Sign in with
Your question

BIOS won't post after installing new RAM

Last response: in Memory
September 11, 2012 6:27:35 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently decided to upgrade my computer by adding 4GB of RAM to my existing 4GB of RAM. My current RAM is Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2x2GB. They are 9-9-9-24, clocked at a frequency of 666.7 MHz and 1.5 V. I wanted to purchase the same type of RAM to avoid any type of compatibility issue, so I found the same RAM, DDR3 1x4GB, 9-9-9-24, 666.7 MHz, and 1.5 V.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZDJ42O/ref=oh_deta...
(It does say 1.65 V on the website description, but the sticker on the RAM module lists it at 1.5 V)

I received and installed the new RAM this morning and right away my BIOS didn't post - no beeps, no nothing. I took out the old RAM and just used the new 1x4 GB stick in every slot - no POST. I then put in my old 2x4GB RAM and BIOS posted and computer booted (also did this in multiple slots). I then wiped CMOS, took out the battery, and retried the new RAM (different slots) - no BIOS post.

Is it possible the new RAM I bought is faulty? Or am I brushing over something here? I'm debating on returning the RAM I just bought and replacing everything with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but I am hesitant considering my motherboard won't even recognize the new RAM I bought.

System info:
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 (unlocked) - AM3 socket
Mobo: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

If more info is needed, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

More about : bios post installing ram

a b } Memory
September 11, 2012 7:05:51 PM

It sounds like faulty ram.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 11, 2012 7:34:49 PM

That's funny neither ASUS or Corsair list that memory from Amazon as compatible. Is this# right CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 ?
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 7:41:35 PM

knightdog56 said:
That's funny neither ASUS or Corsair list that memory from Amazon as compatible. Is this# right CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 ?

That's the correct # for the new RAM that I purchased. The # for my existing RAM is CM3X2G1333C9. Do you think this is the issue? I just bought incompatible RAM? I just assumed that if I stuck with the Corsair XMS3 model RAM I'd be OK.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 11, 2012 8:07:37 PM

Check out the Corsair website to see what memory is compatible for your motherboard.
Or you could check ASUS QVL for your motherboard.
m
l
September 11, 2012 10:42:47 PM

knightdog56 said:
Check out the Corsair website to see what memory is compatible for your motherboard.
Or you could check ASUS QVL for your motherboard.

Thanks for the advice - it seems like my motherboard doesn't support any type of 1x4GB Corsair memory according to Corsair's website.

I checked the ASUS QVL for my motherboard, and I couldn't find the memory I have currently installed. I didn't think that buying something that wasn't listed on the QVL was too big of a deal. I've replaced RAM/installed RAM a dozen times and I've never given it much thought than to just meet the requirements of what the motherboard supports (size/type). Every time before it has always been plug'n play.

I'm going to try and flash an updated BIOS, maybe I'll get lucky. I'm going to guess it would be unwise for me to try out the AMD RAM that I listed in the OP?
m
l
September 11, 2012 11:46:50 PM

Good news, the BIOS update did it - installed the new RAM again and BIOS posted. Thanks for the help!
m
l
a b } Memory
September 12, 2012 1:57:33 AM

That is why they say, make sure all drivers and BIOS are up to date, before doing an RMA.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 12, 2012 2:13:52 AM

Quote:
It does say 1.65 V on the website description, but the sticker on the RAM module lists it at 1.5 V

Typical nomenclature when the JDEC specs are 1.5 v and the XMP profile is 1.65
m
l
!