PSP vs DS, user opinions are in.

Last response: in Video Games
April 26, 2005 4:56:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.

PSP 7.5
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581....

DS 7.9
http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-308955...

More about : psp user opinions

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:49:34 PM

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
> comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
> of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>

> PSP 7.5
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581....
>
> DS 7.9
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-308955...

Interesting survey results, but are you really going to trust someone who
gives the PSP a 4/10 and says that "NGage is a better choice." Can you
trust someone who gives the DS a 9/10, saying it "out performs the PSP in
nearly every way... the Audio quality is much better than the PSP. the
gamecards are smaller than the PSPs big disks." The DS's audio quality is
better than PSP? This is a guy who spells "awesome" with a "u" after all...

If I could add my opinions:

The DS's touch screen is an interesting gimmick for those few games that
bother to use it. The design is good, as the closed lid shields the screen.
The software line-up is seriously lacking, and even when you find a good
game such as Ridge Racer or Mario, the graphics aren't any better than the
N64. With Nintendo's library, the system could have a decent future once
they release Metroid, Animal Crossing, and other franchises It's $100
cheaper, but you can't play videos, MP3's, or store/view photos and there is
no USB port or memory stick port. The sound is poor, and the little volume
switch makes it hard to get a decent sound level. . If your battery ever
dies, you can't open the unit to replace it. Overall: 7/10

The PSP's screen is amazingly beautiful, with or without pixel problems, and
it has a variety of uses (music, movies, photos, games). Wireless Internet
play is great. It needs a screen cover for protection and smudges easily.
There are more moving parts, and hence more opportunities to break the unit.
It should have been released in a cheaper package without the UMD movie and
memory stick. UMD prices ($19 or $29) are too high. The software line-up
so far is decent, but not spectacular, with games that look nearly as good
as their PS2 counterparts. Upcoming titles such as Gran Turismo and Grand
Theft Auto will surely help sales. Battery life is okay, but could be
better. If your battery dies, you can buy another one. Overall: 9/10

In the end, though, these opinions don't mean much either way. Just as
final vote tallies matter more than a handful of exit polls, sales data will
tell the story more than a survey of a limited group of people (registered
CNet users). We'll see how the PSP does this fall after its first Christmas
season.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:58:13 PM

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
> >
> >They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the
systems is
> >comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
margin
> >of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been
ahead.

> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.

You can't even control your hatred of the DS even when Fred makes a
neutral post about the two systems.
April 26, 2005 8:07:03 PM

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>> comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
>> margin
>> of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>>

>> PSP 7.5
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581....
>>
>> DS 7.9
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-308955...
>

> Interesting survey results, but are you really going to trust someone who
> gives the PSP a 4/10 and says that "NGage is a better choice." Can you
> trust someone who gives the DS a 9/10, saying it "out performs the PSP in
> nearly every way... the Audio quality is much better than the PSP. the
> gamecards are smaller than the PSPs big disks." The DS's audio quality is
> better than PSP? This is a guy who spells "awesome" with a "u" after
> all...

Those are a few responses. You can't trust everyone on a survey, but still
trust the survey. It's called the central limit theorem.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:12:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
>of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.

Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:12:53 PM

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>>
>>They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>>comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
>>of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>

> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.

Oh yes, because we all know sales is the end all in gaming!
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:36:55 PM

> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
>> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>>>
>>>They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>>>comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
>>>margin
>>>of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>>

>> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
>
> Oh yes, because we all know sales is the end all in gaming!

Hmm, maybe I should go out and buy some Lynx games or Sega Gamegear games or
TurboExpress games. Or a new NeoGeo pocket game. They are all better than
gameboy.

Oh wait, they all DIED. =)
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:36:56 PM

"sardu" <robertaccomandonospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> > "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> >> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> >> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

> >> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
> >
> > Oh yes, because we all know sales is the end all in gaming!
> >
> Hmm, maybe I should go out and buy some Lynx games or Sega Gamegear games
or
> TurboExpress games. Or a new NeoGeo pocket game. They are all better than
> gameboy.
>
> Oh wait, they all DIED. =)

Didn't Nintendo say no more hardware from them after the failing Cube, I
guess it won't be long now till there completely gone.

As for SONY, I don't see them going any time soon, they make far too many
various entertainment hardware items and own or control most of everything
you see or hear by way of movies and music.

Just my two cent's, as for the PSP vs DS comparison, there is none, DS is
just a kids game unit with the basic games, PSP on the other hand is a
complete pocket entertainment system for games, movies, music, internet
access and probably more to come with USB additions, custom software etc,
much more bang for the buck and looks better doing it all too :)
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:38:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
> comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
> of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>

> PSP 7.5
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581....
>
> DS 7.9
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-308955...

PSP had almost 300+ more users vote too.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:38:47 PM

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> > They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems
is
> > comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
margin
> > of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been
ahead.

> > PSP 7.5
> > http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581....
> >
> > DS 7.9
> > http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-308955...
> >
> PSP had almost 300+ more users vote too.

I didn't see any vote but then I wasn't looking to prove what I've got was
better by means of voting, I was too busy using my PSP for such kiddy
event's.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:38:48 PM

"Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message

>> PSP had almost 300+ more users vote too.
>
> I didn't see any vote but then I wasn't looking to prove what I've got was
> better by means of voting, I was too busy using my PSP for such kiddy
> event's.

So, by your logic, you're saying that the PSP users much not be having much
fun with their PSP's since they voted more? Or, were you just talking
smack?
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:31:01 PM

Android wrote:
> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>
>>They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>>comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
>>of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>>

>>PSP 7.5
>>http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581....
>>
>>DS 7.9
>>http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-308955...
>

> Interesting survey results, but are you really going to trust someone who
> gives the PSP a 4/10 and says that "NGage is a better choice." Can you
> trust someone who gives the DS a 9/10, saying it "out performs the PSP in
> nearly every way... the Audio quality is much better than the PSP. the
> gamecards are smaller than the PSPs big disks." The DS's audio quality is
> better than PSP? This is a guy who spells "awesome" with a "u" after all...

I would agree...that little poll/survey is not what I would really count
as being accurate by any means.

> If I could add my opinions:
>
> The DS's touch screen is an interesting gimmick for those few games that
> bother to use it. The design is good, as the closed lid shields the screen.
> The software line-up is seriously lacking, and even when you find a good
> game such as Ridge Racer or Mario, the graphics aren't any better than the
> N64. With Nintendo's library, the system could have a decent future once
> they release Metroid, Animal Crossing, and other franchises It's $100
> cheaper, but you can't play videos, MP3's, or store/view photos and there is
> no USB port or memory stick port. The sound is poor, and the little volume
> switch makes it hard to get a decent sound level. . If your battery ever
> dies, you can't open the unit to replace it. Overall: 7/10
>
> The PSP's screen is amazingly beautiful, with or without pixel problems, and
> it has a variety of uses (music, movies, photos, games). Wireless Internet
> play is great. It needs a screen cover for protection and smudges easily.
> There are more moving parts, and hence more opportunities to break the unit.
> It should have been released in a cheaper package without the UMD movie and
> memory stick. UMD prices ($19 or $29) are too high. The software line-up
> so far is decent, but not spectacular, with games that look nearly as good
> as their PS2 counterparts. Upcoming titles such as Gran Turismo and Grand
> Theft Auto will surely help sales. Battery life is okay, but could be
> better. If your battery dies, you can buy another one. Overall: 9/10
>
> In the end, though, these opinions don't mean much either way. Just as
> final vote tallies matter more than a handful of exit polls, sales data will
> tell the story more than a survey of a limited group of people (registered
> CNet users). We'll see how the PSP does this fall after its first Christmas
> season.

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:52:41 PM

> "Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message
>
> >> PSP had almost 300+ more users vote too.
> >
> > I didn't see any vote but then I wasn't looking to prove what I've got
was
> > better by means of voting, I was too busy using my PSP for such kiddy
> > event's.
>
> So, by your logic, you're saying that the PSP users much not be having
much
> fun with their PSP's since they voted more? Or, were you just talking
> smack?

I don't get the logic excuse my ignorance but if PSP had 300 + more voter's
how is it the DS came out with a better score, something smells rotten about
that kind of out come, as for being to busy to look for polls to cast on the
subject yes I am busy playing but PSP'rs aren't all nessasarly doing the
same thing, maybe some were listening to their music or watching a movie and
voting, Both my hand's are busy trying to get through the longest and best
RPG I've ever seen called Legends.

P.S. I've played over 75 RPG's since 1997
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:06:52 AM

> [...]

> unit.
> It should have been released in a cheaper package without the UMD movie
> and
> memory stick. UMD prices ($19 or $29) are too high. The software line-up
> so far is decent, but not spectacular, with games that look nearly as good
> as their PS2 counterparts. Upcoming titles such as Gran Turismo and Grand
> Theft Auto will surely help sales. Battery life is okay, but could be
> better. If your battery dies, you can buy another one. Overall: 9/10
>
> In the end, though, these opinions don't mean much either way. Just as
> final vote tallies matter more than a handful of exit polls, sales data
> will
> tell the story more than a survey of a limited group of people (registered
> CNet users). We'll see how the PSP does this fall after its first

Lol I love fanboys
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:21:11 AM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
>> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>> >
>> >They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the
> systems is
>> >comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
> margin
>> >of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been
> ahead.
>>

>> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
>
> You can't even control your hatred of the DS even when Fred makes a
> neutral post about the two systems.

He's a troll. He doesn't care about anything else.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:22:57 AM

In article <426e867d$0$90589$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
>> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>>>
>>>They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>>>comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
>>>of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>>

>> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
>
>Oh yes, because we all know sales is the end all in gaming!

No but it sure as hell says alot more about public opinion.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:22:58 AM

> No but it sure as hell says alot more about public opinion.

No it doesn't.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:22:59 AM

> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>
> > No but [sales] sure as hell says alot more about public opinion.
>
> No it doesn't.

It doesn't? So a movie which grosses $300 million dollars *isn't* as
well-liked by the public as a movie that grosses only $80 million? How do
you figure that one?

Money talks. I can't think of a better measure of public opinion regarding
a product than actual sales of that product--especially when we are talking
about leisure items which no one *has* to own. No one is going to purchase
an entertainment product they don't want or like. You are starting to sound
like the Xbox fanboys who claimed that the Xbox was more popular with the
public despite the fact that (at the time) the PS2 had sold 20 million+
units and the Xbox had slightly sold less than 8 million.

If you want to account for the difference in price, don't look at the
revenues but just the units sold. If, after Christmas, the PSP has sold 2
million units and the DS has sold 1.5 million (or vice-versa), those sales
figures tell us which is more popular with the public. How can you argue
otherwise?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:26:03 AM

In article <426eacc0$0$90549$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>>> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>>> comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
>>> margin
>>> of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>>>

>>> PSP 7.5
>>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581....
>>>
>>> DS 7.9
>>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-308955...
>>

>> Interesting survey results, but are you really going to trust someone who
>> gives the PSP a 4/10 and says that "NGage is a better choice." Can you
>> trust someone who gives the DS a 9/10, saying it "out performs the PSP in
>> nearly every way... the Audio quality is much better than the PSP. the
>> gamecards are smaller than the PSPs big disks." The DS's audio quality is
>> better than PSP? This is a guy who spells "awesome" with a "u" after
>> all...
>
>Those are a few responses. You can't trust everyone on a survey, but still
>trust the survey. It's called the central limit theorem.

And your called the dipshit theorem.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:26:04 AM

> And your called the dipshit theorem.

lol. Says you, the fool.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:49:06 AM

>> > No but [sales] sure as hell says alot more about public opinion.
>>
>> No it doesn't.
>
> It doesn't? So a movie which grosses $300 million dollars *isn't* as
> well-liked by the public as a movie that grosses only $80 million? How do
> you figure that one?

Children movies make millions. Also, movies cost the same. The PSP costs
twice as much.

> Money talks. I can't think of a better measure of public opinion
> regarding
> a product than actual sales of that product--especially when we are
> talking
> about leisure items which no one *has* to own.

How many copies of the Matrix game were sold? How many of, say, ICO?

> No one is going to purchase an entertainment product they don't want or
> like.

Woa... that's not even close to being a fact. People buy stuff all the time
that they end up not liking. They might have thought otherwise before they
bought it, but they find out afterwards that it wasn't as good as they
thought, etc.

Also, on the other hand, people DON'T buy things that they would like if
they did.

> You are starting to sound
> like the Xbox fanboys who claimed that the Xbox was more popular with the
> public despite the fact that (at the time) the PS2 had sold 20 million+
> units and the Xbox had slightly sold less than 8 million.

Well, isn't that a point where those XBOX fanboys probably didn't have a
PS2, but if they had a PS2, they probably would have liked it.

You're just simply wrong about this one. Sales don't necessarily equal
quality.

> If you want to account for the difference in price, don't look at the
> revenues but just the units sold. If, after Christmas, the PSP has sold 2
> million units and the DS has sold 1.5 million (or vice-versa), those sales
> figures tell us which is more popular with the public. How can you argue
> otherwise?

Probably not because no one was arguing popularity, my friend. It's the
people's opinions. Like I already said sales only show what someone thought
they wanted before they bought it. They may never even play the other
system. They might like the other system, but wouldn't know it. Kind of
like your XBOX example, really.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:06:02 AM

> "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> >> No it doesn't.
> >
> > It doesn't? So a movie which grosses $300 million dollars *isn't* as
> > well-liked by the public as a movie that grosses only $80 million? How
do
> > you figure that one?
>
> Children movies make millions. Also, movies cost the same. The PSP costs
> twice as much.

That's why I suggested looking at unit sales, not revenue.

> > Money talks. I can't think of a better measure of public opinion
> > regarding
> > a product than actual sales of that product--especially when we are
> > talking
> > about leisure items which no one *has* to own.
>
> How many copies of the Matrix game were sold? How many of, say, ICO?

The point being? Matrix was a best-seller. ICO was not. That is a measure
of public opinion as to which is the better game (which I happen to disagree
with, but I am obviously in the minority).

> > No one is going to purchase an entertainment product they don't want or
> > like.
>
> Woa... that's not even close to being a fact. People buy stuff all the
time
> that they end up not liking. They might have thought otherwise before
they
> bought it, but they find out afterwards that it wasn't as good as they
> thought, etc.
>
> Also, on the other hand, people DON'T buy things that they would like if
> they did.
>
> > You are starting to sound
> > like the Xbox fanboys who claimed that the Xbox was more popular with
the
> > public despite the fact that (at the time) the PS2 had sold 20 million+
> > units and the Xbox had slightly sold less than 8 million.
>
> Well, isn't that a point where those XBOX fanboys probably didn't have a
> PS2, but if they had a PS2, they probably would have liked it.
>
> You're just simply wrong about this one. Sales don't necessarily equal
> quality.

Back the truck up! I never said sales=quality. Re-read the posts. You
disagreed with the notion that sales=a good measure of public opinion. JoJo
wrote that sales say a lot about public opinion, and you said that they
don't. If you meant that sales don't say everything about quality, then I
would have agreed with you. Using your example, The Matrix was more popular
than ICO because it outsold it by a wide margin. Was it a better game?
Definitely not.

So, if the PSP ends up selling more units than the DS, it is safe to say
that the public likes it better. If the DS sells more units than the PSP,
then public opinion supports the DS.

> > If you want to account for the difference in price, don't look at the
> > revenues but just the units sold. If, after Christmas, the PSP has sold
2
> > million units and the DS has sold 1.5 million (or vice-versa), those
sales
> > figures tell us which is more popular with the public. How can you
argue
> > otherwise?
>
> Probably not because no one was arguing popularity, my friend. It's the
> people's opinions. Like I already said sales only show what someone
thought
> they wanted before they bought it. They may never even play the other
> system. They might like the other system, but wouldn't know it. Kind of
> like your XBOX example, really.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:54:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in

> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems
> is comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
> margin of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have
> been ahead.
>

> PSP 7.5
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581....
>
> DS 7.9
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-308955...

I know which one I prefer. What others prefer is really of no relevance to
me but I suppose fanboys of one system think it matters.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:54:12 AM

"Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote in message
> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in
>
>> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems
>> is comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
>> margin of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have
>> been ahead.
>>

>> PSP 7.5
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581....
>>
>> DS 7.9
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-308955...
>>

> I know which one I prefer. What others prefer is really of no relevance to
> me but I suppose fanboys of one system think it matters.

What I'm saying is that the numbers show that the user opinions show that
people like them about the same. There is no fanboy traction on this one.
People like them both!
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:18:35 AM

In article <426ec6dd$0$90593$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>> And your called the dipshit theorem.
>
>lol. Says you, the fool.

I'll take fool over dipshit.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:26:41 AM

> "sardu" <robertaccomandonospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>> > "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message

> is
> ahead.

>> > Oh yes, because we all know sales is the end all in gaming!
>> >
>> Hmm, maybe I should go out and buy some Lynx games or Sega Gamegear games
> or
>> TurboExpress games. Or a new NeoGeo pocket game. They are all better
>> than
>> gameboy.
>>
>> Oh wait, they all DIED. =)
>>

> Didn't Nintendo say no more hardware from them after the failing Cube, I
> guess it won't be long now till there completely gone.
>
> As for SONY, I don't see them going any time soon, they make far too many
> various entertainment hardware items and own or control most of everything
> you see or hear by way of movies and music.
>
> Just my two cent's, as for the PSP vs DS comparison, there is none, DS is
> just a kids game unit with the basic games, PSP on the other hand is a
> complete pocket entertainment system for games, movies, music, internet
> access and probably more to come with USB additions, custom software etc,
> much more bang for the buck and looks better doing it all too :)

Pffft. What's wrong with a system being game dedicated? Nothing against the
PSP, but the only media use I'm interested in is watching video files via
memory stick, and for that I'm waiting at least until 1 GB and up sticks are
available on the cheap. iPods are all around more viable for music listening
and movies on UMD are too expensive for a medium that can only be read on
one system.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:27:43 AM

In article <1114556293.251415.243140@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
holleyrp@delanet.com says...

>MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
>> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>> >
>> >They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the
>systems is
>> >comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
>margin
>> >of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been
>ahead.
>>

>> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
>
>You can't even control your hatred of the DS even when Fred makes a
>neutral post about the two systems.

What a goof you have become Robert. There is nothing neutral about Freds post
in here and if you can't understand that then your too far gone. I thought I
already stated my position on the DS but if you missed it then here it is
again. I only hate Nintendo for putting out this new handheld without a analog
controller. After playing Mario on it I couldnt believe they omitted this key
controller for it(I would love to play through Mario again and would be doing
so if the control was right). I could care less if it does well or if it does
this or that but if some goof(Fred) comes in here talking out his ass then I
will call him on it.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:27:44 AM

>>You can't even control your hatred of the DS even when Fred makes a
>>neutral post about the two systems.
>>
> What a goof you have become Robert. There is nothing neutral about Freds
> post
> in here

Yes, you are right. I did say that I expected the PSP would be ahead
because of its multimedia abilities and the slick games it has out.

> and if you can't understand that then your too far gone. I thought I
> already stated my position on the DS but if you missed it then here it is
> again. I only hate Nintendo for putting out this new handheld without a
> analog
> controller.

There's a huge analog controller on there. Even higher res analog input
than the PSP's.

> I could care less if it does well or if it does
> this or that but if some goof(Fred) comes in here talking out his ass then
> will call him on it.

You didn't call me on anything, so let's not get all high and mighty now.
You're a self proclaimed ass who has it out for me. You've already said as
much.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:28:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"sardu" <robertaccomandonospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
>>> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>>> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
>>
>> Oh yes, because we all know sales is the end all in gaming!
>>
> Hmm, maybe I should go out and buy some Lynx games or Sega Gamegear games
> or TurboExpress games. Or a new NeoGeo pocket game. They are all better
> than gameboy.
>
> Oh wait, they all DIED. =)

Never owned one, but from what I heard, the NGPC was a damn good system, and
many of the games that showed up on the TurboExpress, and mainly, the
TG16/PCE were quite excellent.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:35:30 AM

"mganai" <lecter414@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "sardu" <robertaccomandonospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message

>> is
>> ahead.

>>> Hmm, maybe I should go out and buy some Lynx games or Sega Gamegear
>>> games
>> or
>>> TurboExpress games. Or a new NeoGeo pocket game. They are all better
>>> than
>>> gameboy.
>>>
>>> Oh wait, they all DIED. =)
>>>

>> Didn't Nintendo say no more hardware from them after the failing Cube, I
>> guess it won't be long now till there completely gone.
>>
>> As for SONY, I don't see them going any time soon, they make far too many
>> various entertainment hardware items and own or control most of
>> everything
>> you see or hear by way of movies and music.
>>
>> Just my two cent's, as for the PSP vs DS comparison, there is none, DS is
>> just a kids game unit with the basic games, PSP on the other hand is a
>> complete pocket entertainment system for games, movies, music, internet
>> access and probably more to come with USB additions, custom software etc,
>> much more bang for the buck and looks better doing it all too :)
>>

> Pffft. What's wrong with a system being game dedicated? Nothing against
> the PSP, but the only media use I'm interested in is watching video files
> via memory stick, and for that I'm waiting at least until 1 GB and up
> sticks are available on the cheap. iPods are all around more viable for
> music listening and movies on UMD are too expensive for a medium that can
> only be read on one system.

everyone seems to forget, GBA/DS plays MP3's, video and shows jpgs. You just
need a Supercard/CF card. So for about $100 more, it can play the same media
as the PSP.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:35:31 AM

> everyone seems to forget, GBA/DS plays MP3's, video and shows jpgs. You
> just need a Supercard/CF card. So for about $100 more, it can play the
> same media as the PSP.

When you get down to it, the DS in that respect is better because you can
use microdrives as well. But, really, unless the thing is capable out of
the box, or has an actual mass retail distribution, it doesn't count to the
averages.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:50:04 AM

Fred Liken wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
> >> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> >> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

> > systems is
> > margin
> > ahead.
> >>

> >> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
> >
> > You can't even control your hatred of the DS even when Fred makes a
> > neutral post about the two systems.
>
> He's a troll. He doesn't care about anything else.

That's starting to become apparent.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:12:43 AM

Android wrote:

> If I could add my opinions:
>
> The DS's touch screen is an interesting gimmick for those few games that
> bother to use it. The design is good, as the closed lid shields the screen.
> The software line-up is seriously lacking, and even when you find a good
> game such as Ridge Racer or Mario, the graphics aren't any better than the
> N64. With Nintendo's library, the system could have a decent future once
> they release Metroid, Animal Crossing, and other franchises It's $100
> cheaper, but you can't play videos, MP3's, or store/view photos and there is
> no USB port or memory stick port. The sound is poor, and the little volume
> switch makes it hard to get a decent sound level. . If your battery ever
> dies, you can't open the unit to replace it. Overall: 7/10

The touch has been used in all games I've seen on the DS so far.

The good software is on the way (e.g., Katamari Damacy, a PS2 game). In
fact I've got three on order. I'd order more, but I'd have to pay import
tax.

You can buy an adapter to play movies and music. Maybe not up to PSP
quality, but it works.

DS sound is an improvement on GBA SP sound.

You _can_ open the unit to replace the battery. There's even a larger
capacity battery for sale.
April 27, 2005 2:25:18 PM

> The point being? Matrix was a best-seller. ICO was not. That is a
> measure
> of public opinion as to which is the better game (which I happen to
> disagree
> with, but I am obviously in the minority).

Nah its just a measure of how many were sold. It matters not whether they
were liked or not.
You can only gauge public opinion on which was the better game from people
who have played both, otherwise it is impossible for them to have an
opinion.
You could argue that more people felt the Matrix game appealing and
preferred that genre rather than the artsy Ico, but it will never be a gauge
of which was better, only which *sold* better.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:29:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

>> How many copies of the Matrix game were sold? How many of, say, ICO?
>
> The point being? Matrix was a best-seller. ICO was not. That is a
> measure
> of public opinion as to which is the better game (which I happen to
> disagree
> with, but I am obviously in the minority).

No, that's what game people bought more of. Just because someone never
heard of ICO doesn't mean that they wouldn't have had a high opinion of it
if they bought it. And, just because someone bought Matrix hardly means
they thought it was a good game.

It's quite simple. Sales can't measure user opinions.

>> You're just simply wrong about this one. Sales don't necessarily equal
>> quality.
>
> Back the truck up! I never said sales=quality. Re-read the posts.

Read the title.

> You
> disagreed with the notion that sales=a good measure of public opinion.
> JoJo
> wrote that sales say a lot about public opinion, and you said that they
> don't.

No, he never said public opinion. That was your misunderstanding. Read the
title. It doesn't say public opinion.

> If you meant that sales don't say everything about quality, then I
> would have agreed with you.

Read the title.

I see. This is all a misunderstanding.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:25:07 PM

Android wrote:
> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

>>>It doesn't? So a movie which grosses $300 million dollars *isn't* as
>>>well-liked by the public as a movie that grosses only $80 million? How
>>
> do
>
>>>you figure that one?
>>
>>Children movies make millions. Also, movies cost the same. The PSP costs
>>twice as much.
>

> That's why I suggested looking at unit sales, not revenue.
>

>>>Money talks. I can't think of a better measure of public opinion
>>>regarding
>>>a product than actual sales of that product--especially when we are
>>>talking
>>>about leisure items which no one *has* to own.
>>
>>How many copies of the Matrix game were sold? How many of, say, ICO?
>

> The point being? Matrix was a best-seller. ICO was not. That is a measure
> of public opinion as to which is the better game (which I happen to disagree
> with, but I am obviously in the minority).

That example is not even a fair one. In that case it boils down to name
recognition (the Matrix) and failure to properly promote (Ico) a more
than worthy game. Ico got overlooked due to that, though many did catch
it later on after an extended period of praise from gamers and those in
the industry constantly doing so. Not a fair example at all really...

>>>No one is going to purchase an entertainment product they don't want or
>>>like.
>>
>>Woa... that's not even close to being a fact. People buy stuff all the
>
> time
>
>>that they end up not liking. They might have thought otherwise before
>
> they
>
>>bought it, but they find out afterwards that it wasn't as good as they
>>thought, etc.
>>
>>Also, on the other hand, people DON'T buy things that they would like if
>>they did.
>>

>>>You are starting to sound
>>>like the Xbox fanboys who claimed that the Xbox was more popular with
>>
> the
>
>>>public despite the fact that (at the time) the PS2 had sold 20 million+
>>>units and the Xbox had slightly sold less than 8 million.
>>
>>Well, isn't that a point where those XBOX fanboys probably didn't have a
>>PS2, but if they had a PS2, they probably would have liked it.
>>
>>You're just simply wrong about this one. Sales don't necessarily equal
>>quality.
>

> Back the truck up! I never said sales=quality. Re-read the posts. You
> disagreed with the notion that sales=a good measure of public opinion. JoJo
> wrote that sales say a lot about public opinion, and you said that they
> don't. If you meant that sales don't say everything about quality, then I
> would have agreed with you. Using your example, The Matrix was more popular
> than ICO because it outsold it by a wide margin. Was it a better game?
> Definitely not.
>
> So, if the PSP ends up selling more units than the DS, it is safe to say
> that the public likes it better. If the DS sells more units than the PSP,
> then public opinion supports the DS.
>

>>>If you want to account for the difference in price, don't look at the
>>>revenues but just the units sold. If, after Christmas, the PSP has sold
>>
> 2
>
>>>million units and the DS has sold 1.5 million (or vice-versa), those
>>
> sales
>
>>>figures tell us which is more popular with the public. How can you
>>
> argue
>
>>>otherwise?
>>
>>Probably not because no one was arguing popularity, my friend. It's the
>>people's opinions. Like I already said sales only show what someone
>
> thought
>
>>they wanted before they bought it. They may never even play the other
>>system. They might like the other system, but wouldn't know it. Kind of
>>like your XBOX example, really.

April 27, 2005 3:35:58 PM

Fred Liken wrote:

> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
> comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
> of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>
> PSP 7.5
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581....
>
> DS 7.9
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-308955...

That's not really a valid comparison. It would be like polling a group
of Ferrari owners to rate their cars and getting a 7.5

Then polling a group of Volkswagen users to rate their cars and getting
a 7.9,
then saying that "Its close, but VWs are better than Ferraris".
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:06:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

> When you get down to it, the DS in that respect is better because you can
> use microdrives as well. But, really, unless the thing is capable out of
> the box, or has an actual mass retail distribution, it doesn't count to
the
> averages.

Well.. the screen on PSP is far superior.

..Jarle
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:06:39 PM

"Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> wrote in
message news:426f63df$1@news.broadpark.no...

>> When you get down to it, the DS in that respect is better because you can
>> use microdrives as well. But, really, unless the thing is capable out of
>> the box, or has an actual mass retail distribution, it doesn't count to
> the
>> averages.
>
> Well.. the screen on PSP is far superior.

Superior, but seeing as they're both around the same vertical res, I
wouldn't say far.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:00:06 PM

"Cougar" <cougre@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> That's not really a valid comparison. It would be like polling a group
> of Ferrari owners to rate their cars and getting a 7.5
>
> Then polling a group of Volkswagen users to rate their cars and getting
> a 7.9,
> then saying that "Its close, but VWs are better than Ferraris".

Um, no, it'd be like Volkswagens to Toyotas.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:58:16 PM

In article <1114602604.437229.103060@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
holleyrp@delanet.com says...

>Fred Liken wrote:
>> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

>> > systems is
>the
>> > margin
>been
>> > ahead.

>> > You can't even control your hatred of the DS even when Fred makes a
>> > neutral post about the two systems.
>>
>> He's a troll. He doesn't care about anything else.
>
>That's starting to become apparent.

LOL!!! I always thought in the end you were level headed Robert but you've
just proved me wrong. You two need to look up what a troll does and then take
a long hard look in the mirror.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:22:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

No, comparing the DS to a PSP is more like Ferrari to a Volkswagon.

RnR Lesnar

> "Cougar" <cougre@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> That's not really a valid comparison. It would be like polling a group
>> of Ferrari owners to rate their cars and getting a 7.5
>>
>> Then polling a group of Volkswagen users to rate their cars and getting
>> a 7.9,
>> then saying that "Its close, but VWs are better than Ferraris".
>
> Um, no, it'd be like Volkswagens to Toyotas.

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:22:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"mganai" <lecter414@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "sardu" <robertaccomandonospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message

> > is
> > ahead.

> >> Hmm, maybe I should go out and buy some Lynx games or Sega Gamegear
games
> > or
> >> TurboExpress games. Or a new NeoGeo pocket game. They are all better
> >> than
> >> gameboy.
> >>
> >> Oh wait, they all DIED. =)
> >>

> > Didn't Nintendo say no more hardware from them after the failing Cube, I
> > guess it won't be long now till there completely gone.
> >
> > As for SONY, I don't see them going any time soon, they make far too
many
> > various entertainment hardware items and own or control most of
everything
> > you see or hear by way of movies and music.
> >
> > Just my two cent's, as for the PSP vs DS comparison, there is none, DS
is
> > just a kids game unit with the basic games, PSP on the other hand is a
> > complete pocket entertainment system for games, movies, music, internet
> > access and probably more to come with USB additions, custom software
etc,
> > much more bang for the buck and looks better doing it all too :)
> >

> Pffft. What's wrong with a system being game dedicated? Nothing against
the
> PSP, but the only media use I'm interested in is watching video files via
> memory stick, and for that I'm waiting at least until 1 GB and up sticks
are
> available on the cheap. iPods are all around more viable for music
listening
> and movies on UMD are too expensive for a medium that can only be read on
> one system.

Nothing wrong with it and or the DS if that's what you want.
I watch favorite flicks on my 512k card, works fine.
I'm waiting for the 10GB and up but that doesn't stop me from
buying what's availible now.
iPods are all around more viable for music listen only, if that's all you
want.
Anyone that can dish out for PSP and games can affored to collect a favorite
collection of their movies on UMD, it's a great format especially with the
finger
guard covers over the CD's, I'll keep buying no problem.
As for being only on one system, you really think SONY is going to stop at
the PSP
with the UMD format, I seriously doubt it.
Anyway what ever you like or don't like is fine, I'm happy with my PSP
period.
:)
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:24:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> wrote in
message news:426f63df$1@news.broadpark.no...

> > When you get down to it, the DS in that respect is better because you
can
> > use microdrives as well. But, really, unless the thing is capable out
of
> > the box, or has an actual mass retail distribution, it doesn't count to
> the
> > averages.
>
> Well.. the screen on PSP is far superior.
>
> .Jarle

Looking at them side by side, absolutely no doubt, perfect pocket size
screen.
Not too small and not too bulky.
PSP is like short for Perfect SONY Picture in my mind.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:28:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> > "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> >
> > > No but [sales] sure as hell says alot more about public opinion.
> >
> > No it doesn't.
>
> It doesn't? So a movie which grosses $300 million dollars *isn't* as
> well-liked by the public as a movie that grosses only $80 million? How do
> you figure that one?
>
> Money talks. I can't think of a better measure of public opinion
regarding
> a product than actual sales of that product--especially when we are
talking
> about leisure items which no one *has* to own. No one is going to
purchase
> an entertainment product they don't want or like. You are starting to
sound
> like the Xbox fanboys who claimed that the Xbox was more popular with the
> public despite the fact that (at the time) the PS2 had sold 20 million+
> units and the Xbox had slightly sold less than 8 million.
>
> If you want to account for the difference in price, don't look at the
> revenues but just the units sold. If, after Christmas, the PSP has sold 2
> million units and the DS has sold 1.5 million (or vice-versa), those sales
> figures tell us which is more popular with the public. How can you argue
> otherwise?

Nope, all I can say to that is there will probably be a lot of un-happy kids
at Christmas this year, asking Santa for a PSP and finding a GBA or DS in
their stockings, because ma or pa figured what the hecks the differance and
opted out for the lower price.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:43:07 PM

"RnR Lesnar" <rnrnospamcartman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 4pabj$8sq$1@news.datasync.com...

> No, comparing the DS to a PSP is more like Ferrari to a Volkswagon.

Have you ever driven a Ferrari? The analogy is simply fanboy nonsense.
Maybe a c230... MAYBE
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:35:24 AM

> "RnR Lesnar" <rnrnospamcartman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 4pabj$8sq$1@news.datasync.com...
>
>> No, comparing the DS to a PSP is more like Ferrari to a Volkswagon.
>
> Have you ever driven a Ferrari? The analogy is simply fanboy nonsense.
> Maybe a c230... MAYBE

Have you taken your training wheels off yet?

RnR Lesnar
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:56:52 AM

In article <426fdc86$0$73655$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>Playstation 2, my retarded friend.

Have you ever stopped to notice all the PSP post in here? Have you ever
wondered why? Do you think it might be because its Playstation related? Stop,
think and listen and you just might learn something.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:56:53 AM

news:o 0Tbe.34$F33.2@fed1read04...

>>Playstation 2, my retarded friend.
>
> Have you ever stopped to notice all the PSP post in here?

Yep. I notice a lot of DS posts as well. Porn posts a few days ago as
well. Jesus posts too!

> Have you ever wondered why?

Because it's Usenet, you silly retard. :)
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:56:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o 0Tbe.34$F33.2@fed1read04...
> In article <426fdc86$0$73655$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
> >
> >Playstation 2, my retarded friend.
>
> Have you ever stopped to notice all the PSP post in here?

Have any of you ever stopped to notice the crossposting?
why not snip the headers and leave only the group you are posting from?
!