Search Assistant Pest

The search assistant suddenly appeared one day in the task
bar. There is no option to disable it or get rid of it
permanently. I can right click on it and it lets me
uncheck it, but it always comes back on startup. I tried
to remove it from the add/remove programs in control panel
but it isn't there. Is this a virus or adware or where did
it come from? Am I the only one who thinks this thing is
annoying? How can I rid myself of this pest?
7 answers Last reply
More about search assistant pest

    yes this is adware if you download the free adware 6.0 and run it it should go away if you have never ran an adware program you will probably be really surprised how much is actually on your computer. You can get it at zdnet or cnet.

    jackie

    "Steff" wrote:

    > The search assistant suddenly appeared one day in the task
    > bar. There is no option to disable it or get rid of it
    > permanently. I can right click on it and it lets me
    > uncheck it, but it always comes back on startup. I tried
    > to remove it from the add/remove programs in control panel
    > but it isn't there. Is this a virus or adware or where did
    > it come from? Am I the only one who thinks this thing is
    > annoying? How can I rid myself of this pest?

    Thanks for your reply jackie. I installed the program on
    each of the three accounts in Windows XP and ran the
    program. I had it make a detailed scan, delete all the
    adware found (there were tonnes!), but the search bar is
    still there on startup (after rebooting a bunch of times).
    Any other suggestions?

    Steff

    Steff wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply jackie. I installed the program on
    > each of the three accounts in Windows XP and ran the
    > program. I had it make a detailed scan, delete all the
    > adware found (there were tonnes!), but the search bar is
    > still there on startup (after rebooting a bunch of times).
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Steff

    AdAware is a good program, but it cannot remove every parasite that is out
    there. Like it or not, you need to learn some things about spyware and how
    to protect yourself or your future online computing experience will be less
    than satisfying.

    Go to this website first to see the extent of this problem.
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Try these programs to check for and remove any spyware that may be on your
    system:

    Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    CWShredder - http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

    If you are still experiencing spyware related problems, go to the following
    website:

    http://forum.aumha.org

    Click Register to join the forums and then go to the "Parasites - Adware,
    Spyware & Other Scumware" forum for advice and guidance on how to clean your
    system.

    Try SpyWareBlaster to stop/prevent intrusions:

    Also see the following links:

    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org

    Thanks Ronnie!

    I did eventually get rid of the search assistant pest. All
    I did was go to its website and there were instructions on
    how to remove it right there...go figure...

    Steff

    Hey I have the same problem. What is the website that you went to to remove
    it? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
    James

    "Steff" wrote:

    > Thanks Ronnie!
    >
    > I did eventually get rid of the search assistant pest. All
    > I did was go to its website and there were instructions on
    > how to remove it right there...go figure...
    >
    > Steff

    http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
    look for: Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar

    "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey I have the same problem. What is the website that you went to to remove
    > it? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
    > James
    >
    > "Steff" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Ronnie!
    >>
    >> I did eventually get rid of the search assistant pest. All
    >> I did was go to its website and there were instructions on
    >> how to remove it right there...go figure...
    >>
    >> Steff

    I renamed all the files and restarted my computer, and Search Assistant
    disappeared, but so did all but 3 or 4 of the icons from my taskbar. How do
    I get rid of SA but keep keep my original icons?
    Thanks
    James