting a better psu but i have my heart set on those matrix's. lol can anybody say "pretty lights and bells and whistles"
m
l
September 6, 2011 3:22:42 AM

by the way can anyone suggest a good grown up looking case. been looking at the hafx but i think its ugly. im thinking about the obsidian 650d i like the 800d but a lot of reviews say it holds heat in. if anybody has some experience with the 650d and hot video cards i would love some feedback on that as well.
m
l
September 6, 2011 3:27:24 AM

Best answer selected by cgwayne1.
m
l
September 6, 2011 10:12:59 AM

I have a CM Storm Sniper case

I like the case, the side is all mesh and so are the front empty drive bays, and the 3 large 200mm fans are quiet and move a good bit of air. I would have preferred red lights, but, meh, blue looks good too (and it matches my Asus P8P67 Deluxe)
m
l
September 9, 2011 4:52:12 AM

AdrianPerry said:
SilverStone make some great "grown-up" looking cases.

The Raven and the Fortress are both have outstanding cooling performance, however the motherboard/case layout is rotated which personally i dont like, but others have rated it very highly.

Ill grab links to both and update below:
Fortress Range: http://www.silverstonetek.com.tw/product_case.php?tno=7...
Raven Range: http://www.silverstonetek.com.tw/product_case.php?tno=1...

ive been going back and forth on these as well, thanks for taking time to reply.
m
l
!