Sign in with
Your question

Laggy computer. please help.

Last response: in Components
December 3, 2011 4:21:24 PM

So I just built my computer earlier this week and i'm having some lag/freeze issues. Whenever i open up a program or even just open my web browser my computer starts to act a little choppy or freezes up for a few seconds at a time. It takes some time to load things and even right now as i'm typing it's a little choppy Is this normal when a computer is just built and it needs some time to break in or have I done something wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Here's the Hardware I'm using:

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Processor

GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 Motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB

CORSAIR 650TX 650W

More about : laggy computer

December 3, 2011 4:33:37 PM

Try to make an BIOS update if you didn't have the latest BIOS and you will see after that how is your PC moving.
m
l
December 3, 2011 5:13:55 PM

hey that seemed to do it! thanks a lot! you were amazing help!
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2011 5:15:30 PM

ok wait nvm. it's acting up the same way again...
m
l
December 5, 2011 1:57:40 AM

I posted already about how my computer is laggy at random when it shouldn't since I just built this system earlier this week. I've updated all my drivers from graphics card to the bios and I'm still having the same problem. The cursor skips randomly and on some programs that I use to run on my old machine flawlessly can't on this one which is really confusing. I would run Sony Vegas Pro 10 and I would import a video which would take a long time for it to import and when I press play the whole program would be non responsive. If anyone has any ideas or tips for me it would be much appreciated.

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Processor

GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 Motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB

CORSAIR 650TX 650W
m
l
December 5, 2011 2:07:03 AM

Do you still have the old computer laying around?

What parts do you have available that you can switch out with those you listed in order to test things?
m
l
December 5, 2011 2:09:33 AM

Look into that mouse driver some more. I've got this GE mouse at work that sounds like that.

With the Sony Vegas issue, I'm still inclined to think it's either a bad driver or a bad Sony Vegas install. Or...more likely, it's a codec issue. You just built the computer and likely don't have all the codecs you used to have. Download CCCP or something like that to update your codecs.
m
l
December 5, 2011 2:09:33 AM

yeah i still have the old computer here. i have all the parts. are you suggesting i should just swap things out to see what's defective?
m
l
December 5, 2011 2:22:27 AM

tnqko said:
yeah i still have the old computer here. i have all the parts. are you suggesting i should just swap things out to see what's defective?
That's the easiest way to troubleshoot hardware.

However, I'm not sure it's hardware (beyond the driver level) and I think you should still look at drivers/codecs.
m
l
December 5, 2011 2:24:23 AM

It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Some of them may require resetting the BIOS (like RAM) or may need to be uninstalled before the new one is installed (video card), but switching out possibly bad parts for known good parts is one of the quickest ways to narrow down what is causing problems and what isn't.

It also helps to be able to put the parts from your new computer into the old one.

If the video card from the old one works in both just fine and both the new and the old have the problem you are experiencing with the new video card in it, that would help narrow it down to a video card problem, for instance.

Most people don't have the luxury of a full suite of known good test equipment laying around, you might as well try to make some use of it.
m
l
December 5, 2011 2:33:14 AM

so i can't install my AMD SATA AHCI Driver or my AMD SATA RAID Driver because i don't have the ati catalyst install manager... i don't know how to get the install manager, i've been looking and not sure what to do. sorry i'm kind of in the learning process here.
m
l
December 5, 2011 2:37:52 AM

i'll test out all the hardware tomorrow. it's getting late but is it cool to message you and stuff? seems like you're gonna be the one helping me out haha
m
l
December 5, 2011 2:45:32 AM

yeah i'm getting my drivers from there
m
l
December 5, 2011 3:45:39 AM

Ehhh...I doubt you'll need the RAID or AHCI driver. If windows can recognize disks, you're fine.
m
l
December 5, 2011 3:47:45 PM

Better to just write what you want to tell me in this thread that way others like dalauder can see it and possibly help while I am away sleeping or doing other stuff.

The first thing I do when I get on to help people is to check for posts after mine in threads that I have posted in and I only start new ones when there are no more of those left, so I will see things in here just fine.
m
l
December 5, 2011 9:16:34 PM

Raiddinn thanks man. I've been looking at other threads and it just doesn't seem to help. But this is what I've done. I've taken my new hardware and swapped it with my older ones in the new machine and am still getting the same problem so I think that has to narrow down on the processor. I can't test out the CPU since the one in my old machine is intel.I guess the fx 6100 isn't what I should have gotten. Is the Phenom worth exchanging for?
m
l
December 5, 2011 9:34:06 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Newly built pc with some issues. help?
    m
    l
    December 5, 2011 11:34:41 PM

You know what? If you think it's the CPU or even can claim that it is, I say take advantage of that and return it for a Phenom II x4 960T Zosma. That's a cheaper, faster CPU.

According to Page 43 on your motherboard's manual, it supports core unlocking and you may be able to unlock that 960T to a hexacore: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_g...
    m
    l
    December 5, 2011 11:37:02 PM

yeah i tried to exchanged my cpu but i can only exchange it for the same make and model so i'm stuck with it. so now the biggest problem i have is that everytime i run ANY and EVERY video editing program it becomes non responsive. AND everytime i run Windows Media Player to watch a vid there's no sound but when i run VLC Player it works fine.
    m
    l
    December 6, 2011 1:35:12 PM

The Bulldozer processors weren't very warmly welcomes into the computer world, but they shouldn't be actively bad or anything.

If I had one I don't think I would spend the money to replace it with something else, but with my tech budget (no ipod, no smart phone, no ipad, etc) it just wouldn't be worth it.

Even if you had the money, I don't think I would tell you to switch it out. They don't beat prior gen tech, but they don't lose too much to it either from what I have read/heard.

I think the problem is most likely somewhere else.

Does your new hardware work fine in the other computer you have laying around?
    m
    l
    December 7, 2011 7:21:06 AM

Ok so the problem persists... I tried running Steam and Homefront to play the game and I got the blue screen of death. Here's the report:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 124
    BCP1: 0000000000000000
    BCP2: FFFFFA8008B967C8
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\120711-43274-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Tien\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-52603-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0...

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    m
    l
    December 7, 2011 1:29:17 PM

In my experience, Blue Screens of Death aren't usually related to processors.

I have seen many times that they were related to stuff like:
    1) Bad drivers
    2) Bad program installs
    3) Bad RAM
    4) Bad video cards

but not ever that it was a bad processor that I can think of.

Just randomly searching BCCode: 124 on the internet I read a few posts and everything seems to point to bad drivers.
    m
    l
    December 7, 2011 8:46:34 PM

BCCode: 124 is a general hardware failure

I have it all the time when I overclock--often from too high of a CPU OC or too low of a CPU voltage.

Your system isn't OC'd is it? Because that could be the cause of everything. That error should typically occur if one of your bios settings is wrong, but drivers can do it too. Are your bios settings on "Auto" or are they manual?

I think you should try to return your CPU and motherboard--saying that they can't merely give you another CPU because you're returning your motherboard for an Intel and it won't fit the socket.

Then after they give you the refund, go buy AMD's Phenom II x4 960T BE Zosma and the same motherboard (or any reasonably priced CFX or SLI capable AM3/AM3+).
    m
    l
    December 7, 2011 8:59:07 PM

Ok. I tried to start the game again to see what happens and I got a different code. Here it is:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 101
    BCP1: 0000000000000021
    BCP2: 0000000000000000
    BCP3: FFFFF88002F65180
    BCP4: 0000000000000002
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\120711-33852-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Tien\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-57891-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0...

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    m
    l
    December 7, 2011 9:04:00 PM

dalauder said:
    BCCode: 124 is a general hardware failure

I have it all the time when I overclock--often from too high of a CPU OC or too low of a CPU voltage.

Your system isn't OC'd is it? Because that could be the cause of everything. That error should typically occur if one of your bios settings is wrong, but drivers can do it too. Are your bios settings on "Auto" or are they manual?

I think you should try to return your CPU and motherboard--saying that they can't merely give you another CPU because you're returning your motherboard for an Intel and it won't fit the socket.

Then after they give you the refund, go buy AMD's Phenom II x4 960T BE Zosma and the same motherboard (or any reasonably priced CFX or SLI capable AM3/AM3+).

I have not OCed my cpu at all and I'm sure that my bios is at AUTO since I haven't messed with it since I put together this PC. Newegg said that they would give me another CPU but it has to be the same make and model and I could exchange the motherboard as well. CPUs are nonrefundable and I'm sure motherboards are the same way but maybe the CPU I got is a dud and maybe the next one will work fine.
    m
    l
    December 7, 2011 10:17:59 PM

tnqko said:
    I have not OCed my cpu at all and I'm sure that my bios is at AUTO since I haven't messed with it since I put together this PC. Newegg said that they would give me another CPU but it has to be the same make and model and I could exchange the motherboard as well. CPUs are nonrefundable and I'm sure motherboards are the same way but maybe the CPU I got is a dud and maybe the next one will work fine.
    Ask for their supervisor and see if that helps. Supervisors can often override standard policies.

You still may want to double check bios settings. How hot does your CPU get?

As far as the 101 error: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2491...
    BSOD Error codes and what they mean:
    0X00000050 << Incorrect Memory Timing/Freq or Uncore Multi
    0X00000124 << Incorrect QPI/Vtt Voltage (To Much/Not Enough)
    0X00000101 << Not enough Vcore Voltage
    m
    l
    December 9, 2011 9:29:55 PM

ok so i tried to increase the vcore and no changes. i think i might just exchange my cpu. for bccode 124 all my drivers are up to date and i've even swapped it from a machine i borrowed from a coworker and no changes there as well. does it look like i should maybe exchange my ram as well or just the cpu?
    m
    l
    December 10, 2011 1:58:26 AM

Normally, I would suggest people only change one thing out at a time rather than multiple items in one shot (unless people are generally upgrading, then motherboard, processor, and RAM should all be done at once, obviously).

This seems to be a normal sort of situation.
    m
    l
    December 11, 2011 4:46:38 PM

This is something else i tried. So I swapped the ram the video card and even the processor out from another machine and i still get the same problem. the only difference between the other machine and mine is that the other CPU is the amd fx 8120. and i still got the bccode 101. I'm not sure what to do here. i'm really frustrated and i feel that this is all beyond me at this point. if any of you have anymore suggestions please let me know.
    m
    l
    December 12, 2011 2:15:23 AM

If you switched out the RAM, Processor, and Video card from another computer into yours and it didn't work it sounds like a motherboard problem.

Can you put all those things in the other computer and see if they work in it?
    m
    l
    December 12, 2011 4:49:16 PM

i don't have the other computer anymore but you think it's just worth exchanging the motherboard with the processor? not like i'm able to run it anyways might as well.
    m
    l
    December 12, 2011 5:03:45 PM

Go ahead and return both. Worst case they will just send it back and say it is working.
    m
    l
    December 12, 2011 6:39:15 PM

Hi all,

I'm new, but here a suggestion...
    Has anybody thought to check for a bad/unreliable connection motherboard to hard disk? Dirty contacts, slightly corroded, bad SATA cable, bad power connector from the PSU to the hard disk?
    To me it sounds a little bit like this could very well be a disk access problem. Especially considering the problems with Sony Vegas... Unreliable data transfer, so lots of read attempts, errors, even resulting in blue screens if garbage comes out of the disk by that.
    Comments?
    Best
    Andy
    m
    l
    December 13, 2011 1:08:56 PM

ok so i put in a rma request for the processor and the motherboard. when i get the new ones back you think it's worth for me to just do a clen sweep of the whole system and reupdate all my drivers again?
    m
    l
    December 15, 2011 10:27:38 AM

Reinstalling everything from scratch can waste quite a lot of RL time, but it can also fix problems that come from installing and uninstalling a lot of things or someone misconfiguring things.

I don't think it is an awful idea to reinstall windows every 2 years or something, but I doubt its highly necessary in this instance.

Still, it couldn't hurt either.
    m
    l
    December 15, 2011 9:21:51 PM

yeah i figured out what happened. there's an actual version of the motherboard bios for a am3+ processor. and it's not the most recent one. so i thought the newest bios would also include the am3+ support but i guess not. now another thing is happening. my computer shuts off randomly. just started today.
    m
    l
    December 16, 2011 4:21:02 AM

Well, now, that looks as if you should really check your PSU. That could also be causing the other problems you mentioned. Any of the rails could eventually be unstable due to a defective capacitor or regulator.
    m
    l
    December 16, 2011 10:11:48 AM

Bad BIOS would make some sense because it did sound like a motherboard problem to me most recently. Though it does sound kinda retarded that the newest BIOS doesn't have support for AM3+.

... When.... does it shut off randomly? What are you doing when it shuts off randomly? Does it shut off only during gaming? Or perhaps while you are just doing nothing big like playing Minesweeper or typing in Word?

m
    l
    December 16, 2011 10:59:12 PM

atfirst it would turn off right after the splash screen on start up and then randomly while idle and sometimes when i start to play a pc game.
    m
    l
    !