HAF X more noisy than it should be?

EvilHomer15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Hallo, I have been playing around with my computer, to find out how to make it as silent as possible.

I have come to a dead end; the case itself.
I use a HAF X, with:

2 fans on top; the forward one blowing air out, the rear top fan blowing air in.
1 on the side, blowing air in.
1 on the front, blowing air in.
1 on the rear end, blowing air out.

Inside I have a Noctua D14, with 2 fans running ~800 RPM.

I run 2-way crossfire using 6950 Dirt3 Edition Graphic Cards, running 17-20% speed during idling (right now). The speeds were set using MSI Afterburner. There is air distance between the cards. I will possibly buy a bigger ASUS CFX Connector, so I can have even more air between the cards.

Anyways - how do you guys reduce the speed of 5 chassis fans, because I think it is the source of the noise.

I would LOVE to have the fans running 450-550 RPM.

Ninja Pants

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
How are your fans powered?

You have a few options:
- If powered directly from the PSU they will always run at 100%, you can't change that.
- If powered from the mobo you can use either the BIOS or software to control the fans.
- Get a fan controller.

Also reconsider the orientation of the top rear fan, why is not exhaust? You are disrupting allot of the airflow by having it as an intake.

One of the reasons I like the Antec 1200 V3 and DF-85 come with fan speed control built into the fans/case. But you can add a fan controller or do it via the BIOS if you have connected the fans to the MoBo instead of Molex connectors.