Need Help on whether to upgrade my system or not

SFRA

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Hey guys,

I currently have a Q8200 on the standard 2.33 Ghz with a HP Motherboad (No Oc'ing posssible), an ATI 6770, a Corsair CX 600W PSU and some 4GB DDR2 Ram. I was thinking of upgrading to a 2500k and 8GB RAM but with the new Ivy Bridge CPUs coming out soon i don't know if that would be a wise investment.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No, your Q8200 is a LGA 775 socket processor. The i5-2500K is an LGA 1155 socketed processor. They use different sockets.
The Ivy Bridge will be LGA 1155 and/or LGA 2011 socketed.
If you keep the same motherboard you have now, you need to find a processor that uses the LGA 775 socket.
Upgrading to 8GB memory will pay off only if you are using a 64 bit operating system (like Windows 7 x64)

if you're hesitant about upgrade, you can try to withhold upgrading for the time being. 4 gb ram is adequate for today's tasks.
in 6-7 months ivy bridge will come out and you can make a more informed decision then.

If you don't have a need to upgrade now then don't upgrade now.

If you wait a year the same dollar amount will buy 20% more power.

Obviously we are all here to help people upgrade things, but I suggest a needs based upgrade cycle. When your computer starts to perform worse than you would deem acceptable is a good time to upgrade. Unless you just have so much money you don't have any idea what to do with it then buy whatever you want starting with a GTX 580.

It will be hard for us to help you to know if/what to upgrade without any set of requirements or objectives. If you really want to upgrade now, figure out what increased capability you need so people can tell you how to cost effectively be able to do that thing.

SFRA

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
I feel like my CPU is bottlenecking my card somehow. Before i upgraded to the 6770 i used to have a 4650 but still in games like LA Noire which i used to run at the lowest settings on 1280 * 720 on the 4650 i get the SAME results running it on 1920 * 1080 and high now on the 6770. It is playable but not smooth i get occasional lags now and then. Is the CPU the problem here?

I don't see any good reason to assume the CPU is bottlenecking the video card. Maybe it is, but I don't see any good reason to assume that at this point.

It sounds more likely to me that the games are just asking too much of the video cards. The 4650 and 6770 are more the low end of the market and they don't perform like 6900 series cards do.

High settings DO tend to ask more of processors than low settings, but if anything your problem is probably on both devices and a better PSU with the same video card would probably give little benefit.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
use task manager to have a look on activity level of cpu

and use msi afterburn to monitor graphics card

(during gameplay minimize the game to have a look on readings)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm agreeing with Raiddinn. The HD 6770 is a tad weak to handle 1920x1080 with lots of eye candy turned on. I used to have a single HD 6850, and it had all it could do to keep up at that resolution with modern games.