Scanning Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am about to scan some old 35mm slides. What is the best recommended
resolution to scan for:

a-burning to a DVD
b-printing (4x6)
c-viewing on a computer.

My scanner allows me to go as high as 2400 dpi.

Thanks in advance

This depends a lot on how good your slides are. Scanning at 2400 is
generally better but can take a long time with some scanners and would
be a bit of a waste for just viewing on the computer screen. You will
have to do some test to see how much detail is in your slides and then
scan accordingly. If you were shooting with a good low speed film and
a good prime lens then 2400 might be a good resolution to scan at, if
on the other hand you used ISO 400 film and the kit lens that came with
the camera you might find that 1200 DPI is good enough.

Make some scans of the same slide at different resolutions and see both
how they look and how they print, this is the only way to know for sure
what you need.

Scott

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:37:46 -0500, "KSB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>I am about to scan some old 35mm slides. What is the best recommended
>resolution to scan for:
>
>a-burning to a DVD
>b-printing (4x6)
>c-viewing on a computer.
>
>My scanner allows me to go as high as 2400 dpi.

Scan once at 2400 for all three then:

a: Keep it at 2400 (assuming data DVD)
b: Keep it at 2400 (print up to 8x10 without issue)
c: resample to a reasonable resolution. Maybe 1024x768 (but this will
change for future PCs)

Buy some beers, scanning like this takes time.

If you only want to do c), there no need to go as high as 2400dpi.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

> I am about to scan some old 35mm slides.
> What is the best recommended resolution to scan for:

Scanning resolution is usually based on:
o Is it for archiving?
---- in which case scan at the highest resolution possible
---- minimises handling & retains best detail if slide gets lost
o What is the output device capability?
---- in which case you may need far less, screens are <200dpi

Since "old" slides I would put the emphasis on archiving:
o Archive folder -- highest resolution, unretouched
o Viewing folder -- appropriate resolution, retouched

Scratch/dust removal software improves over time, hence it
may be useful to store the image raw before such filters.

> My scanner allows me to go as high as 2400 dpi.

Check the optical resolution - you may find no real benefit
in going higher, depends on the s/w interpolation & other tricks.

An archive is only as good as the media:
o Well worth using 2 media types -- simplest is HD & DVD
o There is no future-proof archival media, change with technology

Spent too many hours putting CDs in a freezer to create a longer
time-window before media heating made them unreadable. Glad I
did not do big ZIPs, getting biggish files off was touch n go.
Some original Kodak CDs (perhaps laser didn't record to spec),
some within the past 2yrs - so don't overly trust digital archives.

So test the readability of archives often :)
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

KSB <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
: I am about to scan some old 35mm slides. What is the best recommended
: resolution to scan for:

: a-burning to a DVD
: b-printing (4x6)
: c-viewing on a computer.

: My scanner allows me to go as high as 2400 dpi.

: Thanks in advance

Scan the slides at 2400dpi and burn the images to a DVD. You can then resize
them later to whaterver size you need.

fwp@deepthought.com