Sign in with
Your question

Lockup issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2011 10:53:24 PM

I don't know if this is the right place for this but I couldn't really find anywhere much better.

Motherboard: EVGA nForce 790i SLI Ultra, 132-CK-NF79
Processor: Intel Core2 Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: Patriot Signature 4GB DDR3 PC10600 1333MHz CL9/HS (PSD34G13332H) (I realize xp home only recognizes 3 gigs)
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeFore GTX 260
PSU: Coolermaster 850w, product no. RS-850-EMBA
Also running a sound card, Creative X-Fi Platinum

Hello these are my system specs. Sometimes, randomly during video playback and games my computer locks up. The display remains in place and the sound loops. The keyboard and mouse are also non-responsive so most of the time I need to hard reboot. It only happens in games and during videos. This happens regardless of temperature, so it is not a heat issue.
I've tried latest drivers and older drivers to no avail. I've tried using the onboard sound without the sound card. I've done a fresh install of Windows also to no avail. I've run memtest and haven't found any errors. Occasionally I can get back to desktop after a long delay, but most of the time it gets to a point where there is simply no response. If I was in a Skype call during the lockup, the sound from the Skype still works for some time while the game sound loops before a full lockup.
I don't have much spare parts to test any faulty hardware, so pinpointing the problem is proving difficult so far. Things I have yet to rule out are GPU, RAM, motherboard, PSU, CPU. Though I am fairly sure it isn't the memory or motherboard because they are very new and passed Memtest without errors.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm fairly stumped at this point.

More about : lockup issues

July 5, 2011 2:58:38 AM

What do you have all the voltages set to in the bios? all of em, cpu, mem, northbridge, southbridge, etc?

Running any overclocks? If so, go stock.

Any BIOS updates avail. for mobo?

If your grfx card is factory overclocked, try underclocking it... u wont waste too much time testing it anyway and try to repeat the issue.

If I had to guess, I'd put my money on the motherboard, and more specifically, the nvidia chipset. Unfortunately, the only way to prove it would be swapping it out for an intel chipset board, which I assume is unavailable.

Just for completeness sake, latest drivers for video card and the nvidia chipset. latest bios for motherboard. i'd never do it myself, but a bios change on the video card is a long shot, so long in fact im not sure i should even mention it. Let's say you run the gambit of every other possibility then http://www.mvktech.net/ would have grfx card bios and flash utilities. I've just said this for completeness sake and adding it as a last ditch effort and would never flash my own grfx card.
m
l
July 5, 2011 4:10:44 AM

system voltages:
CPU Core: (1.25v)
CPU FSB: (1.20v)
Memory: (1.500v)
nForce SPP: (1.30v)
nForce MCP: (1.50v)

I don't have any overclocking done, its all at stock. I already have the latest BIOS update.

Also, I found out it doesn't even have to be during video playback or games, it happens even just at desktop or web browsing. It seems to lockup randomly, screen stays at the same frame, if there was sound playing, it loops and no input is registered.

edit: the lockups are much more severe now, I can't even get past the XP loading screen unless I go through safe mode and even then its a matter of minutes before locking up.
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2011 5:17:46 AM

If Im reading correctly, you have 1 stick of ram that's 4gb. 1333mhz at cas 9. Did you specify all the factory timings or are they set to automatic? You would know more about your board... is it 8gb total ram over the 4 slots? Is there a maximum recommended per ram slot? i did a little googling on the board but you prob have the manual for it...

im using the 790i's lil brother, 750i but only had issues with too aggressive overclocks.

The ideal scenario would be running a pair of identical ram chips in the black slots, up to 2000mhz... that also are listed on the board's compatibility list.
m
l
July 5, 2011 5:49:35 AM

I have the memory timing set at 9-9-9-24 in BIOS. The mobo supports up to 8 gb over the 4 slots. There doesn't appear to be a maximum per slot
m
l
July 5, 2011 6:33:41 PM

If you don't get a lot of traffic here on Tom's, you may have better success over at EVGA's forums. I've read a few posts there where people end up with good results with temperamental mobo / ram combinations. It'll likely come down to adjusting clocks, timing, and voltages. Sorry I can't help more.
m
l
!