Mid-range CPU for gaming?

overheat

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
My current CPU is AMD Athlon X2 5000+, and it is a clear bottleneck in the more demanding games (BF3, ARMA II) as lowering video settings wont do a thing to increase FPS. I have been looking at the phenom X4 9XX CPUs, would they be good for gaming for the next few years? Intels CPUs seem a bit overkill and are too pricey, as my price range would be about 140€ tops for the CPU and ofcourse about a hundred more for the mobo.

Also, my GPU is Nvidia GTS 450, not the greatest but it gets the job done.

FlutterGuy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I can personally vouch for the Phenom II X4 955. It runs BF3 seamlessly at 1920x1080 and high settings, paired with a HD 6870 GPU. It would be well within your price range, so you could get a 965 instead. Or your could spend the extra money on a decent aftermarket CPU cooler, since the stock fan with this processor can be a bit noisy when it gets hot.

As for longevity, this processor should be good for at least a couple of years. And it's apparently not bad as far as overclocking goes, which is a good option to have in reserve

FlutterGuy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I can't speak for the FX-4100. But there has been a lot of disappointment with the Bulldozer chips, mostly because they suck compared to Sandy Bridge.

Read this:

http://www.techspot.com/review/452-amd-bulldozer-fx-cpus/

and make your mind up.

tl;dr There probably won't be much difference for gaming. But they're about the same price, and the Bulldozer one is newer and technically better, so I'd probably go for that

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
The disappointment with BD is that they suck against Debeb/Thuban (Phenom II) per core/mhz.

If you don't plan on overclocking go for the i3-2100 if you have a tight budget.

If you do plan on overclocking, a Phenom II X4 may be a stellar deal.

FlutterGuy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

That was my plan for my 955 - use it stock for a while, then overclock it at some point in the future. But I've got a bit of spare cash now, so I'm probably just going to sell it and get an Ivy Bridge i5 next year.

On a budget the 955 is a really good processor, I would definitely recommend it