Sign in with
Your question

Lol anyone still rocking the dual core?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2011 10:51:39 PM

I still rock my E8500 + 4850 and I play skyrim @ 1080p on high - being primarily a gamer, the E8500 will satisfy me until the next gen of consoles come out and they actually bump up the specs for these modern games.

Anyone else still holding to their money and their dual core?

More about : lol rocking dual core

a c 886 à CPUs
December 4, 2011 11:03:37 PM

People are still building budget dual core rigs!
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2011 12:47:40 AM

A fast dual core is all I need. A dual core processor can be clocked higher than a quad core. I run electronic circuit simulators and unfortunately all simulators are single threaded so I have no need of more than two cores.
m
l
Related resources
a c 88 à CPUs
December 5, 2011 12:57:36 AM

i was glad to get rid of my dual core just recently. there are plenty of games that take advantage of 3 or 4 cores now, some games only run well with 3 or more cores. skyrim doesnt utilise much more than 2 cores. 4 cores do see a benefit in that skyrim, but will only give you 1-2 more fps, but when your dipping down to 23 fps in some towns, another 2 fps is noticeable. I wouldn't get less than a quad core if i was building a new pc, an exception would be a core i3 with HT.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2011 1:03:14 AM

werxen said:
I still rock my E8500 + 4850 and I play skyrim @ 1080p on high - being primarily a gamer, the E8500 will satisfy me until the next gen of consoles come out and they actually bump up the specs for these modern games.

Anyone else still holding to their money and their dual core?

Well, i'll say that im still using a mobile Pentium dual core (t2390) since 2008. Although I cant say im rocking with it. :/ 

Even with my planned budget build that's coming up. I still wont be going beyond a dual core cpu (for now anyways [:graywolf:8] )
m
l
a c 478 à CPUs
December 5, 2011 1:03:20 AM

I got a dual core E6600 in my HTPC it does it's job. I suppose my Q9450 will go into my HTPC whenever I decide to upgrade my primary rig.
m
l
a c 82 à CPUs
December 5, 2011 1:19:17 AM

imo right now dual core is the most widely used cpu. almost all the intel laptop cpus are dual core. from celeron to core i7 you get a dual core cpu.
in desktop, pcs with dual-core core i3, llano are still being built. core i3 and pentiums are still capable cpus for everyday stuff. they can perform nearly the same as the quad cores when coupled with a good gfx card. they can even beat older quad cores in gaming. atoms have dual cores as well.
amd's new line up has a dual module cpu - the fx 4100 (they marketed it as quad core, though). athlon ii x2 and ph ii x2 are approaching eol. they have dual core fusion apus for portable market.
m
l
December 5, 2011 1:41:44 AM

I plan on "downgrading" from a slow i7-720qm (1.6 GHz, quad core) to an i5-640M (2.8 GHz, dual core). From what I read, the i5-640M beats the i7 in everything except for 8+ threaded workloads, plus it's slightly cheaper and runs cooler. Maybe I can even OC the i5. The i7's TDP, voltage regulator and clock generator are locked.

My favorite game is SimCity 4, it's a single threaded game, and it runs like molasses on massive cities. It doesn't help the fact that Window 7 can't resist keeping all of the cores active, preventing the core that SC4 is being run on from being boosted past 1.73 GHz.

Until there's a decent game that can use more than 8 threads, I'm going to go ahead and "downgrade".
m
l
!