Will this custom built cpu Bottleneck?

liquidmatter

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Hello, I am having a custom computer built and I've been doing some research... and I seem a bit skeptical on how well the processor will work if the extra cores aren't unlocked with the graphics card,[mainly will be playing WoW on it] BUT I will be listening to music,streaming YouTube etc. in the background as well, I know WoW utilizes not even 3 cores. I'm wondering if it will bottleneck or not if running more then my game.

here is my my computer's specs.

ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard

AMD Phenom II x2 BE 560 ,80W, AM3 ,7 MB Cache, 3300 MHz

G.Skill ripjaws Series 4GB (2x2) 240Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600(PC3 12800)

Windows 7 64 bit

seagate 500 GB hard Drive 7200.12

Geforce 560 TI GTX 1GB Video Card

700 watt power supply Corsair

and on a side question... I've been reading that if the extra cores are unlocked this will heat up my CPU... and i will need to buy better fan? so why not just pay the extra 20 bucks for the Phenom II x4 950 sorry if I'm missing something here I'm very new to all this and its a 3 day weekend can't talk to the guy building it. Any helpful input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!! :hello:

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
the idea behind the unlocking is getting a quad for the price of a dual, and bragging rights. spending the money for a sure thing is up to you.

i dont think your cpu will bottle neck it, and if it does it couldnt be that bad. however if you think it is, run some benches and record an average score, then oc your cpu and run em again. if you get hight benches, then i am a big lier.

There is only a $29 difference between the 560 and the 955, back when there was a $60 difference then it made a lot more sense to try to unlock it, but unlocking is only about 20-40% effective so you have pretty good chances of being stuck with a dual core.

Either way, the 560 wont bottleneck the 560 too much(thats weird to type), it will a little depending on the game, when you are in highly populated areas of WoW it becomes more CPU intensive so OCing would help then.

I would say you need a good quad core to maximize the capabilites of a high end card like the GTX560ti.If all your doing is WoW and Internet/Music then i guess all you need is a dual core.But I do agree with hunter315,the 955 quad core is only $30 more and it's well worth it.

My advise to you is to get a good CPU Cooler and O.C. your processor.You should easily hit 4.0ghz+,with very little voltage, and that should really give a nice boost.

What resoultion is the monitor your going to use?

liquidmatter

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
thanks for all the helpful input!!, phenom x ii x4 950 it is then!:) It doesn't seem worth putting the extra power strain on my computer if unlocked, and its really a gamble like I've been reading so much about. the extra 30 seems very worth it

1024 x768 resolution I'll be playing in game

It's the Phenom ii x4 955,their is no 950.

At 1024x769 you are defnitly going to need a very fast quad core.Thats all CPU power at that resoultion.I would suggest getting a lower GPU than the GTX560ti because a GTX560ti is waaay overkill fro that resoultion.

liquidmatter

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011

So basically your saying.... I'm going to need a better CPU for that resolution BUT the graphics card is too good for it? sorry i'm new to this so please bare with my unknowing about all this lol I jsut don't understand... if upgraded to a quad core it still wouldn't be good enough with the graphics card???

When your at such a low resoultion the graphics are rendred from the CPU more than the GPU.When is why when you make the resoultion smaller you get more FPS.If you got the GTX560ti and stay at that resoultion you could max out games for the next 5 years.