State of Gamecube in Australia?

Last response: in Video Games
April 27, 2005 12:53:53 PM

My g/f bought me a GC on the weekend. Generally I'm not really that
interested in current-generation consoles - strictly retro, but especially
Nintendo. I was interested in getting a GC more for homebrew development atm
than playing games...

However I'll probably pick up a few of the 'best' to muck about with
occasionally. As I said, only a passing interest in current generation so I
haven't really taken much notice of what's out there until this week.

What I have seen so far would be, I would think, quite distressing for
Australian owners of the GC. EB, for example, has wall-to-wall PS2 and Xbox
games. Their sales tables have hundreds of these games as well. I had to
walk to the back of the store to find a handful of GC games tucked in
between the GBA and anime DVDs. And they were *expensive*!

The situation in the department stores isn't much better. Again, entire
shelves devoted to PS2 & Xbox. Promotional material for the games,
accessories and the consoles themselves. A locked glass cabinet showcased
some of the newer games and controllers, etc.

The GC? Again, not much more than a handful of games, arranged haphazardly
on a half-empty shelf, not a single price tag on *any* game or shelf (and
this in itself *really* pisses me off!). I couldn't find *anything* to even
suggest they sold the console itself! Simply sad.

Visited the local Video Ezy as well - was shocked to find that they don't
even carry GC games at all! Hundreds of PS2, Xbox - ZERO GC. And it was only
recently that they dumped their N64 range. I can't recall if they ever
stocked GC..

So WTF is happening here? Surely this can't be represetative of the rest of
the world - or Nintendo would've pulled the plug long ago?!? (BTW my g/f
paid AUD$90 which almost suggests that Target are dumping the GC!?!) What do
other Aussie's think, or have I wandered into the only 4 or 5 stores that
neglect the GC? What about the rest of the world??? Japan?

In any case, personally I'm not that fussed about it - but it is a bit sad
to see the decline of another great console (I also own a DC). Personally I
don't think Nintendo did enough to shake the perception that their consoles
are for kiddies that the N64 brought on (and a purple cube didn't help!).

Regards,

--
| Mark McDougall | "Electrical Engineers do it
| <http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug&gt; | with less resistance!"
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:53:54 PM

Mark McDougall wrote:
> My g/f bought me a GC on the weekend. Generally I'm not really that
> interested in current-generation consoles - strictly retro, but
> especially Nintendo. I was interested in getting a GC more for
> homebrew development atm than playing games...
>
> However I'll probably pick up a few of the 'best' to muck about with
> occasionally. As I said, only a passing interest in current
> generation so I haven't really taken much notice of what's out there
> until this week.
>
> What I have seen so far would be, I would think, quite distressing for
> Australian owners of the GC. EB, for example, has wall-to-wall PS2
> and Xbox games. Their sales tables have hundreds of these games as
> well. I had to walk to the back of the store to find a handful of GC
> games tucked in between the GBA and anime DVDs. And they were
> *expensive*!
>
> The situation in the department stores isn't much better. Again,
> entire shelves devoted to PS2 & Xbox. Promotional material for the
> games, accessories and the consoles themselves. A locked glass
> cabinet showcased some of the newer games and controllers, etc.
>
> The GC? Again, not much more than a handful of games, arranged
> haphazardly on a half-empty shelf, not a single price tag on *any*
> game or shelf (and this in itself *really* pisses me off!). I
> couldn't find *anything* to even suggest they sold the console
> itself! Simply sad.
>
> Visited the local Video Ezy as well - was shocked to find that they
> don't even carry GC games at all! Hundreds of PS2, Xbox - ZERO GC.
> And it was only recently that they dumped their N64 range. I can't
> recall if they ever stocked GC..
>
> So WTF is happening here? Surely this can't be represetative of the
> rest of the world - or Nintendo would've pulled the plug long ago?!?
> (BTW my g/f paid AUD$90 which almost suggests that Target are dumping
> the GC!?!) What do other Aussie's think, or have I wandered into the
> only 4 or 5 stores that neglect the GC? What about the rest of the
> world??? Japan?
>
> In any case, personally I'm not that fussed about it - but it is a
> bit sad to see the decline of another great console (I also own a
> DC). Personally I don't think Nintendo did enough to shake the
> perception that their consoles are for kiddies that the N64 brought
> on (and a purple cube didn't help!).

Sounds just like a Warringah Mall GCN shopping experience. Who can defend
it? You should probably go online for games. I recommend
www.dvdcrave.com (based in South Australia) for PAL games. They've got a
better selection than any brick-and-mortar store I've seen and they're
cheaper. If you grow to like GCN games then I recommend that you get an
Action Replay or Freeloader so that you can bust out of the PAL
stranglehold. With one or two exceptions, NTSC games are much cheaper than
PAL and the choice is better (not to mention up-to-date). DvdCrave stocks
some NTSC games but your choices are wide open here. Even with shipping
and (should it happen) customs charges, buying NTSC games from a US or
Canadian online store is generally a lot cheaper than buying their PAL
counterparts here (if you can even find them).

BTW If you're into retro (2D) homebrew, have you considered the GBA? It
seems to have an intersting development scene going on.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:21:05 AM

Peter Mason wrote:

> Sounds just like a Warringah Mall GCN shopping experience. Who can
> defend it? You should probably go online for games. I recommend
> www.dvdcrave.com (based in South Australia) for PAL games.

Cool, thanks!

> If you grow to like GCN games then I recommend that you get an
> Action Replay or Freeloader so that you can bust out of the PAL
> stranglehold.

Hmmm, Action Replay looks interesting!

> Even with
> shipping and (should it happen) customs charges, buying NTSC games from a
> US or Canadian online store is generally a lot cheaper than buying their
> PAL counterparts here (if you can even find them).

Thanks for the tip!

> BTW If you're into retro (2D) homebrew, have you considered the GBA? It
> seems to have an intersting development scene going on.

Never was that interested in portable gaming. At leasty not until they have
enough grunt to be able to emulate the mid-late 80's arcade games comfortably!

Regards,

--
!