Sign in with
Your question

Is this overkill for BF3 online gameplay at Max settings?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Processors
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2011 10:16:19 AM

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache)-

iBUYPOWER PowerDrive 1 x PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking-

Processor Cooling: Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel)-ARC Dual Silent High Perfornamce Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

Memory: 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module-Corsair Vengeance

Video Card: 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 - 3GB - SLI Mode

Motherboard: [SLI] Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3-

Power Supply: 1000 Watt -- CoolerMaster RSA00-AMBAJ3-US-

Primary Hard Drive 1 x 120 GB Corsair Force Series GT SSD-Single Drive

Data Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s-Single Drive

Sound Card 1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio-

Network Card 1 x Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card-

Operating System 1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

More about : overkill bf3 online gameplay max settings

September 5, 2011 10:20:47 AM

Yes. Major overkill.

BF3 should be easily able to run maxed out on a single GTX 580. Especially in multi-player.

i7-2600k is necessary unless your doing alot of video rendering/encoding. In terms of gaming the i5-2500k will perform just the same and save you a nice lump of cash.

NIC and Sound Card are fairly necessary aswell. They probably wont provide any noticeable difference compared to the onboard audio/networking on the motherboard.

16GB of RAM - overkill. 8GB is more than enough. Games are developed with 32-bit windows in mind meaning they will almost never, if ever at all, utilise more than 4GB of RAM.

HDD - Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB 7200RPM are the current "HDD of choice" performing very well in terms of speed and reliability along with a very convincing price tag.

PSU - CoolerMaster PSU's tend to be avoided, although their SilentPro range has been reviewed fairly well. Brands worth considering usually consist of Corsair, XFX, SeaSonic, Enermax, Antec
m
l
September 5, 2011 10:57:30 AM

Said perfectly there... My only extra is that you could save with not paying for that OC they put on the CPU too. Overclocking any of the Intel sandy bridge 'k' series processors is incredibly easy, I promise.
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2011 11:04:15 AM

JackMomma said:
Said perfectly there... My only extra is that you could save with not paying for that OC they put on the CPU too. Overclocking any of the Intel sandy bridge 'k' series processors is incredibly easy, I promise.

+1 to this too.

The motherboard comes with auto overclocking features where you literally just click "overclock" and it does it all for you, to a stable setting.

20% on an i5-2500k is a very minor overclock aswell to be honest. Im running mine at 4.4GHz (using ASUS Auto overclock) and that was a 34% performance increase which obviously didn't cost me a penny (a cent, if your american :p )
m
l
September 5, 2011 3:12:28 PM

instead of that cooler master psu get the ocz zx 1000 it scored very well on jonnyguru and the 1000w silent pro did not
m
l
September 5, 2011 3:52:32 PM

I would recommend building your own, it may seem intimidating, but it really is easy. There are tons of guides on the internet that would assist you. You will also save money doing so.
m
l
September 5, 2011 4:36:52 PM

zooted said:
I would recommend building your own, it may seem intimidating, but it really is easy. There are tons of guides on the internet that would assist you. You will also save money doing so.

and NewEgg have a huge 3 part guide on EXACTLY what to do, step by step incase you get stuck :) 

The main build part (part2) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
m
l
September 5, 2011 5:31:04 PM
September 5, 2011 5:55:20 PM

This would be a good build. I would just get 1600MHz RAM. I don't think anything over that is necessary. As for the case, if you want to get a Corsair case, the 400R is on Newegg and in terms of aappearance and space it isn't much different than the 500R, but cheaper though.
m
l
September 5, 2011 9:52:23 PM

AbdullahG said:
This would be a good build. I would just get 1600MHz RAM. I don't think anything over that is necessary. As for the case, if you want to get a Corsair case, the 400R is on Newegg and in terms of aappearance and space it isn't much different than the 500R, but cheaper though.

there is actually a big performance jump from 1600 to 1866mhz and considering how cheap it has gotten it is a good deal. the 400r doesnt come with many fans so the 500r is a better deal if you want good airflow
m
l
September 5, 2011 9:55:40 PM

In everyday application your not going to notice the difference between 1600MHz and 1866MHz...benchmarking is about the only time you'll see a few different numbers.

1600MHz CL9 really is the best price vs. performance option currently.

Corsair Vengeance is more than $30 more on NewEgg for 1866, i certainly dont deem that to be worth it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 5, 2011 11:06:13 PM

AdrianPerry said:
In everyday application your not going to notice the difference between 1600MHz and 1866MHz...benchmarking is about the only time you'll see a few different numbers.

1600MHz CL9 really is the best price vs. performance option currently.

Corsair Vengeance is more than $30 more on NewEgg for 1866, i certainly dont deem that to be worth it.

55$-70$ that is a 15$ difference for gskill 8gb sniper ram
m
l
September 5, 2011 11:18:18 PM

At what screen resolution you are planning to play? I believe that at 1080P it is kind of overkill but future proof... I went for a 2600k and 2x HD6950 and under BC2 it is an overkill

Over 1080P or with multiple screens or 3d is just perfect...

have fun and if you can afford it get it and enjoy it...

PS a second ssd in raid 0 will be just amazing loading levels way earlier than the other players... It will take you some effor prepairing a raid divers cd...
m
l
September 5, 2011 11:28:18 PM

What's your ping?
m
l
September 6, 2011 1:54:11 AM

You should really build your own, but if you don't I'd recommend a company like Digital Storm or maybe MainGear MUCH higher over iBuyPower or CyberPower. Not only will you be getting better parts, but your system will actually work when it arrives. On the off chance it doesn't you get to deal with some of the best CS in the industry, rather than some of the worst. Digital Storm has been around for nearly a decade now I think and always maintained an A+ BBB rating.

Meanwhile I've heard of other companies sticking cheaper parts in because they were out of what was ordered and just hope the customer never noticed, come with serious heat issues, not stable, all sorts of headaches.
m
l
September 6, 2011 5:18:22 PM

Has anyone run it out of Alpha yet? That's news to me.
m
l
!