What is this computer component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABarge

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is even the right spot to post a question about identifying a piece of hardware, however, since I didn't know what it was I couldn't narrow down where this post should go.

Long story short I purchased parts to put together my 3rd home system build. When I opened up the case and started putting it all together I noticed a little device screwed to the side of my case and had no idea what it was. It has a 4 pin power output plus 2 sata outputs. What the heck is it?

Below is a link to a picture I took of it to help identify it.

http://postimage.org/image/q8ehft6kb/

Solution
that looks exactly like a SATA backplane, but I can't tell where it is in your case. you would connect sata and power to it if you wanted to use it and the there would be a spot on the opposite side to slide a drive in that would line up and connect to power and SATA ports on the other side of the board. i have seen these on the top, side, in the actual harddrive mounting area, in the bottom front, behind the bottom 5.25 drive bays etc. the bay is probably behind a panel of some sort and may or may not use a drive tray
that looks exactly like a SATA backplane, but I can't tell where it is in your case. you would connect sata and power to it if you wanted to use it and the there would be a spot on the opposite side to slide a drive in that would line up and connect to power and SATA ports on the other side of the board. i have seen these on the top, side, in the actual harddrive mounting area, in the bottom front, behind the bottom 5.25 drive bays etc. the bay is probably behind a panel of some sort and may or may not use a drive tray

Solution

ABarge

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
This was inside a Cooler Master HAF 942 case. A call to Cooler Master this morning confirmed it was SATA hot swap plate. Apparently you plug in a 4 pin power from the PSU, a cable from motherboard to this board, and the other connector is for the cord from the front of the panel to hot swap sata drives. Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.