I need help with a build on cyberpower please!

waugaha

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hi, i'm looking for a nice build where i can play most games smoothly, on as high settings as possible. I don't want to spend anything over $900. Thanks in advance for the help

Solution
The Phenom x6 CPU's aren't good for gaming, an Intel i3 or i5 is much better. Seriously though, would you not consider building it yourself? I know that it may seem like it would be better quality if you had someone build it for you but it's usually the opposite. These kinds of companies tend to rip you off wherever they can* and don't put the amount of care into your system that you would. They sometimes use low quality PSU's and cases too.

*I bet the website said that system would require 800W and that is ridiculous, 400W would probably do it. Most would recommend around 500W though.

Just to try and prove the point one more time, here is a system that would outperform that in games while still costing less and using higher quality...
I think if you built on Cyberpower you could get something along the lines of:

i3-2100
H61 Motherboard
8GB RAM
HD 6850
500W PSU
1TB Hard Drive

Yes that would be great for gaming but you can get so much more if you build it yourself, it really isn't as hard as it may seem. Try watching some videos and looking at some guides. By building it yourself you could probably improve on that build and get something like this:

i5-2500k
8GB RAM
Z68 Motherboard
GTX 560Ti
1TB Hard Drive
~700W PSU

That would be better and it would be cheaper to upgrade.

EDIT: If you don't want to overclock you could even get an i5-2400, H61 motherboard, ~550W PSU and a GTX 570.

waugaha

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Would this be good for gaming?

Case
NZXT Lexa-S Gaming Case - Black w/ Blue Light
Case Lighting

Processor
[= Six Core =] AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU

Processor Cooling
Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan

Memory
4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - ** FREE Upgrade to 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card
AMD Radeon HD 6870 - 1GB - Single Card

Motherboard
[CrossFire] ASUS M5A97 -- AMD 970 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16
Motherboard USB / SATA Interface
Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface

Power Supply
800 Watt -- Standard

Primary Hard Drive
1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

This was built on ibuypower, and it costs $785

Anything I might need to improve?

The Phenom x6 CPU's aren't good for gaming, an Intel i3 or i5 is much better. Seriously though, would you not consider building it yourself? I know that it may seem like it would be better quality if you had someone build it for you but it's usually the opposite. These kinds of companies tend to rip you off wherever they can* and don't put the amount of care into your system that you would. They sometimes use low quality PSU's and cases too.

*I bet the website said that system would require 800W and that is ridiculous, 400W would probably do it. Most would recommend around 500W though.

Just to try and prove the point one more time, here is a system that would outperform that in games while still costing less and using higher quality parts:

CPU : i3-2100 - $124.99
RAM : 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws - $44.99
MOBO: ASRock H61M-VS - $54.99
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560Ti - $244.99
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 - $59.99
CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520 520W - $59.99
DVD: Samsung DVD Burner - $19.99

Total - $769.91

EDIT: You could even switch the CPU for a quad core i5-2400 and the GPU for a GTX 570 and it would still come to ~$910

Solution

waugaha

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
okay thankyouthankyou. I've always been iffy on buying something from ibuypower, or cyberpowerpc for reasons like this. What about newegg? Would that work out well? I'm just scared to try, I don't want to break any of the little parts while putting things in, and wasting money. If i bought all these parts you're suggesting, how much do you think I could get it built for by some small computer store or something?

I can't really recommend anywhere, i'm from the U.K. I know Newegg is a reliable place to buy components though.

Building a PC yourself isn't that hard, just try watching a few videos and reading a few guides and you can really save yourself a lot of money. The only realistic ways to break something are:

- Bending CPU pins, but you would have to be very heavy handed to do that.

- Killing something with a static charge, just buy an anti static band and that won't happen. Try to keep static sensitive things away from carpets/fabrics too but don't worry too much about it. My GPU was sat on my bed for a bit a few times and that works fine.

- Something short circuiting or overheating because it's not screwed in properly. This one is self explanatory, just make sure everything is screwed or clipped in before you turn anything on.

That's really all there is to it, just read a few guides and you will be fine.