Sign in with
Your question

G.Skill RAM + MSI Z77A-G43 MOBO good combo?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 11, 2012 5:13:00 PM

Hey,

Next week I'll be buying a new gaming PC. I've asked people here for advice and I made most of my descisions, except for one since there's still this thing that's bothering me; will my chosen memory function properly on the motherboard I picked.

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43
Memory: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (F3-1600C9D-8GAB, Ares-Serie, XMP)

Why I'm wondering is because the detailed information on the site says that at standard settings this memory will run on a JEDEC standard at 1333MHz 9-9-9. The modules have to be set manually to 1600MHz 9-9-9 via the XMP function in the BIOS.
I honestly don't have a clue about what this exactly means. I just know people recommended 1600 Mhz RAM for gaming.

Should I buy different memory to avoid this Mhz problem at all? Or is this something that I can easily get done myself perhaps? Or is this MOBO-RAM-combo not really a good choice?

Thanks in advance Tom's Hardware! :) 

Regards, Pascal
September 13, 2012 3:14:59 PM

Pascal den Dekker said:
Hey,

Next week I'll be buying a new gaming PC. I've asked people here for advice and I made most of my descisions, except for one since there's still this thing that's bothering me; will my chosen memory function properly on the motherboard I picked.

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43
Memory: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (F3-1600C9D-8GAB, Ares-Serie, XMP)

Why I'm wondering is because the detailed information on the site says that at standard settings this memory will run on a JEDEC standard at 1333MHz 9-9-9. The modules have to be set manually to 1600MHz 9-9-9 via the XMP function in the BIOS.
I honestly don't have a clue about what this exactly means. I just know people recommended 1600 Mhz RAM for gaming.

Should I buy different memory to avoid this Mhz problem at all? Or is this something that I can easily get done myself perhaps? Or is this MOBO-RAM-combo not really a good choice?

Thanks in advance Tom's Hardware! :) 

Regards, Pascal

It does support the RAM. When the PC starts everything is at default, so the RAM starts at 1333Mhz as it's default. When you are setting up your PC in the BIOS Menu, You'll come across a setting that say's RAM Memory Speed: 1333MHZ. Then all you do is change it to 1600MHZ and you have your RAM done :) 

Have fun building your new PC!

- Samo
Related resources
!