PSP vs DS, user opinions are in.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.

PSP 7.5
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581.html?tag=uolst

DS 7.9
http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-30895578.html?tag=uolst

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
> comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
> of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>

> PSP 7.5
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581.html?tag=uolst
>
> DS 7.9
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-30895578.html?tag=uolst

Interesting survey results, but are you really going to trust someone who
gives the PSP a 4/10 and says that "NGage is a better choice." Can you
trust someone who gives the DS a 9/10, saying it "out performs the PSP in
nearly every way... the Audio quality is much better than the PSP. the
gamecards are smaller than the PSPs big disks." The DS's audio quality is
better than PSP? This is a guy who spells "awesome" with a "u" after all...

If I could add my opinions:

The DS's touch screen is an interesting gimmick for those few games that
bother to use it. The design is good, as the closed lid shields the screen.
The software line-up is seriously lacking, and even when you find a good
game such as Ridge Racer or Mario, the graphics aren't any better than the
N64. With Nintendo's library, the system could have a decent future once
they release Metroid, Animal Crossing, and other franchises It's $100
cheaper, but you can't play videos, MP3's, or store/view photos and there is
no USB port or memory stick port. The sound is poor, and the little volume
switch makes it hard to get a decent sound level. . If your battery ever
dies, you can't open the unit to replace it. Overall: 7/10

The PSP's screen is amazingly beautiful, with or without pixel problems, and
it has a variety of uses (music, movies, photos, games). Wireless Internet
play is great. It needs a screen cover for protection and smudges easily.
There are more moving parts, and hence more opportunities to break the unit.
It should have been released in a cheaper package without the UMD movie and
memory stick. UMD prices ($19 or $29) are too high. The software line-up
so far is decent, but not spectacular, with games that look nearly as good
as their PS2 counterparts. Upcoming titles such as Gran Turismo and Grand
Theft Auto will surely help sales. Battery life is okay, but could be
better. If your battery dies, you can buy another one. Overall: 9/10

In the end, though, these opinions don't mean much either way. Just as
final vote tallies matter more than a handful of exit polls, sales data will
tell the story more than a survey of a limited group of people (registered
CNet users). We'll see how the PSP does this fall after its first Christmas
season.

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
> >
> >They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the
systems is
> >comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
margin
> >of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been
ahead.

> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.

You can't even control your hatred of the DS even when Fred makes a
neutral post about the two systems.

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>> comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
>> margin
>> of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>>

>> PSP 7.5
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581.html?tag=uolst
>>
>> DS 7.9
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-30895578.html?tag=uolst
>

> Interesting survey results, but are you really going to trust someone who
> gives the PSP a 4/10 and says that "NGage is a better choice." Can you
> trust someone who gives the DS a 9/10, saying it "out performs the PSP in
> nearly every way... the Audio quality is much better than the PSP. the
> gamecards are smaller than the PSPs big disks." The DS's audio quality is
> better than PSP? This is a guy who spells "awesome" with a "u" after
> all...

Those are a few responses. You can't trust everyone on a survey, but still
trust the survey. It's called the central limit theorem.

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>>
>>They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>>comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
>>of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>

> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.

Oh yes, because we all know sales is the end all in gaming!

> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
>> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>>>
>>>They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>>>comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
>>>margin
>>>of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>>

>> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
>
> Oh yes, because we all know sales is the end all in gaming!

Hmm, maybe I should go out and buy some Lynx games or Sega Gamegear games or
TurboExpress games. Or a new NeoGeo pocket game. They are all better than
gameboy.

Oh wait, they all DIED. =)

"sardu" <robertaccomandonospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> > "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> >> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> >> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

> >> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
> >
> > Oh yes, because we all know sales is the end all in gaming!
> >
> Hmm, maybe I should go out and buy some Lynx games or Sega Gamegear games
or
> TurboExpress games. Or a new NeoGeo pocket game. They are all better than
> gameboy.
>
> Oh wait, they all DIED. =)

Didn't Nintendo say no more hardware from them after the failing Cube, I
guess it won't be long now till there completely gone.

As for SONY, I don't see them going any time soon, they make far too many
various entertainment hardware items and own or control most of everything
you see or hear by way of movies and music.

Just my two cent's, as for the PSP vs DS comparison, there is none, DS is
just a kids game unit with the basic games, PSP on the other hand is a
complete pocket entertainment system for games, movies, music, internet
access and probably more to come with USB additions, custom software etc,
much more bang for the buck and looks better doing it all too :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
> comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
> of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>

> PSP 7.5
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581.html?tag=uolst
>
> DS 7.9
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-30895578.html?tag=uolst

PSP had almost 300+ more users vote too.

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> > They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems
is
> > comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
margin
> > of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been
ahead.

> > PSP 7.5
> > http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581.html?tag=uolst
> >
> > DS 7.9
> > http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-30895578.html?tag=uolst
> >
> PSP had almost 300+ more users vote too.

I didn't see any vote but then I wasn't looking to prove what I've got was
better by means of voting, I was too busy using my PSP for such kiddy
event's.

"Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message

>> PSP had almost 300+ more users vote too.
>
> I didn't see any vote but then I wasn't looking to prove what I've got was
> better by means of voting, I was too busy using my PSP for such kiddy
> event's.

So, by your logic, you're saying that the PSP users much not be having much
fun with their PSP's since they voted more? Or, were you just talking
smack?

Android wrote:
> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>
>>They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>>comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
>>of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>>

>>PSP 7.5
>>http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581.html?tag=uolst
>>
>>DS 7.9
>>http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-30895578.html?tag=uolst
>

> Interesting survey results, but are you really going to trust someone who
> gives the PSP a 4/10 and says that "NGage is a better choice." Can you
> trust someone who gives the DS a 9/10, saying it "out performs the PSP in
> nearly every way... the Audio quality is much better than the PSP. the
> gamecards are smaller than the PSPs big disks." The DS's audio quality is
> better than PSP? This is a guy who spells "awesome" with a "u" after all...

I would agree...that little poll/survey is not what I would really count
as being accurate by any means.

> "Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message
>
> >> PSP had almost 300+ more users vote too.
> >
> > I didn't see any vote but then I wasn't looking to prove what I've got
was
> > better by means of voting, I was too busy using my PSP for such kiddy
> > event's.
>
> So, by your logic, you're saying that the PSP users much not be having
much
> fun with their PSP's since they voted more? Or, were you just talking
> smack?

I don't get the logic excuse my ignorance but if PSP had 300 + more voter's
how is it the DS came out with a better score, something smells rotten about
that kind of out come, as for being to busy to look for polls to cast on the
subject yes I am busy playing but PSP'rs aren't all nessasarly doing the
same thing, maybe some were listening to their music or watching a movie and
voting, Both my hand's are busy trying to get through the longest and best
RPG I've ever seen called Legends.

P.S. I've played over 75 RPG's since 1997

> [...]

> unit.
> It should have been released in a cheaper package without the UMD movie
> and
> memory stick. UMD prices ($19 or $29) are too high. The software line-up
> so far is decent, but not spectacular, with games that look nearly as good
> as their PS2 counterparts. Upcoming titles such as Gran Turismo and Grand
> Theft Auto will surely help sales. Battery life is okay, but could be
> better. If your battery dies, you can buy another one. Overall: 9/10
>
> In the end, though, these opinions don't mean much either way. Just as
> final vote tallies matter more than a handful of exit polls, sales data
> will
> tell the story more than a survey of a limited group of people (registered
> CNet users). We'll see how the PSP does this fall after its first

Lol I love fanboys

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
>> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>> >
>> >They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the
> systems is
>> >comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
> margin
>> >of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been
> ahead.
>>

>> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
>
> You can't even control your hatred of the DS even when Fred makes a
> neutral post about the two systems.

He's a troll. He doesn't care about anything else.

In article <426e867d$0$90589$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>> In article <426e802d$0$90542$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
>> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>>>
>>>They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>>>comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the margin
>>>of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>>

>> Don't worry! It will be far ahead in the sales department.
>
>Oh yes, because we all know sales is the end all in gaming!

No but it sure as hell says alot more about public opinion.

> No but it sure as hell says alot more about public opinion.

No it doesn't.

> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>
> > No but [sales] sure as hell says alot more about public opinion.
>
> No it doesn't.

It doesn't? So a movie which grosses $300 million dollars *isn't* as
well-liked by the public as a movie that grosses only $80 million? How do
you figure that one?

Money talks. I can't think of a better measure of public opinion regarding
a product than actual sales of that product--especially when we are talking
about leisure items which no one *has* to own. No one is going to purchase
an entertainment product they don't want or like. You are starting to sound
like the Xbox fanboys who claimed that the Xbox was more popular with the
public despite the fact that (at the time) the PS2 had sold 20 million+
units and the Xbox had slightly sold less than 8 million.

If you want to account for the difference in price, don't look at the
revenues but just the units sold. If, after Christmas, the PSP has sold 2
million units and the DS has sold 1.5 million (or vice-versa), those sales
figures tell us which is more popular with the public. How can you argue
otherwise?

In article <426eacc0$0$90549$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>>> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems is
>>> comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
>>> margin
>>> of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have been ahead.
>>>

>>> PSP 7.5
>>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581.html?tag=uolst
>>>
>>> DS 7.9
>>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-30895578.html?tag=uolst
>>

>> Interesting survey results, but are you really going to trust someone who
>> gives the PSP a 4/10 and says that "NGage is a better choice." Can you
>> trust someone who gives the DS a 9/10, saying it "out performs the PSP in
>> nearly every way... the Audio quality is much better than the PSP. the
>> gamecards are smaller than the PSPs big disks." The DS's audio quality is
>> better than PSP? This is a guy who spells "awesome" with a "u" after
>> all...
>
>Those are a few responses. You can't trust everyone on a survey, but still
>trust the survey. It's called the central limit theorem.

And your called the dipshit theorem.

> And your called the dipshit theorem.

lol. Says you, the fool.

>> > No but [sales] sure as hell says alot more about public opinion.
>>
>> No it doesn't.
>
> It doesn't? So a movie which grosses $300 million dollars *isn't* as
> well-liked by the public as a movie that grosses only $80 million? How do
> you figure that one?

Children movies make millions. Also, movies cost the same. The PSP costs
twice as much.

> Money talks. I can't think of a better measure of public opinion
> regarding
> a product than actual sales of that product--especially when we are
> talking
> about leisure items which no one *has* to own.

How many copies of the Matrix game were sold? How many of, say, ICO?

> No one is going to purchase an entertainment product they don't want or
> like.

Woa... that's not even close to being a fact. People buy stuff all the time
that they end up not liking. They might have thought otherwise before they
bought it, but they find out afterwards that it wasn't as good as they
thought, etc.

Also, on the other hand, people DON'T buy things that they would like if
they did.

> You are starting to sound
> like the Xbox fanboys who claimed that the Xbox was more popular with the
> public despite the fact that (at the time) the PS2 had sold 20 million+
> units and the Xbox had slightly sold less than 8 million.

Well, isn't that a point where those XBOX fanboys probably didn't have a
PS2, but if they had a PS2, they probably would have liked it.

You're just simply wrong about this one. Sales don't necessarily equal
quality.

> If you want to account for the difference in price, don't look at the
> revenues but just the units sold. If, after Christmas, the PSP has sold 2
> million units and the DS has sold 1.5 million (or vice-versa), those sales
> figures tell us which is more popular with the public. How can you argue
> otherwise?

Probably not because no one was arguing popularity, my friend. It's the
people's opinions. Like I already said sales only show what someone thought
they wanted before they bought it. They may never even play the other
system. They might like the other system, but wouldn't know it. Kind of
like your XBOX example, really.

> "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> >> No it doesn't.
> >
> > It doesn't? So a movie which grosses $300 million dollars *isn't* as
> > well-liked by the public as a movie that grosses only $80 million? How
do
> > you figure that one?
>
> Children movies make millions. Also, movies cost the same. The PSP costs
> twice as much.

That's why I suggested looking at unit sales, not revenue.

> > Money talks. I can't think of a better measure of public opinion
> > regarding
> > a product than actual sales of that product--especially when we are
> > talking
> > about leisure items which no one *has* to own.
>
> How many copies of the Matrix game were sold? How many of, say, ICO?

The point being? Matrix was a best-seller. ICO was not. That is a measure
of public opinion as to which is the better game (which I happen to disagree
with, but I am obviously in the minority).

> > No one is going to purchase an entertainment product they don't want or
> > like.
>
> Woa... that's not even close to being a fact. People buy stuff all the
time
> that they end up not liking. They might have thought otherwise before
they
> bought it, but they find out afterwards that it wasn't as good as they
> thought, etc.
>
> Also, on the other hand, people DON'T buy things that they would like if
> they did.
>
> > You are starting to sound
> > like the Xbox fanboys who claimed that the Xbox was more popular with
the
> > public despite the fact that (at the time) the PS2 had sold 20 million+
> > units and the Xbox had slightly sold less than 8 million.
>
> Well, isn't that a point where those XBOX fanboys probably didn't have a
> PS2, but if they had a PS2, they probably would have liked it.
>
> You're just simply wrong about this one. Sales don't necessarily equal
> quality.

Back the truck up! I never said sales=quality. Re-read the posts. You
disagreed with the notion that sales=a good measure of public opinion. JoJo
wrote that sales say a lot about public opinion, and you said that they
don't. If you meant that sales don't say everything about quality, then I
would have agreed with you. Using your example, The Matrix was more popular
than ICO because it outsold it by a wide margin. Was it a better game?
Definitely not.

So, if the PSP ends up selling more units than the DS, it is safe to say
that the public likes it better. If the DS sells more units than the PSP,
then public opinion supports the DS.

> > If you want to account for the difference in price, don't look at the
> > revenues but just the units sold. If, after Christmas, the PSP has sold
2
> > million units and the DS has sold 1.5 million (or vice-versa), those
sales
> > figures tell us which is more popular with the public. How can you
argue
> > otherwise?
>
> Probably not because no one was arguing popularity, my friend. It's the
> people's opinions. Like I already said sales only show what someone
thought
> they wanted before they bought it. They may never even play the other
> system. They might like the other system, but wouldn't know it. Kind of
> like your XBOX example, really.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in

> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems
> is comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
> margin of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have
> been ahead.
>

> PSP 7.5
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581.html?tag=uolst
>
> DS 7.9
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-30895578.html?tag=uols

I know which one I prefer. What others prefer is really of no relevance to
me but I suppose fanboys of one system think it matters.

"Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote in message
> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in
>
>> They're almost the same. Looks like the public opinion of the systems
>> is comparable. The DS advantage is negligible and probably within the
>> margin of error. Personally, I would have though the PSP would have
>> been ahead.
>>

>> PSP 7.5
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PSP/4852-10109_7-30895581.html?tag=uolst
>>
>> DS 7.9
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_DS/4852-10109_7-30895578.html?tag=uols
>>

> I know which one I prefer. What others prefer is really of no relevance to
> me but I suppose fanboys of one system think it matters.

What I'm saying is that the numbers show that the user opinions show that
people like them about the same. There is no fanboy traction on this one.
People like them both!

In article <426ec6dd$0$90593$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message