cgwayne1

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
hey guys, i know this system is overkill but thats the point really. ALL i want to ask about is do any of you see any potential problems i might run into. here is the wish list i made on new egg wich i will be ordering on the eight of august

corsair obsidain 650 d
asus maximus iv extreme z 68
core i7 2600 k
16 gb gskill ripjaws 1866
2x asus matrix gtx 580 (i want to sli) i know its overkill but this is my dream system im building here. lol almost
corsair force series gt ssd 120 gb
2x samsung spinpoint f3 1 gb.

ive done my home work and im almost positive these components will work together but any feed back will be appreciated. all this stuff is going to be expensive and i dont want any dissapointments. my bigest concern is about the gpu's and heat. iv'e orderd a couple extra fans to be creative with but...........

Solution
You'll want a triple monitor setup, or a high resolution monitor, otherwise there is absolutely no point in having 2 GTX 580's. I have one and it handles pretty much anything I throw at it.

You really won't use all that RAM unless you do a lot of visualization or video/photo editing. I'd put the money towards some nice monitors before going crazy on RAM.

As far as heat dissipation, instead of buying a bunch of noisy fans just get a really good case that has good airflow and you're fine.
I would bump up the power supply it seems a little low , since this is your dream system why not be safe and go for a 1000w PS. I think those two video cards are going to pull some serious voltage and they take up 3 slots each. Are these cards going to do something for you that a two slot solution can't do , your whole motherboard is going to be two video cards. What about the MSI Lightning Extreme Edition , only two slots and they both would have 3 gb of GDDR5 memory.(599.99 ea.)

cgwayne1

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
yeah i know im gonna be pushin it with an 850w power supply. didnt mention the psu by the way. i already puchased a corsair ax 850. and as for the video cards the aesthetics have a lot to to with my choice.besides the matrix is a kick a## card. the only pcie slot im using in my current build is for a gtx 260. only card in the whole system. push comes to shove ill put one of the matrix's in that one and give it to my son.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
You'll want a triple monitor setup, or a high resolution monitor, otherwise there is absolutely no point in having 2 GTX 580's. I have one and it handles pretty much anything I throw at it.

You really won't use all that RAM unless you do a lot of visualization or video/photo editing. I'd put the money towards some nice monitors before going crazy on RAM.

As far as heat dissipation, instead of buying a bunch of noisy fans just get a really good case that has good airflow and you're fine.

Solution

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
850w is really really cutting the line fine running SLI 580s.

900w is the recommended and that's without even overclocking CPU/GPU. Should be looking ideally at 1000w PSU with a good 80 PLUS rating (silver or better).

As suggested above, those ASUS 580's take up a fair bit of space. MSI or Gigabyte might be worth looking into, also i believe the Gigabyte 580 has 3 cooling fans while would help keep those nice low desirable temps.

cgwayne1

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
thanks for all the helpful replys guys. i agree about the triple monitors as well. ill eventualy try a 3d gaming setup but for now ill only be using two monitors. im also in school right now working toward a degree in manufacturing design so ill be using solidworks a lot. i know a workstation video card would be better suited to that but im also a gamer so the build will be for work and play and i tried to balance that out. ill have to look into getting a better psu but i have my heart set on those matrix's. lol can anybody say "pretty lights and bells and whistles"

cgwayne1

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
by the way can anyone suggest a good grown up looking case. been looking at the hafx but i think its ugly. im thinking about the obsidian 650d i like the 800d but a lot of reviews say it holds heat in. if anybody has some experience with the 650d and hot video cards i would love some feedback on that as well.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

cgwayne1

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

ive been going back and forth on these as well, thanks for taking time to reply.