Your question

Going from AMD to Intel

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • AMD
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
September 12, 2012 12:25:58 PM

Heres my situation. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 830 processor and a stock HP motherboard. I have purchased and am upgrading to an ASUS Maximus V Gene and an i5-3570k processor. I have a couple of questions in regards to the swap.

1. Can I just plug back in my hard drive and will windows boot normally and just install drivers from there since Im going from AMD to intel? Whats the best way to make this switch on the fly?

2. This board only has HDMI out and my monitors are VGA or DVI. I have an ATI graphics card with dual DVI out that supports my dual monitors. Will I be able to just plug that card in and have it work from the first boot up since the drivers are already installed on the hard drive?

I hope this is the right section for this and thanks a million for any help.

More about : amd intel

a c 104 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
September 12, 2012 12:41:38 PM

1)Need a new copy of windows to reinstall. OEM license only work for the HP.
2)Answer #1.
m
l
September 12, 2012 12:59:13 PM

Seriously? I dont get the logic in that. This just got a lot more expensive.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2012 1:10:10 PM

gablett said:
Seriously? I dont get the logic in that. This just got a lot more expensive.

The logic is money. System builders want to get the OS as cheap as possible, so MS offers them an OEM version that is tied to that system(motherboard). The logic here is that most people will replace the whole system rather than upgrade it.
m
l
September 13, 2012 4:12:40 PM

I went down to staples and just bought a new full copy. $199. Wish I had thought ahead and just done this once windows 8 is out. Oh well. Its so nice not having an OEM version of 7 on here filled with all their crap. I think it installed in like 10 minutes.

Got the PC up and running. Decided to go the Intel route. Went with the i5 3570K on the Asus Maximus V Gene MB. Upgraded to 16mb of Corsair ram. Installed my Gigabyte super over clock HD5770 GPU and its rocking. Upgraded to a 550 watt Antec PSU. Big time upgrade. I had a 5400 RPM SATA II and the real reason I wanted to upgrade is faster Hard Drive so now I have a 7200 RPM SATA III. Much nicer.
m
l
September 13, 2012 4:18:32 PM

How well is the Asus Maximus V Gene + i5 3570K going? That might be my next upgrade :D 

- Samo
m
l
September 14, 2012 12:21:17 AM

I really like it. That is one of the best motherboards i looked at and certainly the btasking. ve owned. Super full featured, and some cool add ons. You can tell its quality, very heavy. As for the processor i was gonna go 2500, but glad i spent a little more and got this one. Huge difference from my amd. Like massive difference in multi tasking. I was always an amd fan but after some bulldozer research i went intel and i love it. Gear motherboard and processor.
m
l
September 14, 2012 10:13:48 AM

That's great! I'm either geting the ASUS Maxims V Gene, IV Formula or the P8Z77-V LK/Pro. It's a tough decision! :) 

- Samo
m
l
!