Sign in with
Your question

2x 8GB vs 4x 4GB Memory setup

Last response: in Memory
September 12, 2012 3:49:19 AM

All stats being the same (besides the memory per chip) will there be any performance increase/decrease by using 4x 4GB chips vs a 2x8GB setup? I'd prefer to do the 2x setup for the simple fact of expansion slots later, but if there is a performance benefit now I'll probably get the 4x setup.

More about : 8gb 4gb memory setup

a c 174 } Memory
June 4, 2013 7:50:47 PM

:welcome: 
jaredmalcolm said:
All stats being the same (besides the memory per chip) will there be any performance increase/decrease by using 4x 4GB chips vs a 2x8GB setup? I'd prefer to do the 2x setup for the simple fact of expansion slots later, but if there is a performance benefit now I'll probably get the 4x setup.

Well, if your motherboard supports Quad Channel architecture then maybe going with 4 x 4GB should do okay, there isn't much performance gain unless on paper but yeah there is slight increase in performance.

Hypothetically speaking, suppose you compare DDR3-1600 CL9 2 x 8GB with DDR3-1600 CL8 4 x 4GB setup, then I would go with CL8 setup rather than CL9. FYI, Higher the CL latency lower the speed and vice-versa. Also lower clock speeds have lower CL latencies (eg. DDR3-1066 CL6)

In the end, it depends on the application you run, the motherboard or laptop max memory limit per slot and the budget you are on. Both the configurations are good but it depends on each user's usage. 16GB is a good enough for almost all the applications even with mutliple GPU's so I would go with 4 x 4GB as I won't be anymore memory.

If you need memory then the following sites should help:
newegg or Memorystock.com.

Hope that helps. Sayonara :sourire: 
m
l
Related resources
!